Menu

10,000 steps a day. Arg!

Halcyon

I got the jawbone Up for Christmas and gosh darn it, turns out i don't walk much! When I lived in manhattan, I walked everywhere, all the time. Miles a day. But in Florida? Not so much.

It doesn't track activities like yoga, but even without tracking those activities, I am still trying to it 10,000 steps. I walk the dogs for 20 to 30 minutes every morning, which is 2500 or so. Then I need to do my treadmill daily for 40 minutes for another 5000.... And then....there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day! Maybe I need to start jogging again.

Any tips? I thought I was taking more "steps" at work than I am! Anyone else using the jawbone? Maybe I need to start logging my non walking activities like yoga? I don't even know how to do that.

Tips you probably already know

park farther away

walk all the aisles at the grocery store

take the dogs for a second walk in the evening

Also, give yourself some time to work up to 10,000 steps. It's ok.

Challenge yourself with the 1,000,000 (yes, a million) step challenge. You can do a million steps in about 3 months when you get up to 10,000 a day.

I started tracking my steps in April 2009, I am up to a total of about 10,100,000 steps since then. I obviously don't get 10,000 a day, but with my pedometer I still try to get in a few more steps.

Best wishes.

I also got a Fitbit Zip a couple of months ago.  I thought the thing was broken when it said I only walked 5k steps/day, LOL!  But, then I realized how much of the day I really am sedentary, doing school work, etc.  I always work out for an hour in the AM, but that wasn't enough to offset all the sitting over the rest of the day.

I started by pacing around the house for 10-15 minutes after lunch and supper, usually reading my Kindle.  I slowly upped that to 20-30 minutes.  Then dh got me a treadmill for my birthday!  Now I walk for about 40 minutes (watching TV shows on my iPod) after lunch and another 20 (reading my Kindle) after supper.  These are activities I would have done anyway (watching TV and reading) but it is now subtracted from my sedentary time and burning more calories!

These devices are super motivating to get off our behinds!

This is very timely!  I asked for and received a pedometer as a gift.  I've noticed that on work days (full time in an office), I rack up a pitiful number of steps for the day.  On the days I'm home and busy around the house and running errands, I easily approach 8,000 steps without any extra effort!  When I add in a long walk, I'll hit 12,000+ steps.

Just supports my theory that my job is killing me.  :glare:   I need to make more effort to take long lunchtime walks from the office or just walk the long hallways and staircases when the weather is atrocious.

I've been using a FitBit Zip for about a month and am having similar issues getting in as many steps a day as I'd like--and that's even after setting a lower goal than 10K. I work in an office, and on weekdays my step count is quite a bit less than on the weekend. When I'm not running errands on my lunch break, I read. I really don't want to give up that reading time, but I plan to add some walking time when it's warmer. I like the idea to base my goal at 500 steps more than my baseline rather than the mostly arbitrary goal I set before.

That's funny you started this thread b/c I just got a smartphone (out of convenience; not interested in smartphones just to have one and I'm not techy) and one of my apps in "S Health".  It's on my Samsung Android.  Two weeks ago I started the app to find calorie counting, exercise and walking mate.  I saw walking mate suggests 10,000 steps a day.  I thought "how" would I be able to do that in a day for the reasons you listed - it's time consuming and here we get to the end of the day "again" earlier than planned. 

I wear it for walking around the house, running errands, walking/exercising.  Now, when I haven't walked as much, I'll march in place and fix dinner.  Or, at least try as it's hard to do.  Still, you can walk, run, march in place while watching tv or talking on the phone to catch up. 

Also, I'm looking at it this way.  I have a much better idea what 10,000 steps looks like.  Even if I don't reach my daily goal, I'm still making an improvement over where I was.  This can be a transition phase for me.  Spend the next 3-6 months to understand what 10,000 steps looks/feels like.  I "think" it's about 3.3 - 3.5 miles, right?  I've been walking for decades, but have slacked off with time.  I used to walk 3.3, ironically (on my long route).  So, I have a trail for that.  Now, I need to get used to the stamina that it will take and will build up to it.

You can do it!  I can do it!

:bigear:

I got my FitBit Zip about 2 months ago. I've been trying to get in my walks in the morning, but it's so cold. Ok we don't have snow and ice like the east, but my eyes water and my nose start to run. I wish it would count walking in place as many times I'll just do a Lesli Sansone video.

What I'd really like to do is take the kids out for a walk after lunch. It will help add to my count and get them out and about. I was really good about it last year.

I wish the Zip was more consistent about registering steps when you're walking in place or doing side-steps. I had thought it would be a good way to track steps from Leslie DVDs, too, but it doesn't. My old cheapie pedometer was better for that!

Does the Fitbit track "steps" when on the stationary bike?  I haven't used mine in ages and it did track "steps" when I did kickboxing in the Spring.

It didn't track them for me when I tried it -- and it was pretty worthless on the treadmill, too -- but I was thinking that maybe it might work if you clipped the Fitbit onto the top of a sock or even somewhere on your shoe, but I wouldn't count on it.

It didn't track them for me when I tried it -- and it was pretty worthless on the treadmill, too -- but I was thinking that maybe it might work if you clipped the Fitbit onto the top of a sock or even somewhere on your shoe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bummer.  I will try the sock thing, though, just to see.

I told my cardiologist about this (that I was aiming for 10K daily steps) and I will share what he said to me.

"That is great that you walk ten thousand steps a day, but if you're not spending a minimum of 20 minutes a day walking at a pace that reaches a target heart rate, you're not doing anything to strengthen your heart, no matter how many steps you take."

That was kind of a bummer to hear! But, since he is a handsome young man and said it with a smile, I didn't let it discourage me. But I will ENcourage you all to spend some of those steps in high gear, at least a few times a week.

Also, I have found that when I hula-hoop, my pedometer counts the swinging action as steps.  ;)

My Up is not always entirely accurate, but the reason why makes perfect sense.  The Up tracks steps based on a forward/backward swing of the bracelet.  If you are holding a purse, a child, cup, or anything else (like a grocery store cart) that prevents you from swinging your arm when you walk, the Up will not track those steps.  I've lost tons of steps because I hold my purse on that shoulder, I hold my iPhone while walking or various other things.  I've learned to be more aware of what my left arm is doing throughout the day if I'm really pushing for steps.  It took me about 6 months and then I stopped worrying about it so much.  It just became a way for me to monitor an average of sleep and steps.

I wish the Zip was more consistent about registering steps when you're walking in place or doing side-steps. I had thought it would be a good way to track steps from Leslie DVDs, too, but it doesn't. My old cheapie pedometer was better for that!

Might you need a new battery or something? Mine tracks great in a treadmill, stairclimber, walking in place (which I'm doing right now) or anything, really.

My fitbit tracks steps on my treadmill and while cycling.   I walk a lot at work but it's not strenuous. I get a lot more out of 10,000 steps on a treadmill or cycling than I do when I spread it out over a whole day.  In other words, I get home from work with 15,000 steps and I'm tired but haven't actually worked out. But after I cycle for an hour and a half, I have done a LOT more work than my workday walking. 

Might you need a new battery or something? Mine tracks great in a treadmill, stairclimber, walking in place (which I'm doing right now) or anything, really.

Thanks!

I wonder if positioning makes a difference. I have had my Zip for months, and I just assumed they were all like mine, because my ds's Zip doesn't count marching in place or treadmill steps, either. We both wear it at our waistband -- where do you wear yours?

Thanks!

I wonder if positioning makes a difference. I have had my Zip for months, and I just assumed they were all like mine, because my ds's Zip doesn't count marching in place or treadmill steps, either. We both wear it at our waistband -- where do you wear yours?

I wear mine on my waistband, too.

I clip mine to the waistband of my underwear. I've found this to be most accurate, since it is actually against my hip and moves with my body, rather than relying on how much my pants move (which varies with style, fit, etc.).

Mine is also quite accurate, especially on the treadmill or walking around the block. It doesn't always register small, slow steps, like turning from the sink to the fridge and back. I consciously try to put more effort and movement into those small steps so they'll count.

I don't check often, but when I do it's on my phone. lol.

I'm pretty consistent with my routine, so I have a fairly accurate idea of how many steps I've taken in the day. 

Oh yeah, I can check it on my phone. I'm over 50 and it shows...technology sometimes escapes me.