Menu

Fantastic Korean TV series on Netflix- The Great Doctor

NoPlaceLikeHome

Now a TV drama but, try the movie "New World" on Netflix. :)

ETA: TEN 2 and Sign are crime dramas and available on Hulu but I'm not sure if they're even comparable to the CSI series. I enjoyed both.

I'll give them a try. I don't watch CSI, but I do watch a lot of British mysteries.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'll give some of them a try.

I tend to lean towards police procedurals, crime dramas, and detective stories. Is there anything like that among the Korean shows available for U.S. viewers?

Your're All Surrounded might be worth checking out as well as City Hall which is more about corruption in politics with romance thrown in. Ghost (also called Phantom) has So Ji Sub in it and involves detectives and crime.

Personally, I can't stand the K-Dramas with weak, constantly sobbing female leads. I like at least a little spark to her. Another rec is History of a Salaryman which has a female lead who is basically the opposite of the typical female lead.

I agree. My 2 favorites, Master's Sun and Lie to Me as well as City Hall, have strong female leads.

Personally, I can't stand the K-Dramas with weak, constantly sobbing female leads. I like at least a little spark to her. Another rec is History of a Salaryman which has a female lead who is basically the opposite of the typical female lead.

Then please do check out Miss Korea.  The female protagonist, and all the other female characters are definitely a breath of fresh air if you are tired of the usual female tropes in Korean dramas.

Ok, I am going to have to try this out.  Was not really interested in branching out into KMovies, but the movie DramaFever has been promoting (Always) caught my eye.  I really enjoyed it...so I went on a Kmovie bing LOL

Always (DramaFever)~really good!  I thought they rushed the ending just a bit--but very typical Kdrama ending.

Petty Romance (Amazon Prime)~NOT SAFE FOR KIDS--at all!  Obviously far different standards in Kdrama and Movies.  This had Lee Sun-kyun (Miss Korea, Coffee Prince, Pasta)--I watched it because I love his voice.  The story was ok, but again I thought they rushed the story line at the end.  I almost turned it off because of some of the content :/

Romantic Island (Amazon Prime)~ Cute.  This also has Lee Sun-kyun.  Nothing too special about it, but It was a good way veg out and enjoy LSK :)

My Little Bride (Amazon Prime)~  Again, cute.  Some people may have issue with the 16 year old bride, but it was done well and respectful.  Very lighthearted.  

You left out Helpless and All About My Wife.  And watch for LSK's newest movie, A Hard Day.  It showed in Cannes (non-competitive) this year and received very good reviews there.  

I can't believe you mentioned White Christmas!!! This is one of the best Kdrama series I've seen, but couldn't find it on Hulu nor Netflix. Most actors and the actress are former models and this was their first drama. Many of them are all successful in acting now. 

Think you know about the recent shows more than I do. :)

I've been watching for a while and have a group of online friends who are enablers and I've watched some things on some pretty iffy sites.  White Christmas is the "official" drama of an online social group that talks about knitting and watching dramas that I'm a part of.  We've all seen it.  It was on a site called Dramamania (which was taken down) and now its on gooddrama.com but that site is really buggy now.  I'm hoping kdrama.tv will pick it up because it is such a good series. 

One of my friends is a recapper for dramabeans so she helps keep us all up to date on what new shows are coming out.  My upcoming drama list includes The Three Musketeers, Plus Nine Boys, Discovery of Love (with Sung Joon is a maybe).  And I've been watching the weekend drama Endless Love because of Jung Kyung Ho who is an awesome actor but the show is a bit heavy since it is about politics in the 1980s.

I'm a bad drama addict.  I also have a couple of Japanese ones that I am watching right now.  Lol.

Thanks, I'll give some of them a try.

I tend to lean towards police procedurals, crime dramas, and detective stories. Is there anything like that among the Korean shows available for U.S. viewers?

I have a soft spot for gangsters from Busan so a lot of the movies and some of the dramas I watch may crossover.  Here is a list of things that you might like:

Triangle--drama, really good, one of the main leads is a cop

A Better Tomorrow--movie, North/South issues and pretty bloody (a lot of the movies overcompensate for the censorship of TV shows)

A Company Man--movie, about a hit-man

A Man's Story--not quite a police procedural but a revenge drama involving stocks and detective work, lots of interesting characters in this one

Beyond the Clouds--revenge drama that includes lots of uncovering clues to find out what really happened, I call it the crying drama since everyone bursts into tears at some point

City Hunter--Lee Min Ho's revenge drama with lots of action and mystery, his best drama and he briefly dated his co-star.

Cruel City--on Hulu, it is about undercover cops in the world of gangsters, you don't know who is truly good or bad until the end, such a good drama but disturbing parts for some people, violent

Daisy--movie about spies

Friend or Chingu--movie on Hulu, epic

Friend 2 the Legend--movie

Friend The Untold Story--drama, I'm still watching this one, it's basically the original movie sanitized for TV with added story

Haeundae Lovers--drama, so cute and it is a police story

Hwayi:  A Monster Boy--movie, a bit of a detective story, very disturbing and not to be watched it you have any sort of triggers at all, it's about a boy raised by a group of insane hit-men

I Hear Your Voice--last year's hit noona romance is also a mystery/detective type story, so good.

Missing You--drama, about a police man and a mystery, does have triggers early on but it is probably one of the top dramas out there

Open City--movie about a police officer '

Pluto--movie, detective story, very disturbing and about an elite school

Secret Reunion--movie, Netflix, North/South spies

The Man from Nowhere--movie, Netflix, so good but about organ harvesters so very disturbing

The New World--movie, was on Netflix, undercover cop, one of my favorites

Time Between Dog and Wolf--drama, older, about NIS agents working against a drug trafficking ring from Thailand

Two Weeks--drama, second lead is a police officer, first male lead is on the run trying to stay alive for 2 weeks so he can donate his marrow to his daughter who is dying of leukemia

White Christmas--drama, takes place in a school for the top students

I've seen all of these.  I am still in the middle of watching IRIS which is on Hulu and there are several spinoffs of it.

For some reason I can't get anything from the links. I have 18 Years and Boy Go by SJS downloaded.

Like I said, being a rapper gave him cool points he didn't have in my book before lol... :D

If you search for So Ji Sub on youtube 18 years and others show up. If you search So Ji Sub Mellow on youtube the other song I posted shows up.

Then please do check out Miss Korea.  The female protagonist, and all the other female characters are definitely a breath of fresh air if you are tired of the usual female tropes in Korean dramas.

I agree, Miss Korea was on my drama recommendations list upthread and the female characters are really well-written. That drama actually managed to avoid pretty much all of the worst offenders of K-Drama cliches.

He was in Always!!  GAHHHHH!  Ok, will have to watch Master's Sun now :)

I will warn you that the first 30 minutes or so of Master's Sun can give one the wrong impression of Master's Sun being a horror show. It is not and I dislike most horror shows. I almost stopped watching it due to the first part but I am thrilled I persisted. There are ghosts in Master's Sun but they are all nice ghosts. The focus of the show is really romance with some action and comedy and mystery thrown in. You also see nice character development in the show.

I will warn you that the first 30 minutes or so of Master's Sun can give one the wrong impression of Master's Sun being a horror show. It is not and I dislike most horror shows. I almost stopped watching it due to the first part but I am thrilled I persisted. There are ghosts in Master's Sun but they are all nice ghosts. The focus of the show is really romance with some action and comedy and mystery thrown in. You also see nice character development in the show.

Real horror scares me to death, but I also had no issue with Master's Sun. :)  I saw the ad for Always on dramafever too and am going to check it out.

I'll check it out.

I still like the Great Doctor but now my favorites are The Master's Sun, Lie to Me, and City Hall. It looks like It's OK, It's Love and the new Korean version of Fated to Love You will also be up there with my favorites. Honestly there are many of them that are quite good. 

In terms of actors, I still think Lee Min Ho is good. However, I now think So Ji Sub and Kang Ji Hwan are better along with Cha Seung Won, Jang Hyuk, Choi Jin Hyuk, and Jo IN Sung.

I still like the Great Doctor but now my favorites are The Master's Sun, Lie to Me, and City Hall. It looks like It's OK, It's Love and the new Korean version of Fated to Love You will also be up there with my favorites. Honestly there are many of them that are quite good. 

In terms of actors, I still think Lee Min Ho is good. However, I now think So Ji Sub and Kang Ji Hwan are better along with Cha Seung Won, Jang Hyuk, Choi Jin Hyuk, and Jo IN Sung.

Ok, so I have seen the Taiwanese version of Fated to Love You and liked it, so I was excited about the Korean version.  I watched about 15-20 mins of  the first episode and turned it off...I just can't get past how over the top the male lead was.  Does it get better? 

I personally use Mydramalist.com to keep track of my current dramas and what I have watched.  I've watched over 70 dramas and 42 movies since I discovered these.  Currently I am watching 7 currently airing shows.  For newer shows I've loved:

I just went and set up an account at mydramalist.com.  I still need to add shows, but I was wondering if anyone would want to share profiles and "friend" each other?  If so, here is a link to my profile

http://mydramalist.com/profile/WagsWife

Or you may be able to search my user name "WagsWife."

Ok, so I have seen the Taiwanese version of Fated to Love You and liked it, so I was excited about the Korean version.  I watched about 15-20 mins of  the first episode and turned it off...I just can't get past how over the top the male lead was.  Does it get better? 

I definitely think it gets much better. I think his initial presentation is for comedic effect. Lee Gun definitely is a nicer guy than the Taiwan version from the get go.

I just went and set up an account at mydramalist.com.  I still need to add shows, but I was wondering if anyone would want to share profiles and "friend" each other?  If so, here is a link to my profile

http://mydramalist.com/profile/WagsWife

Or you may be able to search my user name "WagsWife."

I'm Linguistmama there too, adding my shows now :)

Does anyone else have playlists with drama songs, not just rap? ;) Even my kids are getting into it :)  I started watching Emergency Couple and it is really good.  I'm also watching a currently airing drama, Fall In Love With Me, which I swore I would never do, but it is really good.  The last episode airs on Sunday with the translation available Monday.  I'm torn between relief at finding out how it ends and not wanting it to end, lol!  I hate not being able to choose how much of it I watch.

Ok, so I have seen the Taiwanese version of Fated to Love You and liked it, so I was excited about the Korean version. I watched about 15-20 mins of the first episode and turned it off...I just can't get past how over the top the male lead was. Does it get better?

It gets soooo much better. Gun is so much sweeter and better than the Taiwanese guy. There is slapstick element in Asian entertainment that I don't see in American TV. Please keep watching it because you won't regret it.

This has been one of my favorite shows but then I've not seen the Taiwanese version.  I just love Gun.  He is just so crazy and over the top but he has these sweet moments that just melt your heart. 

My profile on mydramalist is Closeacademy.  I'll send you a friend request.

Does anyone else have playlists with drama songs, not just rap? ;) Even my kids are getting into it :)  I started watching Emergency Couple and it is really good.  I'm also watching a currently airing drama, Fall In Love With Me, which I swore I would never do, but it is really good.  The last episode airs on Sunday with the translation available Monday.  I'm torn between relief at finding out how it ends and not wanting it to end, lol!  I hate not being able to choose how much of it I watch.

Yes.  I have a playlist with all my favorite songs from my favorite dramas.  And I also have stuff from FT Island, CNBLUE and some anime songs I really like. 

I like watching currently airing dramas because it gives me better pacing and I'm less likely to abandon the family and go on a drama binge.  The two weeks I spent watching Empress Ki was probably hard on the family but I just couldn't stop watching or thinking about the show it was so good.

Empire of Gold was very well done, lots of strong acting. I watched it because Lee Yo Won was in it. It was fascinating to watch the family dynamics. I wasn't impressed with Go Soo's performance, but the drama was still very gripping.

Closeacademy, when I watched Queen Seonduk I so wished that it could have covered all of our school subjects! It was so hard to have to stop watching.

Youtube has many of the drama songs (OST) with clips from dramas. Some of these are official ones and others are fan made. However, some of these clips may have spoilers so if you have not watched whole drama then be careful watching these. There are tons for Master's Sun and Lie to Me which I love on youtube as well as many others.

Youtube has many of the drama songs (OST) with clips from dramas. Some of these are official ones and others are fan made. However, some of these clips may have spoilers so if you have not watched whole drama then be careful watching these. There are tons for Master's Sun and Lie to Me which I love on youtube as well as many others.

I have way too many youtube playlists! I love that while a lot of the OSTs have fun songs a lot also have a more classical style. I really like the Bad Guy and Queen Seonduk OSTs. Heirs had so many good kpop songs too.

I have kpop in general, but not many OST.  Honestly, I maybe have one on there?  In general the songs from shows don't end up making the cut - I like them on the show just fine, but they aren't what I want to listen to elsewhere.  My youtube playlist is

if you want to look at it - it's really long.

There are two sites that I check religiously everyday; the WTM forums and Dramabeans.  I never dreamed that the two would ever collide and now I just learned that a boardie knows in person one of the recappers for Dramabeans.

She and I are texting friends who met on another site--Ravelry (the social site for knitters, crocheters and other fiber artists and hobbyists).  She auditioned for Dramabeans earlier this year and got a spot. 

I was really surprised to find so many other lovers of Korean dramas on here. 

I have kpop in general, but not many OST.  Honestly, I maybe have one on there?  In general the songs from shows don't end up making the cut - I like them on the show just fine, but they aren't what I want to listen to elsewhere.  My youtube playlist is here  if you want to look at it - it's really long.

I started listening and I can see why most drama songs don't make the cut, great playlist!

Just wondering if anyone else is watching the currently airing weekend drama "Endless Love"?  I'd love to talk to someone else about it.  

If you haven't seen it, it is not for everyone.  It has TRIGGERS.  It's set in the 1980s and is about politics and the dirty deeds done behind the scenes to "take care of" certain people. 

I actually loved My Princess!  It is more of a romantic comedy.  And even if you don't like Kim Tae Hee, there's her leading man Song Heung Hun (sp?) ...

Yes, Song Seung Hun. :) His acting is not bad though his general image in Korea is a male "Kim Tae Hee." 

Moon, I have a question about something that is in Sweet 18. Once the two leads get married, she gives him a hard time because he just walks into the apartment instead of ringing the door bell, so she can let him in. At one point she accuses him if trying to sneak in on her, but I don't think that is why she wants him to ring the bell, I think it is so she can welcome him home. Is this common in Korea, or is it just something quirky with this show? I have never seen/heard this before.

Moon, I have a question about something that is in Sweet 18. Once the two leads get married, she gives him a hard time because he just walks into the apartment instead of ringing the door bell, so she can let him in. At one point she accuses him if trying to sneak in on her, but I don't think that is why she wants him to ring the bell, I think it is so she can welcome him home. Is this common in Korea, or is it just something quirky with this show? I have never seen/heard this before.

I'm not Moon but from the dramas I've watched, it seems to be common to welcome dad home at the end of the day.  I actually dropped Sweet 18 but only because Lee Dong Gun puts me to sleep.  Lol.  It seemed like a really cute show but I've found that I can't watch anything with him in it. 

Wow, that is an OLD drama, lol. 2004, right? I've never seen it so I have to watch the whole scene to understand the context, but if I must guess, I think the female lead character in the drama is married really young at 18 (Most Korean women get married in their late 20s or later.) to an older prosecutor who's considered to be a catch, so I guess she desires to be treated as a grown-up woman by her husband. Welcoming a husband coming home from work at the door is a newly wed wife-y kind of sweetness that she wanted to do for him? I'm not sure... I don't think it's necessarily a Korean thing. :)

I havent seen either of the shows, but took a peak at wikipedia to see what Great Doctor was about and sounded to me like similarities with Outlander??

I have not seen Outlander but you can see a short description on Viki.com or Dramafever.com as well as trailers and clips. I liked it a lot but my 2 favorites are now the Master' Sun and Lie to Me.