Menu

Fantastic Korean TV series on Netflix- The Great Doctor

NoPlaceLikeHome

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen that one.  It's not bad.  It drags a little once you hit a certain point - I think they could have gotten by with making it 20 episodes rather thanĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ is it 24?  Can't remember.  Maybe even 16.  

I've seen all of LMH's stuff.  :lol:  I could recommend Korean Dramas til the cows come homeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ :D

Secret Garden was my 'gateway' lol.  :D  

I almost never have second male lead syndrome (smls :lol: ) but I sort of did by the end of Heirs.  Woo Bin kept getting more and more likable, dang it!  :D

I'm currently watching 'Marry Him if you Dare' and that oneĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I honestly don't know.  There are the two male leads, right, and I can't tell which one I really like her with - when she's with one, I'm like, yeah, definitely him.  Then she's with the other one and I think the exact same thing!!  It's a conundrum unlike any other I've experienced in a kdrama - and I've seen a lot.  

A few years ago I somehow landed on a Korean movie on YouTube which is now on Netflix called "200 Pound Beauty."  

Totally unbelievable (girl does voice-overs for Korean pop star, secretly in love with her manager/boss, has plastic surgery to lose a bunch of weight)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ but an enjoyable 1-1/2 hours nevertheless. 

I have to wait until series are over to watch, so "Marry Him if you Dare" will have to be next on my list ;)

"200Lbs Beauty" was a super fun to watch! Loved the main/end song too.

If anyone wants another period action drama to watch, "Damo" was fantastic. After "Secret Garden" I had to go back and watch Ha Ji Won's earlier works (main actress for both). She is awesome. I cant wait to see her new comedy film when it finally is released and subbed.

I am totally addicted to KDramas...and The Great Doctor was was my gateway LOL.  Once I watched TGD, I watched everything with Lee Min Ho.  You could say I have a slight crush on him.  Here are some of my favorites:

Boys over Flowers (LMH)

City Hunter (LMH)

Personal Taste (LMH)

Heirs (LMH)

Historical

Jang Ok Jeong, Lives in Love

The Moon Embracing the Sun

The Princess's Man

Modern

Secret Garden

My Princess

You're Beautiful

Playful Kiss (This is the Korean version of a Japanese Manga story.  There is also a Japanese version "Mischievous Kiss and a Taiwanese version "It Started with a Kiss" and the sequel "They Kiss Again."  I love them all actually)
Goong

Heart Strings

You can probably get some of these on Netflix, but the rest can be found on Dramafever.com, and Viki.com.  Both are free and carry the newer dramas that may not be on Netflix yet. 

Secret Garden was my 'gateway' lol.   :D

I almost never have second male lead syndrome (smls :lol: ) but I sort of did by the end of Heirs.  Woo Bin kept getting more and more likable, dang it!   :D

I'm currently watching 'Marry Him if you Dare' and that oneĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I honestly don't know.  There are the two male leads, right, and I can't tell which one I really like her with - when she's with one, I'm like, yeah, definitely him.  Then she's with the other one and I think the exact same thing!!  It's a conundrum unlike any other I've experienced in a kdrama - and I've seen a lot.  

Even though I love LMH...I have to say Woo Bin was reeling me in during Heirs!  Wish he had more shows we could see him in. 

Have you watched Gu family book?  You might like that one, if you like Faith/The Great Doctor.  I liked GFB better, personally.   :)

Does it have Lee Min Ho? Is that the name of the general in the Great Doctor? He was great! i just finished the series. I was afraid to check back since there might be spoilers!

Can we list similar ones to great Doctor?

I am totally addicted to KDramas...and The Great Doctor was was my gateway LOL.  Once I watched TGD, I watched everything with Lee Min Ho.  You could say I have a slight crush on him.  Here are some of my favorites:

Boys over Flowers (LMH)

City Hunter (LMH)

Personal Taste (LMH)

Heirs (LMH)

Historical

The Princess's Man

Modern

Secret Garden

My Princess

You're Beautiful

Playful Kiss (This is the Korean version of a Japanese Manga story.  There is also a Japanese version "Mischievous Kiss and a Taiwanese version "It Started with a Kiss" and the sequel "They Kiss Again."  I love them all actually)

Goong

Heart Strings

You can probably get some of these on Netflix, but the rest can be found on Dramafever.com, and Viki.com.  Both are free and carry the newer dramas that may not be on Netflix yet. 

Wow thanks for this! Is Lee MIn Ho in all of these?

Boys over Flowers (LMH)

City Hunter (LMH)

Personal Taste (LMH)

Heirs (LMH)

Historical

The Princess's Man

Modern

Secret Garden

My Princess

You're Beautiful

Goong

Heart Strings

Wow thanks for this! Is Lee MIn Ho in all of these?

Lee Min Ho is in the first 4 listed above.  The rest are ones that I have really enjoyed. If you liked the Historical elements of Faith/The Good Doctor (some sites call it Faith instead of The Good Doctor), then the dramas listed under Historical will fit that bill.  After I watched Faith, I went looking for anything with Lee Min Ho, and watched those.  After watching Boys Before Flowers, I started looking for dramas with the other actors...that is how I found Playful Kisses.  

The only ones that I would think to caution you about for kids would be Heirs and City Hunter.  In Korean Dramas se*ual situation do not really happen (I have yet to come across any) even their kisses are way more chaste than what you will find on network tv here in the states. In Heirs there were a few episodes with some language that you do not see in most Korean Dramas.  Still fairly tame...but a little shocking when you are not used to seeing/hearing it in a KDrama.  The subject line may also be questionable.  LMH's character's father is a very rich and powerful man, and his mother is the mistress...again it is not graphic in anyway, but if you do not want to explain why Tan (LMH's character) has a dad and two moms...you may want to preview it.  For City Hunter...you may want to watch the first episode first.  The first episode has quite a bit of violence, and people are killed.  The rest of the series has violence but Lee Min Ho's character goes out of his way to not kill people...but some are killed by others.  If you think your child can handle the first episode the rest will be fine. 

I love to talk Kdramas!  My family all think I am crazy for watching them so much :)

Boys over Flowers (LMH)

City Hunter (LMH)

Personal Taste (LMH)

Heirs (LMH)

Historical

The Princess's Man

Modern

Secret Garden

My Princess

You're Beautiful

Goong

Heart Strings

All the ones I've bolded I've watched lolĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Â 

Does it have Lee Min Ho? Is that the name of the general in the Great Doctor? He was great! i just finished the series. I was afraid to check back since there might be spoilers!

Can we list similar ones to great Doctor?

The ones above are the only ones he's in, I believe (the top ones listed.)  

These are the ones I've watched, and I rated them 1-3 (3 being the best) stars lol.  Because I do stuff like that. :lol:

Rom-Coms:

You're Beautiful ***

Playful Kiss ***

Boys over Flowers ***

Flower Boy Next Door ***

Heartstrings ***

Flower Boy Ramen Shop **

To the Beautiful You **

Marry Him if you Dare (currently watching)

Personal Taste (currently watching)

Shining Inheritance (currently watching)

dramas:

Shut Up Flower Boy Band *** (another high school one, with music involved.  Yes, there is a pattern there.)

Dream High *** (high schoolers in a musical high school.  I have a ridiculous affinity for this one lol! - the 2nd one wasn't nearly as good though)

Secret Garden ***

I am Sam ** (sort of rom-com-ish lol)

Heirs ** (I guess this would go here?  Not sure lolĂ¢â‚¬Â¦)

Golden Rainbow (currently watching)

Cinderella's Sister (currently watching)

King 2 Hearts (currently watching)

Suspense or action/drama:

The Master's Sun ***

City Hunter ***

Level 7 Civil ServantĂ¢â‚¬Â¦maybe in this one?  But it wasn't very action or suspenseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ *

Iris * (I'll be honest and say I only stuck with this one because of TOP lol.  :D  I did finish the show, but I cried when he died, and he was the bad guy hahaĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. :D )

historical:

Gu Family Book ***

Faith/TGD **

The one show I couldn't even get past the first couple episodes of:

Can We Get Married - I love Sung Joon but the women in this show made me want to scream!!  Ugh!

I may not make it through King 2 Hearts, either, but I'm halfway through it soĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I'll probably plow through.  Someday.  :D HJW's character in it makes me want to gag.  Ugh.  :(

I will say that I'm not a HUGE historical fan yet - Gu Family Book has some magic-type elements in it (main character is half gumiho/nine tailed fox and half human, learns to control his powers, is set in the Joseon era, and has some violence.  He may get a little bloodier than Admiral Choi (ha the main character in GFB is a Choi, tooĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ it's a super popular name, I can think of a ton of celebrities with that last name, tooĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ but I digress) and he's a little more lighthearted.  Idk.  As you can see I have a certain genre I gravitate toward lol!

The other historical stuff in my queue on dramafever (I haven't watched any so I can't vouch for anything):

Moon that Embraces the Sun (I haven't been able to jump into this yet because I don't love the main guyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.)

Damo

Hwang Jin Yi

Hong Gil Dong

Sword and Flower

Queen Seon Duk

Return of Iljimae

I'll be honest and say I have no idea what any of them are lolĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ What usually happens is, I find an actor or actress I like and go find other stuff they are in and add it to my queue.  I have like 55 things on there lolĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ :D

aaaaand that's all probably way more info than you could possibly wantĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ oh well.  :D  (I am excited though, I now have TWO IRL friends who watch k-dramas!!!  Woohoo!)

Has anyone seen and loved Pasta like I do?  That is my gateway and I still love it.  It's available in Netflix, viki, dramafever, and Amazon Prime.  I think it's the perfect first drama into the world of Korean dramas.  I am currently watching Miss Korea.  I can't believe we are discussing korean dramas in WTM.

• 3 weeks later...

I've become addicted too. :)  And I watched enough of them to come across 2 that I turned off during the first episode because of mature content, do I get a prize?!  12 Signs of Love on Netflix and What's Up Fox on dramafever.  I was very disappointed in What's Up Fox because I was so looking forward to seeing Go Hyun Jung in  a romantic comedy, grrr.  I love that for the other shows my kids can watch with me.  Even the serious or revenge dramas I watched are very tame.  They allowed for so much focus on really good acting and the story instead of being all gory.    

Anyone want to share favorite lines?  Mine from Boys Over Flowers were: "It's ok, you can tell me you like me now!" and "Honey!  Sweet and Sour Pork!"  Heirs had too many good lines every episode for me to choose.

Baby and Me was really cute.  It has the main actor from You're Beautiful.  And it has funny breast milk jokes. :)  I'm watching my second Hong sisters show now, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.  I really like Shin Min Ah, she's so cute.

After school today we ate Nutella and watched a behind the scenes filming of Pidam's death scene in Queen Seondeok.  It was so calm compared to the final version.  Ah the magic of editing!  Now we're listening to various soundtracks.  I love the song from The Great Doctor/Faith and the picture of Lee Min Ho with the police shield cracks me up every time.

I've wondered about subscribing to dramafever too.  The app tends to have problems during commercials and it had been very tempting to eliminate them.

I finished Secret Garden last week, after seeing this thread. I'm confessing that I have a crush on Hyun Bin.

Do any of you actually subscribe to dramafever or viki? Just wondering whether it's worth it, and if I were to do it, I would only subscribe for maybe 2 months.

I started off on Dramafever but I now watch them on gooddrama.net. Its free with only a few commercials (versus two to three every 10 minutes or so). They also post the videos in multiple player formats so if one will not work on your computer, another will. I've also found more selection on gooddrama. Lots of older films and dramas plus a great selection from Japan, Taiwan and China.

If you are looking for episode recaps and ratings of many dramas I really enjoy dramabeans.com . The two gals that review and recap the dramas are hilarious and I somewhat agree with many of their ratings. If I am bored and looking for a new drama I usually start there to get ideas.

What I love most about these Korean dramas, especially the romantic comedies, is that the romance is sweet and the story is compelling, each one slightly different from the other, but always share some similarities.  There is almost always a love triangle, for example.  Kisses are not to be taken lightly, in fact the moment when the main couple share their first kiss is a long anticipated event.  There is a long list of dramas to choose from.  Someone already mentioned dramabeans, but check out also koalasplayground.com.  And again, if you want a fun, easy-watch intro, I recommend Pasta.

Uh yeah....one Korean drama is like a "gateway drug" to more....just saying....

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

and LOL.. Im watching LMH right now too: The Heirs

This is how I feel about Nordic dramas.  Oh my goodness.  So far my two favorites are The Eagle (Danish) and Wallander (Swedish).  My problem is that there are so few on Netflix.  Maybe I need to check out Korean shows :)

Has anyone seen and loved Pasta like I do?  That is my gateway and I still love it.  It's available in Netflix, viki, dramafever, and Amazon Prime.  I think it's the perfect first drama into the world of Korean dramas.  I am currently watching Miss Korea.  I can't believe we are discussing korean dramas in WTM.

Because of this thread, I started watching Pasta.  Oh my gosh!  I love it!  I'm supposed to be working on my to-be-read pile over in the Book A Week thread, but I can't stop watching this show every spare minute I have.  LOL

I finished Secret Garden last week, after seeing this thread. I'm confessing that I have a crush on Hyun Bin.

Do any of you actually subscribe to dramafever or viki? Just wondering whether it's worth it, and if I were to do it, I would only subscribe for maybe 2 months.

Viki's is only $3.99 a month.  I just signed up for the free trial, because all of their commercials were driving me batty.  I may keep it for $3.99.  Dramafever's adds are not too bad, so given a choice, I would not pay for their premium. They play two ads back to back at the start of the show, and then let you watch the rest in peace.  That being said--I watch all my drama's on my Kindle Fire.  For Christmas, my DH upgraded me to the Kindle HDX, and since then, the DF app has not worked.  I think it has something to do with the commercials.  It tries to load the commercial, but then it just closes and won't do anything.  I was going to try their free trial to see if it proved my theory about the commercials correct...but I was using a card that I purposefully keep for paying things like this, and it currently has less than $10 on it.  When I tried to sign up for the "free" trial...it told me that it could not process my card :/  That suggests to me that they were going to charge my card during the "free" trial.  That irritates me, but I may just go put money on it anyway to see if it will work.  I am desperate LOL!

Is it on Amazon Prime???  I could not find it.  Because of this thread I started watching it, but all the commercials were killing me (had to watch it on Viki--see other post about my issues with Dramafever)...so I signed up for the free trial of the Viki Pass.

So far I am loving it!  I love the main actor (although he is really making me mad right now :)  He is also in a drama called "Coffee Prince" as a secondary character.  Coffee Prince was not a favorite of mine at all...even though I love the actress (same actress as Gong) and Lee Sun-kyun (CP and Pasta.)  I forced myself to finish CP because of Lee Sun-Kyun, I love his voice!  I just looked him up and noticed he is in Miss Korea which is airing now---I was not all that interested in the premise...but now I am going to have to check it out :)

Is it on Amazon Prime???  I could not find it.  Because of this thread I started watching it, but all the commercials were killing me (had to watch it on Viki--see other post about my issues with Dramafever)...so I signed up for the free trial of the Viki Pass.

So far I am loving it!  I love the main actor (although he is really making me mad right now :)  He is also in a drama called "Coffee Prince" as a secondary character.  Coffee Prince was not a favorite of mine at all...even though I love the actress (same actress as Gong) and Lee Sun-kyun (CP and Pasta.)  I forced myself to finish CP because of Lee Sun-Kyun, I love his voice!  I just looked him up and noticed he is in Miss Korea which is airing now---I was not all that interested in the premise...but now I am going to have to check it out :)

Miss Korea is going to be the death of me.  If you love Lee Sun-Kyun, you'll love this show, too.  It's got such an awesome heroine as well.  Don't let the slow start bother you.  Go with it and enjoy the ride.

A great suspense drama is "Time Between Wolf and Dog". I LOVE it!! Lee Joon-Gi is a phenomenal actor!! It is not appropriate for young kids though.

I also loved Il Ji-Mae, Rooftop Prince, Secret Garden, Goong/Palace. The King 2 Hearts was good too. I liked You're Beautiful a lot but found there was some chemistry missing between the two leads. Full House was so so to me. City Hunter was great but not one I'd want to watch again. I liked My Lovely Sam Soon until the end. Boys over Flowers was OK. It has some hot guys.

I showed this post to dd14 and she is now nagging me to let her "fan girl" with all of you over all these kdrama shows.  :lol:  :lol:

She actually got me into watching them and I freely admit I really like them!  We just finished Master's Sun.  I have to say though that by the end I was like, "Just KISS each other already!!!"  LOL!  

Let's see, I think she's watched every single one that's available on DramaFever and Hulu.  I've watched Who Are You, and we're in the middle of City Hunter and Big. She also introduced me to the movies 71 Into the Fire and Nineteen because I am quite smitten with T.O.P.  :p (Yes, totally ridiculous for an over 40 middle age woman.)  She introduced me to BIGBANG about 2 years ago. 

So, dd wants to know if any of you have teens that love kdrama\kpop that would like to facebook\penpal\email with her. She would love to have some kids her own age that have the same interests.  

Another one I have watched and liked and I believe available in Netflix is My Girlfriend is a Nine-tailed Fox (Gumiho).  It's about a mythical creature who longs to be human and to do that she needs to find someone who can love her unconditionally.  Not unlike the Little Mermaid, I suppose.  It has a cute OTP (One True Pairing).

My I suggest an older series? It is called Coffee Prince and when it ran in Korea, it achieved 50% viewership. It is one of my favorites.

This thread is so interesting. I am amazed at the popularity and reach of K-dramas these days. Growing up as a Korean American, it was kinda hokey to admit to watching them, but it's a whole different story now!

If any of you have any questions about the cultural nuances of these dramas, feel free to ask me.

:)

If any of you have any questions about the cultural nuances of these dramas, feel free to ask me.

:)

We've just started watching "The Great Doctor" because of this thread and are greatly enjoying it.  We are about 4 episodes in and we do have a question that maybe you can answer.  Why do English words and phrases pop up?  For example, the doctor is performing surgery and recites "tie...cut...tie...cut" as she is suturing.  There were some other English uses as well, including the bottle she handed over that was labeled "ASPIRIN" and the doctor's repeated use of "psycho" to describe the general.

Just curious!

We've just started watching "The Great Doctor" because of this thread and are greatly enjoying it. We are about 4 episodes in and we do have a question that maybe you can answer. Why do English words and phrases pop up? For example, the doctor is performing surgery and recites "tie...cut...tie...cut" as she is suturing. There were some other English uses as well, including the bottle she handed over that was labeled "ASPIRIN" and the doctor's repeated use of "psycho" to describe the general.

Just curious!

I haven't seen that drama series, but I believe that you are asking why there are English words used? Following the Korean War and the American involvement, American English and american pop culture became hugely popular. American English is taught in schools from a very early age (probably 5 or so) and you will hear words everywhere. For example, the word "kiss" is used for romantic kisses, even though there is a korean word. I kind of wish it wasn't so, because I fear that the language is getting watered down, but this also shows the living nature of language.

I'm watching Rooftop Prince and loving it. I was hoping for something similar to Secret Garden (hello, Hyun Bin!) but RP is cute too.

I tried Gentleman's Dignity on Netflix but it's not as charming as Rooftop Prince or Secret Garden. If it gets better after the 3rd episode, someone let me know.

That one kinda grew on me. Ive now watched it a few times. The hilarious relationship between the guys cant be beat and the attraction between the two leads does get more interesting.

The one thing about watching so many dramas is you can pick up on when the writers sneak in cross drama connections. Plus, I love when its completely obvious that the characters are advertising some product in a scene. I mean how many times can they mention that "domestic Korean pork is so tender and fresh" or how cool a new phone features are right before the leads kiss? LOL, love it!

That one kinda grew on me. Ive now watched it a few times. The hilarious relationship between the guys cant be beat and the attraction between the two leads does get more interesting.

The one thing about watching so many dramas is you can pick up on when the writers sneak in cross drama connections. Plus, I love when its completely obvious that the characters are advertising some product in a scene. I mean how many times can they mention that "domestic Korean pork is so tender and fresh" or how cool a new phone features are right before the leads kiss? LOL, love it!

LOL! I remember watching To the Beautiful You, and every time they would pull out those huge phones (either Galaxy or Notes) I would wonder how much Samsung paid for the advertising.

Thanks so much for this thread!! I watched the first episode today and loved it. My only problem is that because it has subtitles, I have to continuously watch the screen. I'm so used to doing something while watching TV or movies (even if it's just doing something on my computer) that I'm finding it hard to commit uninterrupted time to watch.

I have a good friend at work who is Korean and always telling me what life was like in Korea. I'm so excited to tell her about this show, although she probably already knows. 

Because of this thread, I started watching Pasta.  Oh my gosh!  I love it!  I'm supposed to be working on my to-be-read pile over in the Book A Week thread, but I can't stop watching this show every spare minute I have.  LOL

I am glad you gave it a try.  How can anyone resist Chef and his goldfish?

She actually got me into watching them and I freely admit I really like them!  We just finished Master's Sun.  I have to say though that by the end I was like, "Just KISS each other already!!!"  LOL!  

Let's see, I think she's watched every single one that's available on DramaFever and Hulu.  I've watched Who Are You, and we're in the middle of City Hunter and Big. She also introduced me to the movies 71 Into the Fire and Nineteen because I am quite smitten with T.O.P.  :p (Yes, totally ridiculous for an over 40 middle age woman.)  She introduced me to BIGBANG about 2 years ago. 

Master's Sun is EXCELLENT! It's up there as one of my top ones.

But the real reason I repliedĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I love love love love love (waitĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I'm not sure I've typed that enough) love LOVE BIGBANG.  I have pretty much all their songs on my iPod, and I would 100% go see them in concert (so hoping they come back since the last time they were here was pre-knowing about them days for me :D ).  

GD in particular.  I'll just leave it at that.   :wub:

When I was in Seoul earlier this week, I was so stoked to actually be seeing stuff of bands I like, hearing them on the radio, etc.  :lol:  

I loved how every single character in Heirs had the same phone, lol! And in the plugs for Korean beef in My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.

Is A Gentleman's Dignity clean like other kdramas? It was written by the same writer that wrote Secret Garden and Heirs which I really liked. But I see some talk online about it being a male Sex in the City which isn't really my thing.

Is A Gentleman's Dignity clean like other kdramas? It was written by the same writer that wrote Secret Garden and Heirs which I really liked. But I see some talk online about it being a male Sex in the City which isn't really my thing.

I like my kdramas clean and Gentleman's Dignity bothers me, especially with the guy who annoyingly takes off his wedding ring anytime there is a pretty girl around. I'm sure it gets better but I don't have time to invest in this show.