Menu

Fantastic Korean TV series on Netflix- The Great Doctor

NoPlaceLikeHome

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLBuchina,  You are spot on about the variety shows.  They can be just as addictive as the dramas.  I don't really get into the pop music that much but because of variety shows (and friend's posts) I seem to know who every one is in all the groups.  Currently, I'm addicted to Roommate but in the past I've enjoyed watching all sorts of variety shows like Running Man, Can We Get Married, Dad Where are we Going?, etc.  Plus just watching some of the cute clips of some of the shows when people post them. 

Did you watch Hong Ki on Can We Get Married?  He also did one of those Mnet dating scandal shows where he "dated" some fan for a week. 

MLBuchina,  You are spot on about the variety shows.  They can be just as addictive as the dramas.  I don't really get into the pop music that much but because of variety shows (and friend's posts) I seem to know who every one is in all the groups.  Currently, I'm addicted to Roommate but in the past I've enjoyed watching all sorts of variety shows like Running Man, Can We Get Married, Dad Where are we Going?, etc.  Plus just watching some of the cute clips of some of the shows when people post them. 

Did you watch Hong Ki on Can We Get Married?  He also did one of those Mnet dating scandal shows where he "dated" some fan for a week. 

I like Running Man, Barefoot Friends, Roommate.  I've started watching BTS: American Hustle Life, and it is a riot!  I'm behind on all of them, though.  The dramas keep pulling me in.  I wonder if Roommate will last much longer, as cast members keep leaving.  I also wonder why Chanyeol picked the short bed in their room.  I wonder strange things.  LOL

Yes, I saw Hong Ki on We Got Married: Global Edition, and that is what got me hooked.  lol  He laughed, and my heart hasn't been mine since.   :lol:   After seeing that, I started listening to FT Island, and watching all the dramas, movies, and variety shows that Hong Ki has been in.  He is just too adorable.  I enjoy a lot of Kpop groups, and watch a lot of dramas, but nobody turns me into a 12-year-old fangirl like Hong Ki.   :laugh:

[edited to remove picture]

This is my favorite performance by FT Island on Immortal Song 2 (it's from 2011):

I've never wanted to go to concerts before, but if I had the money, I'd be flying overseas and become a groupie.   :smilielol5:

In an effort to not lose my replies, or be too angry if I do, I am going to reply in batches.   :001_rolleyes:

I love Gdragon, TOP, and Big Bang in general.  My other favorite rapper is Zico from BlockB, and I am really starting to like Kim Si Young from History.  Speaking of Gdragon's Crooked, if you aren't watching Surplus Princess (The Mermaid), (why aren't you? 'cause it is hilarious!!!!), then you should at least check out episode 4 because they do a parody of Crooked.  I about died from laughing when that came on!

Note to self - watch at least that episode!!

I don't know why it is, but I have not found a girl group, or singer, that I especially like.  I have tons of guy groups I like listening to, but no girls.  I've tried listening to IU, f(x), SNSD, and others, but I just don't care for them.  I did like IU's MV for You and I, but that was because Lee Hyun Woo was in it.   :D   The song was nice, too, but not something I just had to have on my mp3 player.  Maybe I should try watching some of the variety shows with girl groups.

Okay, so first off - this is so true.   :lol:  I don't love a lot of girls/girl groups, either - I think I have 'Genie' by SNSD and one song by Miss A, though I do have quite a few from 2NE1.  CL's MTBD is my fave (by a girl lol).  

I made a playlist the other day of JUST BB songs (and solos from the members) and had 51 just on that playlist.   :lol:  I know if I were to make one of just YG artists it would be insane.  Apparently I'm a YG Ent fan.

Now, back to the variety show thing... WINNER just came out, right, with their song 'Empty' a couple weeks ago - and I was like, you know, this isn't too bad... (linking the latest live perf because I really like it live lol)

So then I thought, huh, I'll watch the show.  I didn't watch it when it was on but then I was curious.  

So I watched it.  By the last episode, this happened:

(that's the team that didn't win, but either way I was IN TEARS during that song - seriously.  That first verse for his mom?  Get out.)

And then the M/V for Mino's solo dropped yesterday...

(my best friend was like...'what is this?  there are rainbows...wings...what the heck?'  lol)  

I'm going to gloss over the fact that he's 11 years younger than me right now and just say he's my bias in WINNER and that I'm a fan... oh and now I'm watching WINNER TV.  

Yeah....... :leaving:   :lol:

ETA:  This is accurate:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/32158584813128867/

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Photo removed

I really don't know the names of anyone in FT Island but I love to listen to Hong Ki sing so I listen to their stuff quite a bit.  I actually need to go and find more songs.  And I had to quit watching We Got Married because I didn't want to have my heart broken at the end by watching him get his heart broken when she had to leave.  He and Mina were so cute together and the chipmunks were just adorable.  I can see why so many people really like him.  He has a range of emotions in his personality from cute to manly to even a bit dark.

I don't know that I actually fan girl over anyone but after discovering Jung Kyung Ho in Heartless City, I spent the next few weeks watching everything that he had been in that I could find.  He's just such a good actor and so believable in all his different roles. 

I like Running Man, Barefoot Friends, Roommate.  I've started watching BTS: American Hustle Life, and it is a riot!  I'm behind on all of them, though.  The dramas keep pulling me in.  I wonder if Roommate will last much longer, as cast members keep leaving.  I also wonder why Chanyeol picked the short bed in their room.  I wonder strange things.  LOL

My favorite show is "The Return of Superman (슈í¼ë§¨ì´ ëŒì•„왔다)." It's about celebrity dads struggling to take care of babies while moms are away. You might find it interesting to see how Koreans do differently in parenting and baby care. 

I've seen the first episode of The Return of Superman and it was good. I just haven't made time for it again.  That's one of the reason I really like the variety shows because you get to see more of how people really live, what they really eat, do, etc.  I minored in anthropology so I'm a big culture junkie.  I love reading about travel and how things are the same or different in other places. 

Note to self - watch at least that episode!!

Okay, so first off - this is so true.   :lol:  I don't love a lot of girls/girl groups, either - I think I have 'Genie' by SNSD and one song by Miss A, though I do have quite a few from 2NE1.  CL's MTBD is my fave (by a girl lol).  

I made a playlist the other day of JUST BB songs (and solos from the members) and had 51 just on that playlist.   :lol:  I know if I were to make one of just YG artists it would be insane.  Apparently I'm a YG Ent fan.

Now, back to the variety show thing... WINNER just came out, right, with their song 'Empty' a couple weeks ago - and I was like, you know, this isn't too bad... (linking the latest live perf because I really like it live lol)

So then I thought, huh, I'll watch the show.  I didn't watch it when it was on but then I was curious.  

So I watched it.  By the last episode, this happened:

(that's the team that didn't win, but either way I was IN TEARS during that song - seriously.  That first verse for his mom?  Get out.)

And then the M/V for Mino's solo dropped yesterday...

(my best friend was like...'what is this?  there are rainbows...wings...what the heck?'  lol)  

I'm going to gloss over the fact that he's 11 years younger than me right now and just say he's my bias in WINNER and that I'm a fan... oh and now I'm watching WINNER TV.  

Yeah....... :leaving:   :lol:

ETA:  This is accurate:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/32158584813128867/

YG family is just awesome.

I saw WINNER's debut MVs, but I have stayed away from the variety shows 'cause I just can't with another group right now.  LOL  I have so many that I'm still trying to learn their names, and my bias list keeps being wrecked.  I made the mistake of watching History's little web variety show, History's Panda PR, and now I can't get enough of them.  They are all bias wreckers; I can't pick just one!  I love their teasers right before their debut.  If you get a chance, you should check them out.  They are so cute!  Here's a link to their playlist on 1theK's Youtube.  There are five very short intros, one for each member.  Scroll down to the bottom of the playlist and you'll see them.  They are dating tips!  LOL  My dd11's bias is Do Kyun.  She says he has the cutest smile.   :)

I hadn't seen Mino's MV yet.  That was good.  I wish it were subtitled, as I bet there is a lot of wordplay going on in it.  I understand your friend's reaction, but it's all normal to me now.  LOL

Oh, goodness!  That clip had me tearing up!  What is that from?

Yes, the pin is 10000000% accurate.

I really don't know the names of anyone in FT Island but I love to listen to Hong Ki sing so I listen to their stuff quite a bit.  I actually need to go and find more songs.  And I had to quit watching We Got Married because I didn't want to have my heart broken at the end by watching him get his heart broken when she had to leave.  He and Mina were so cute together and the chipmunks were just adorable.  I can see why so many people really like him.  He has a range of emotions in his personality from cute to manly to even a bit dark.

I don't know that I actually fan girl over anyone but after discovering Jung Kyung Ho in Heartless City, I spent the next few weeks watching everything that he had been in that I could find.  He's just such a good actor and so believable in all his different roles. 

Just FYI ( :tongue_smilie: ): Choi Jong Hoon - Leader, lead guitar; Lee Jae Jin - vocals, bassist; Song Seung Hyun - rapper, vocals, guitar; Choi Min Hwan - maknae, drummer; and of course Lee Hong Ki - lead vocal

Yes, I was balling my eyes out when they had to say goodbye.  I haven't watched another We Got Married since because I can't handle the ending.  LOL  I know it isn't real, but you get so attached.  I like that they are still friends, and he even saw her during their concert tour, The Passion, in Japan back a couple months ago.

I haven't seen anything with Jung Kyung Ho in it, so I'll have to add them to my list.

My favorite show is "The Return of Superman (슈í¼ë§¨ì´ ëŒì•„왔다)." It's about celebrity dads struggling to take care of babies while moms are away. You might find it interesting to see how Koreans do differently in parenting and baby care. 

I've seen little clips from the show, and I keep meaning to watch.  I need to look it up.

Would it surprise anyone to hear that I've seen the clips of Return of Superman with Tablo and Haru when she's backstage with him and BigBang?

:lol:

:lol:

Didn't think so.

I'm currently hooked on Jang Bo Ri is Here. The show is ridiculous but it is like crack. The first 20 episodes, I was so annoyed by it. After that, it started getting a lot better. Now, around 35+, it is downright addicting and action-packed. Sucks for Lee Yoo Ri (Min Jung) though with the amount she gets slapped around but I'm sure if I had a person like that in my life it would be all I could take not to kick her in the face every time she entered a room.

About the musical stuff...I don't listen to music but I was familiar with IU from when she sang in You're the Best Lee Soon Shin and I heard 'You and I' somewhere else as well. I watched 'Trot Lovers' though and Eunji's voice is amazing, even when she's just singing trot acapella. I heard she's part of a girl band and doesn't usually shine too much in it but really, any song she sang in that drama was great and she clearly has talent.

I am re-watching Boys over Flowers and I forgot how good it was! It was one of the first Kdramas I watched after The Great Doctor. I watched it because of Lee Min Ho. It is based on manga and a bit like a cartoon and a bit overly dramatic but it is fantastic. Even my ds and dh are watching it!

I wanted to clarify that there are a lot of heartfelt moments and values in Boys over Flowers which I love.

I'm currently hooked on Jang Bo Ri is Here. The show is ridiculous but it is like crack. The first 20 episodes, I was so annoyed by it. After that, it started getting a lot better. Now, around 35+, it is downright addicting and action-packed. Sucks for Lee Yoo Ri (Min Jung) though with the amount she gets slapped around but I'm sure if I had a person like that in my life it would be all I could take not to kick her in the face every time she entered a room.

You crack me up.   :smilielol5:

YG family is just awesome.

I saw WINNER's debut MVs, but I have stayed away from the variety shows 'cause I just can't with another group right now.  LOL  I have so many that I'm still trying to learn their names, and my bias list keeps being wrecked.  I made the mistake of watching History's little web variety show,

, and now I can't get enough of them.  They are all bias wreckers; I can't pick just one!  I love their teasers right before their debut.  If you get a chance, you should check them out.  They are so cute!  
a link to their playlist on 1theK's Youtube.  There are five very short intros, one for each member.  Scroll down to the bottom of the playlist and you'll see them.  They are dating tips!  LOL  My dd11's bias is Do Kyun.  She says he has the cutest smile.   :)

Like you said, I just CAN'T with another group right now!!   :lol:  I'm still finishing up WINNER TV.  OMG so hysterical.  

I hadn't seen Mino's MV yet.  That was good.  I wish it were subtitled, as I bet there is a lot of wordplay going on in it.  I understand your friend's reaction, but it's all normal to me now.  LOL

Yeah I always end up searching youtube for subs.   :)  It's so good.  I can't even.... ugh.

And it just came on my playlist at work - I almost reached over and turned it up and started dancing.  That would have been awkward.   :leaving:   :D

Oh, goodness!  That clip had me tearing up!  What is that from?

WIN: Who is Next.  I watched it knowing the whole time who was actually going to win and end up as WINNER, but I still was curious.  I'm glad I watched it.  It was so good.  Bobby and B.I. (the two rappers, 1st and 2nd verse respectively) are really good.  As I was watching that in the show, I started crying originally because he wrote it for his mom - awww! - and then got to thinking about how all of them in that group were like, teenagers, and Bobby was from the US so he hadn't even seen his mom in person for 3 years... etc, etc.  Then when it shows all the parents just sitting there on pins and needles I'm thinking how that must be for them.  Their kid is up there on that stage, laying it on the line... ugh.  The feels!!

Yes, the pin is 10000000% accurate.

Just FYI ( :tongue_smilie: ): Choi Jong Hoon - Leader, lead guitar; Lee Jae Jin - vocals, bassist; Song Seung Hyun - rapper, vocals, guitar; Choi Min Hwan - maknae, drummer; and of course Lee Hong Ki - lead vocal

Yes, I was balling my eyes out when they had to say goodbye.  I haven't watched another We Got Married since because I can't handle the ending.  LOL  I know it isn't real, but you get so attached.  I like that they are still friends, and he even saw her during their concert tour, The Passion, in Japan back a couple months ago.

I haven't seen anything with Jung Kyung Ho in it, so I'll have to add them to my list.

I've seen little clips from the show, and I keep meaning to watch.  I need to look it up.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking!  GD!!!!!!!!!!  Haru loves him so much lol.  It was hysterical.  (and maybe understandable... ahem...)

Oh, I forgot to add this funny sidenote: So apparently I really like rappers.  Who knew?  I mean, I do now... but like, the first few kdramas I watched I was like, 'That guy is cool... I wonder who he is'  then I google it and 'Oh, he's a rapper'.  Then that happens like SEVERAL TIMES.  Then, every time I hear a new group, I'm just waiting to decide on the rap.  Apparently being raised as a classical musician has turned me into a rap fan over all else.   :lol:  I didn't like So Ji Sub all that much but he gained cool points when i found out he was a rapper.  

Last week after watching a couple episodes of 'It's Okay, That's Love', I had a dream shortly before waking up that I was flirting with the main guy in that - he's not even my style at all lol!  And then my friend was like, 'As in, he's not even a RAPPER!'  

-.-   :lol:

Photo removed

I just finished Secret Garden today!!!! WOW! I think it has taken top spot for me. :hurray:  I loved the female lead in this one better than the one in Boys Over Flowers. And I loved that you got to see them interact after their marriage and see their children. Plus they actually kissed in Secret Garden instead of the weird "no kissing" kisses that are in Boys Over Flowers.  It was a great, great story. Now I've got to find my next one to watch..... :leaving:

I just finished Secret Garden today!!!! WOW! I think it has taken top spot for me. :hurray:  I loved the female lead in this one better than the one in Boys Over Flowers. And I loved that you got to see them interact after their marriage and see their children. Plus they actually kissed in Secret Garden instead of the weird "no kissing" kisses that are in Boys Over Flowers.  It was a great, great story. Now I've got to find my next one to watch..... :leaving:

Have fun!!  :D  :D  :D

If I had my way every final episode would include a wedding and adorable scenes with the couple and their cute boy/girl twins!!!  I loved those scenes in Secret Garden.

I just finished Secret Garden today!!!! WOW! I think it has taken top spot for me. :hurray: I loved the female lead in this one better than the one in Boys Over Flowers. And I loved that you got to see them interact after their marriage and see their children. Plus they actually kissed in Secret Garden instead of the weird "no kissing" kisses that are in Boys Over Flowers. It was a great, great story. Now I've got to find my next one to watch..... :leaving:

Good luck trying to find the next one, seriously. It's been months since I watched Secret Garden, and I'm still in search mode. I think I just really like Hyun Bin (has anyone noticed this? :D). Or I just really like that type of show (but no Boys Over Flowers, please, watched the Chinese version in my 20s and think it's way better than the Korean version).

Good luck trying to find the next one, seriously. It's been months since I watched Secret Garden, and I'm still in search mode. I think I just really like Hyun Bin (has anyone noticed this? :D). Or I just really like that type of show (but no Boys Over Flowers, please, watched the Chinese version in my 20s and think it's way better than the Korean version).

I am not sure which ones you have seen but if it is strong female leads then I would consider Master's Sun, Lie to Me, and City Hall possibly.

I have seen so many that I love. I love Boys over Flowers too but the ones listed above plus many others are even better to a much greater degree. Which sort of Kdrama are you looking for? Romantic comedy, melodrama, romance?? I might be able to recommend others. I found many of them by looking for actors and actresses that I liked. There are also review youtube videos and web sites. I know I prefer ones with leads that are more mature and do not generally go for teenage ones.

If I had my way every final episode would include a wedding and adorable scenes with the couple and their cute boy/girl twins!!!  I loved those scenes in Secret Garden.

I totally agree. I love when American movies do the same thing.

He has the most amazing cheekbones! They are like razor blades. Beautiful man for sure. Did he star in any other Kdramas?

I am re-watching Boys over Flowers and I forgot how good it was! It was one of the first Kdramas I watched after The Great Doctor. I watched it because of Lee Min Ho. It is based on manga and a bit like a cartoon and a bit overly dramatic but it is fantastic. Even my ds and dh are watching it!

I wanted to clarify that there are a lot of heartfelt moments and values in Boys over Flowers which I love.

I think the next one I watch will be one with Lee Min Ho since I adore him. I can't decide between The Great Doctor and City Hunter though.

The one thing I forgot to add is that I love the fact that many Korean dramas seemed geared towards women which American TV/movies seem to be lacking. In fact, I have read articles suggesting the same thing. Additionally from what little I know I have gotten the impression that more women are involved in the making of Kdramas such as the Hong sisters who did the Master's Sun. However, I did read recently that romantic comedies may be making somewhat of a comeback lately. 

In regards to lip presses as kisses, I agree that I like to see more of a kiss such as the coca cola kiss in Lie to Me :tongue_smilie:  I also wish very much that Kdramas would have at least 30 minutes or one episode on a couple's happy ever after.

I totally agree. I love when American movies do the same thing.

He has the most amazing cheekbones! They are like razor blades. Beautiful man for sure. Did he star in any other Kdramas?

I think the next one I watch will be one with Lee Min Ho since I adore him. I can't decide between The Great Doctor and City Hunter though.

City Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually don't like The Great Doctor all that much.  Whereas CH is one of my FAVES.  :)

So Ji Sub has also done I'm Sorry, I Love You, Ghost (Phantom is the other name), We Are Dating Now, Road No. 1, Glass Slippers, Something Happened in Bali and Cain and Abel. He also did the movies Company Man and Always. I have not seen Ghost yet which is a crime drama or Road No.1 or Glass Slippers. I will caution you that in many of his films he gets beaten up a lot. In fact, in Always and Cain and Abel which I liked I had to fast forward through some scenes but I did like the shows. I'm Sorry, I Love You also helped propel him to fame from what I understand. The Master's Sun is decidedly different than the one's listed above in that it is primarily a romantic comedy and fantastic IMHO!

As for Lee Min Ho both the Great Doctor (also called Faith) and City Hunter are good. He also did Personal Taste which I loved.

I would conquer the Hong Sisters' dramas next. Master's Sun (very different and cool IMO), Greatest Love, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, and My Girl. But not Big. Never Big.

So Ji Sub has also done I'm Sorry, I Love You, Ghost (Phantom is the other name), We Are Dating Now, Road No. 1, Glass Slippers, Something Happened in Bali and Cain and Abel. He also did the movies Company Man and Always. I have not seen Ghost yet which is a crime drama or Road No.1 or Glass Slippers. I will caution you that in many of his films he gets beaten up a lot. In fact, in Always and Cain and Abel which I liked I had to fast forward through some scenes but I did like the shows. I'm Sorry, I Love You also helped propel him to fame from what I understand. The Master's Sun is decidedly different than the one's listed above in that it is primarily a romantic comedy and fantastic IMHO!

Think he gets beaten up (and beats up) most in the movie Rough Cut (2008). Kang Ji Hwan is in this movie, too. It was good. 

Below is the trailer of Hyun Bin's most recent movie. Haven't seen it but looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxBBeP0LZdQ

For Lee Min Ho, my vote is definitely The Heirs if you haven't watched it. :) Oh, he used to date the female main actress (Lee Min Young) in City Hunter but they broke up. Think The Great Doctor got the better reviews than City Hunter.

For Lee Min Ho--City Hunter is my top pick then Personal Taste.  I still have to finish up Faith aka The Great Doctor.  Heirs is also good but I really only watched it for Kim Woo Bin.  I've seen just about everything he's been in except the dramas Vampire Idol and The Cupid Factory.  And the movie Runway Cop which is now on Hulu and I should have that one done sometime this week.  He also has Twenty and The Professionals coming out.

I am not sure which ones you have seen but if it is strong female leads then I would consider Master's Sun, Lie to Me, and City Hall possibly.

I have seen so many that I love. I love Boys over Flowers too but the ones listed above plus many others are even better to a much greater degree. Which sort of Kdrama are you looking for? Romantic comedy, melodrama, romance?? I might be able to recommend others. I found many of them by looking for actors and actresses that I liked. There are also review youtube videos and web sites. I know I prefer ones with leads that are more mature and do not generally go for teenage ones.

I'm easy to please but it has to be romantic comedy, and if not that, then it has to be something bloody like A Company Man or The Man from Nowhere with Won Bin, preferably the latter where the main character actually lives.

But I'm not seeing anything like that on Netflix or Amazon, and I am very reluctant to subscribe to anywhere else. I guess I could do a free trial for 60 days with that one site recommended up thread.

I liked Master's Sun, but I had to stop due to all those ads. Oh, and I did watch a couple of episodes of this show starring Hyun Bin and a very popular actress he used to date, but those ads got in the way, and it didn't have the pull of Secret Garden.

I'm easy to please but it has to be romantic comedy, and if not that, then it has to be something bloody like A Company Man or The Man from Nowhere with Won Bin, preferably the latter where the main character actually lives.

But I'm not seeing anything like that on Netflix or Amazon, and I am very reluctant to subscribe to anywhere else. I guess I could do a free trial for 60 days with that one site recommended up thread.

There are many good (but a bit dated) bloody and depressing Korean movies both on Netflix or Amazon (that I've hesitated to recommend here). I Saw The Devil is the most gory and The Silenced is the saddest one, IMO. New World, Rough Cut, Don't Cry Mommy, The Berlin File and The Thieves are good, too.

For romantic comedy movies, I recommend My Sassy Girl, Baby and Me, My Dear Desperado, The Art of Seduction, Marrying the Mafia, My Girlfriend is an Agent and 200 Pounds Beauty on Amazon.

I definitely prefer romantic comedy but sometimes also like more serious stuff. Have you tried Viki.com? It has ads but not too much. I watch most of the kdrams on viki. I think the premium is $3.99 a month. Viki seems to have more than dramafever. Also, I noted the hulu has a ton of kdramas. Also, many of these can be found on youtube. I think Master's Sun is on there.

Have you seen Lie to Me? It is hysterical. I almost p**d my pants multiple times for that one. It does get more serious later but it is great!

Quick question....

Do any of these awesome (and extremely handsome!) Korean actors ever make it into US movies?

ETA: Another question: I've noticed that in the Kdramas they always take off their shoes and have house shoe type things to slip on, even for guests. My question is how do they get their shoes back on. I never see benches or anything for them to put shoes on. Are all of their shoes slip on/slip off shoes without needing to be tied. How does it work? 

I definitely prefer romantic comedy but sometimes also like more serious stuff. Have you tried Viki.com? It has ads but not too much. I watch most of the kdrams on viki. I think the premium is $3.99 a month. Viki seems to have more than dramafever. Also, I noted the hulu has a ton of kdramas. Also, many of these can be found on youtube. I think Master's Sun is on there.

Have you seen Lie to Me? It is hysterical. I almost p**d my pants multiple times for that one. It does get more serious later but it is great!

Aack, $4 is almost too good to not sign up.

Quick question....

Do any of these awesome (and extremely handsome!) Korean actors ever make it into US movies?

ETA: Another question: I've noticed that in the Kdramas they always take off their shoes and have house shoe type things to slip on, even for guests. My question is how do they get their shoes back on. I never see benches or anything for them to put shoes on. Are all of their shoes slip on/slip off shoes without needing to be tied. How does it work? 

Actually, we do this too (no shoes in the house). In my experience, you either wear slip ons or you put your shoes on standing (or sit on the ground if you really can't manage that).

About the musical stuff...I don't listen to music but I was familiar with IU from when she sang in You're the Best Lee Soon Shin and I heard 'You and I' somewhere else as well. I watched 'Trot Lovers' though and Eunji's voice is amazing, even when she's just singing trot acapella. I heard she's part of a girl band and doesn't usually shine too much in it but really, any song she sang in that drama was great and she clearly has talent.

Speaking of wanting to kick them in the face...

There are so many of them!!  LOL  But this is the most evil I have seen:

I seriously wanted to go through my screen and kill her.  Pure evil, that one.

Trot Lover's was so good!  Eun Ji is from a group called A Pink, and she has such a lovely voice.  I LOVE her in Answer Me 1997.  I need to watch That Winter, The Wind Blows, too.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking!  GD!!!!!!!!!!  Haru loves him so much lol.  It was hysterical.  (and maybe understandable... ahem...)

Oh, I forgot to add this funny sidenote: So apparently I really like rappers.  Who knew?  I mean, I do now... but like, the first few kdramas I watched I was like, 'That guy is cool... I wonder who he is'  then I google it and 'Oh, he's a rapper'.  Then that happens like SEVERAL TIMES.  Then, every time I hear a new group, I'm just waiting to decide on the rap.  Apparently being raised as a classical musician has turned me into a rap fan over all else.    I didn't like So Ji Sub all that much but he gained cool points when i found out he was a rapper.  

Last week after watching a couple episodes of 'It's Okay, That's Love', I had a dream shortly before waking up that I was flirting with the main guy in that - he's not even my style at all lol!  And then my friend was like, 'As in, he's not even a RAPPER!'  

-.-  

Yes, GD is totes my style!   :drool:   I loved it when Haru asked if she could buy GD, and her dad said he was too expensive.  LOL  GD said she couldn't buy him, but he would buy some good food for her.  They are just too cute.

I can't stand rap.  Hate it.  Then I started listening to Kpop.  I love rap!  It's great!  (Only in Kpop.)

I love It's Okay, That's Love.

Of course, my problem is I'm always a noona, at even an ahjumma, to most of the actors/idols.   :crying:

I just finished Secret Garden today!!!! WOW! I think it has taken top spot for me.   I loved the female lead in this one better than the one in Boys Over Flowers. And I loved that you got to see them interact after their marriage and see their children. Plus they actually kissed in Secret Garden instead of the weird "no kissing" kisses that are in Boys Over Flowers.  It was a great, great story. Now I've got to find my next one to watch..... 

Yes, Secret Garden has THE best ending of all the dramas I've seen.  If you're looking for real kissing, may I suggest Me Too, Flower! with Yoon Shi Yoon and Lee Ji Ah?  Oh My Goodness.  Best Kiss Scene Ever.  She is so lucky...  His skills were totally wasted on Park Shin Hye in Flower Boy Next Door.  I'm going through serious Yoon Shi Yoon withdrawals since he enlisted.   :(  Two years, please hurry up.  Me Too, Flower! is really good.  I don't know why it wasn't well received.  It ended up being only 15 episodes, instead of its original 16.

I would conquer the Hong Sisters' dramas next. Master's Sun (very different and cool IMO), Greatest Love, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, and My Girl. But not Big. Never Big.

Never Big?  Wae?  Because of that terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, ambiguous ending? :confused:   :glare:  :angry:  :banghead:

I actually like Gong Yoo better in Big than Coffee Prince.

For Lee Min Ho--City Hunter is my top pick then Personal Taste.  I still have to finish up Faith aka The Great Doctor.  Heirs is also good but I really only watched it for Kim Woo Bin.  I've seen just about everything he's been in except the dramas Vampire Idol and The Cupid Factory.  And the movie Runway Cop which is now on Hulu and I should have that one done sometime this week.  He also has Twenty and The Professionals coming out.

I have a hard time picking which I like better between City Hunter and Faith.  They are both so different.  I love Personal Taste.  It is so funny!  I like Heirs.  I like to make fun of Kim Tan's wardrobe in Heirs.   :p

Come on!  This is basically the expression she has in every kissing scene in every drama I've ever seen her in.  LOL

For those Master's Sun fans out there.

Best scene in Heirs:

I liked Master's Sun, but I had to stop due to all those ads. Oh, and I did watch a couple of episodes of this show starring Hyun Bin and a very popular actress he used to date, but those ads got in the way, and it didn't have the pull of Secret Garden.

Because of adds, I started watching on Dramafire.com.  They don't have any adds.  If you want to finish Master's Sun, you can find it here.

Quick question....

I know there was an actress, but I can't think of who it was at the moment.  I know Rain was in one recently:

I can't read anymore of this thread. I saw spoilers.

Maybe one question. I don't know if Lee Phillip has been mentioned. Does he remind anyone else of Keanu Reeves?

Oh, no!  I hope I wasn't posting spoilers.  I hate when that happens.

I never noticed Lee Phillip resembling Keanu Reeves, but now that you mention it, I can kinda see it.  Maybe it's the narrow face and longer hair?

Speaking of wanting to kick them in the face...

There are so many of them!!  LOL  But this is the most evil I have seen:

I seriously wanted to go through my screen and kill her.  Pure evil, that one.

Yes, Secret Garden has THE best ending of all the dramas I've seen.  If you're looking for real kissing, may I suggest Me Too, Flower! with Yoon Shi Yoon and Lee Ji Ah?  Oh My Goodness.  Best Kiss Scene Ever.  She is so lucky...  His skills were totally wasted on Park Shin Hye in Flower Boy Next Door.  I'm going through serious Yoon Shi Yoon withdrawals since he enlisted.   :(  Two years, please hurry up.  Me Too, Flower! is really good.  I don't know why it wasn't well received.  It ended up being only 15 episodes, instead of its original 16.

Never Big?  Wae?  Because of that terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, ambiguous ending? :confused:   :glare:  :angry:  :banghead:

Come on!  This is basically the expression she has in every kissing scene in every drama I've ever seen her in.  LOL

Ah, so you haven't yet seen Yeon Min Jung yet(the character I'm talking about) because she takes the cake. The only good thing about it is we've reached the portion of the show where the good guys start whooping her behind and there is one character whose entire story arc is bringing her down and making her life Hell (he is awesome). One major problem I have in K Dramas is that typically the villain doesn't get enough punishment. I mean, even when she repeatedly attempted to murder people (or murdered people) and committed the worst crimes, at the end everyone forgives her and she lives happily ever after. My favorite second female lead was the one in Protect the Boss. For once they made the 2nd lead a decent human and fun to watch interact with the others. She was really cute.

LOL. Some of the kissing scenes, I tell ya. I'm seeing a lot more realistic scenes in the newer dramas but I always find it hilarious when the male lead bumps his lips against the girl's frozen in timewhile the girl stays completely statue still, arms at her side, grimace on her face

Photos removed

Quick question....

Lee Byung Hun was in G.I. Joe 1&2 and will star in Terminator: Genesis. Choi Min Shik (from Old Boy) is in Luc Besson's Lucy. Rain did a few movies, too. The major obstacle for Korean actors to enter Hollywood is the language barrier. And I think flower boys don't appeal much in the U.S.? (I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see so many of you like the actors like Lee Min Ho.) :)

Regarding the shoes, Koreans don't wear shoes inside the house and rarely even wear indoor slippers. I love walking around with bare feet in house. :D In all Korean houses/apartments, there is a little room for putting on/off shoes at the entrance and we just sit on the floor next to it. But my American DH put a little chair there. ;) (We don't wear shoes in our American house, either.) Until like 1970s Koreans used to sit and sleep on the floor all the time and sofa, tables, chairs and beds are relatively new to the Korean culture. It makes more sense as Koreans use floor heating instead of the air heater in the winter time. And, thus, keeping the floor absolutely clean is important to us. The floor is usually either wooden or linoleum (no carpets), and we vacuum and mop/steam cleaning it thoroughly everyday. To me, it's frankly a bit hard to understand how some Americans let their babies crawl around on the floor where they walk around with their shoes on. :eek:  And it could be a little awkward to ask our guests who are not used to this custom to take their shoes off when they enter our house. Repairmen usually refuse to do so...

Lee Byung Hyun was in G.I. Joe 1&2 and will star in Terminator: Genesis. Choi Min Shik (from Old Boy) is in Luc Besson's Lucy. Rain did a few movies, too. The major obstacle for Korean actors to enter Hollywood is the language barrier. And I think flower boys don't appeal much in the U.S.? (I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see so many of you like the actors like Lee Min Ho.) :)

Regarding the shoes, Koreans don't wear shoes inside the house and rarely even wear indoor slippers. I love walking around with bare feet in house. :D In all Korean houses/apartments, there is a little room for putting on/off shoes at the entrance and we just sit on the floor next to it. But my American DH put a little chair there. ;) (We don't wear shoes in our American house, either.) Until like 1970s Koreans used to sit and sleep on the floor all the time and sofa, tables, chairs and beds are relatively new to the Korean culture. It makes more sense as Koreans use floor heating instead of the air heater in the winter time. And, thus, keeping the floor absolutely clean is important to us. The floor is usually either wooden or linoleum (no carpets), and we vacuum and mop/steam cleaning it thoroughly everyday. To me, it's frankly a bit hard to understand how some Americans let their babies crawl around on the floor where they walk around with their shoes on. :eek:  And it could be a little awkward to ask our guests who are not used to this custom to take their shoes off when they enter our house. Repairmen usually refuse to do so...

I agree that it is cleaner to take off shoes. We do it mostly in our house. What I found hysterical that in some Kdramas they took off shoes when they entered houses even during chasing after or running from the bad guys scenes!

Quick question....

Le Byung Hyun was also in the second Red movie.  He was really good in All In which is a drama about playing cards. 

Other people have mentioned Rain and Jang Dong Gun was in an English speaking movie but I don't think it did well.  He was awesome in My Way which is a Korean film about WWII and had dialogue in more than 5 languages.  btw  I believe Jang Dong Gun is the Brad Pitt of Korea.  He was so good in A Gentleman's Dignity as well.  (Am I right Moon?)

Le Byung Hyun was also in the second Red movie.  He was really good in All In which is a drama about playing cards. 

Other people have mentioned Rain and Jang Dong Gun was in an English speaking movie but I don't think it did well.  He was awesome in My Way which is a Korean film about WWII and had dialogue in more than 5 languages.  btw  I believe Jang Dong Gun is the Brad Pitt of Korea.  He was so good in A Gentleman's Dignity as well.  (Am I right Moon?)

I personally think All In was his best TV drama, and Masquerade (on Netflix. I strongly recommend it.), Joint Security Area (2000) and Bungee Jumping of Their Own (2000) were his top 3 movies. Not sure if you can find the latter two movies with English sub.\

Yes, Jang Dong Gun and his wife Go So Young are called the Korean version of the Brangelina couple. Jang's nick name in Korea is the Arabic Prince because of his appearance. ;) I enjoyed A Gentlemen's Dignity but he looked much older than I remember (in 40s now). He was really popular in 90s and early 2000s. 

Lee Byung Hyun was in G.I. Joe 1&2 and will star in Terminator: Genesis. Choi Min Shik (from Old Boy) is in Luc Besson's Lucy. Rain did a few movies, too. The major obstacle for Korean actors to enter Hollywood is the language barrier. And I think flower boys don't appeal much in the U.S.? (I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see so many of you like the actors like Lee Min Ho.) :)

Thank you, Moon, for sharing cultural insights and thoughts.   ^_^

When I first started watching dramas, I thought many of the "flower boys" looked a little on the feminine side.  Now, I don't notice it unless someone asks me if the person in the picture is a girl, and I'm all like, "What?!  You can't tell that is one fine looking MAN right there??"  LOL  I guess perceptions change with exposure.   :D   What I can't get over is how young everybody looks.  I mean, how is it that everybody looks like they are at least 10 years younger than they are?  (Unless you're in an idol group, and look like you're in your 20s, but really you're 16 and I've just become a pedo-noona. I'm looking at you Jeon Jung Kook.)

I personally think All In was his best TV drama, and Masquerade (on Netflix. I strongly recommend it.), Joint Security Area (2000) and Bungee Jumping of Their Own (2000) were his top 3 movies. Not sure if you can find the latter two movies with English sub.\

Yes, Jang Dong Gun and his wife Go So Young are called the Korean version of the Brangelina couple. Jang's nick name in Korea is the Arabic Prince because of his appearance. ;) I enjoyed A Gentlemen's Dignity but he looked much older than I remember (in 40s now). He was really popular in 90s and early 2000s. 

I think I've seen Joint Security Area and Bungee Jumping subbed somewhere but I can't remember where. It may have been on one of the iffier sites.

Thank you, Moon, for sharing cultural insights and thoughts. ^_^

When I first started watching dramas, I thought many of the "flower boys" looked a little on the feminine side. Now, I don't notice it unless someone asks me if the person in the picture is a girl, and I'm all like, "What?! You can't tell that is one fine looking MAN right there??" LOL I guess perceptions change with exposure. :D What I can't get over is how young everybody looks. I mean, how is it that everybody looks like they are at least 10 years younger than they are? (Unless you're in an idol group, and look like you're in your 20s, but really you're 16 and I've just become a pedo-noona. I'm looking at you Jeon Jung Kook.)

You and I, we are the same, we are.

I was going to quote your other post but I'm on my phone and it's harder to reply to everything.

I thought the chick in rooftop prince was awful, as well.

It's actually a relief, sometimes, if they put funny cuts at the end of the show, bc then I can remember, 'oh, right, this is a SHOW! That person is ACTING! They are not actually a horrible witch!' Etc.

Seriously. It's a good thing sometimes. :lol:

I'm 31, so I'm older than a lot of ppl, too. I will say that this most recent...uhhhmmmmm... 'Bias discovery' is definitely the youngest. Other than that I've always seen them all as adorable kids, if that makes sense. Mino is 21.

I figure that's still acceptable bc 1. He's legal and 2. I have friends who's spouses are 12-13 years older. So as long as I don't go over that limit. :lol:

Of course, I used to swear up and down that GD looked like he was 12 and was little boy cute, too. And then one day I didn't. :lol:

I can't stand rap.  Hate it.  Then I started listening to Kpop.  I love rap!  It's great!  (Only in Kpop.)

I love It's Okay, That's Love.

Of course, my problem is I'm always a noona, at even an ahjumma, to most of the actors/idols.   :crying:

I actually like Gong Yoo better in Big than Coffee Prince.

Your post really made me laugh out loud hard.  :smilielol5: You guys are all so funny.

Oh my, Big's ending was one of the biggest disappointing moments in my whole K-drama watching years. Think it almost topped the most terrible ending of the old K drama "Lovers in Paris" (that everything happened was just a daydream) in K drama history. Such a #$%^& stupid drama, lol. BTW, you all know Lee Min Jung is the wife of Lee Byung Hun, right?

I'm 34 and you all know more about the recent K pop than I do, haha. The only GD's song I know is Crooked and I liked EXO's Growl M/V but that's all since like 2010. I can't keep up any more, lol. And it's quite sad to realize those idols once used be Oppas and then peers to me, and now I'm not sure I can even be a Noona to them any more, probably more an Ajumma. :crying: lol 

Below are a few examples of the K hip hop/pop from 90s and early 2000s that I'm more used to. The first one is by Psy. The last song is what we used to dance with in a group in middle school like you did with Michael Jackson's Thriller. Time flies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOS1QmgZqN8

Photo removed

I have a worse ending than Big: Thrice Married Woman (aka The Woman Who Married Three Times). What makes it even worse is that it was 40 episodes just to get to that ending and I really could not believe it. Horrible. It wasn't left ambiguous, it was just plain horrible. The bad guys win and live happily ever after, the heroine's ending is somehow supposed to be a positive but I can't possibly get over what she had to give up (for no understandable reason since she had leverage). Major waste of time.