Menu

S/O Disney World/Seaworld

Mona100

I didn't want to post this in the other thread. I am going to Orlando in May and wanted to go to Seaworld but in the other thread alot of folks did not like Seaworld. So, I wanted to go but now I am questioning my choice. Pros or cons of going to Seaworld.

I also saw that same of the crowd calendars contradicted each other. If you have used the calendars in the past, which one is the most accurate?

If I decide not to go to SeaWorld, I have an extra day on my hands. Should I drive out to the Kennedy Space Center or do something totally different in the Orlando/Tampa area? I am not adverse to driving a little ways out to see something cool.

My daughter is 18 and this is our 2nd trip to Disney. The first time we did the whole resort stay and park hopper passes. This time I got a condo and I have already planned some restaurants outside of Disney. We don't like roller coasters so I am thinking the Universal is out. When I went as a teenager, I didn't have a good time bc to me that is all Universal is to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've never been to the space center but I would pick it hands down over SeaWorld any day. I live near a combo marine place /amusement park and the animals die all. the. time. and have for years. It makes me sick. I can't believe it goes on.

What about something like Blue Man Group?

Space center

Swim with manatees(it's worth the drive to crystal river, yes the 6am tour!) with River Ventures. Get capt steve!

Pick organic fruit at world of citrus (30 min from resorts)

Swim with manatees? Get out. Now that sounds like fun. I will definitely look into that.

We loved the Animal Kingdom the last time we went. We are also looking at Gatorland. My daughter loves gators.

Keep the suggestions coming you guys.

I've never been to the space center but I would pick it hands down over SeaWorld any day. I live near a combo marine place /amusement park and the animals die all. the. time. and have for years. It makes me sick. I can't believe it goes on.

What about something like Blue Man Group?

Blue Man Group was something I was considering.

If you swim with the manatees, be sure to take some warm stuff to wear on the boat ride. The spring water is cold (around 72º, I think) and then being wet, in the cool air, zipping along in an open boat can be chilly if you're not prepared. You will probably want to rent a wetsuit, which does not keep you dry -it allows a thin layer of water to get next to your skin, which is warmed by your body temp.

The Florida Aquarium is also nice and educational. It is in Tampa, about 2 hours west of Orlando.

We also loves silver springs, but I think it has changed since we were there. My boys still remember touching an alligator at silver springs when they were toddlers

Silver Springs is now owned by the state park system and is part of Silver River State Park. We love going there but we haven't been since it's been officially taken over so I have no idea what it's like today. We went during the switchover and it was still really nice.

I loved Sea World.  In fact, I loved it as much as Disney. We did a behind-the-scenes penguin tour and that was the coolest thing ever.

Sea World is a good place for those who don't like roller coasters.  The emphasis of the park is not so much on the rides, but on the animals.

Blackfish aside (because I'm sure every theme park has it's dark secrets, as well as zoos), We went to Sea World a few months ago. My Disney loving girls were bored and asking to leave. The animal actors show was decent, as well as the kids play area, but it definitely wasn't up to Disney standards.

We did Universal on that same trip. We've done it quite a few times before too. Islands of Adventure is good for thrill ride lovers. If you don't like fast rides then it's kind of boring with the exception of wandering through Harry Potter World.

We'd still rather go to Disney, as we usually do.

I didn't want to post this in the other thread. I am going to Orlando in May and wanted to go to Seaworld but in the other thread alot of folks did not like Seaworld. So, I wanted to go but now I am questioning my choice. Pros or cons of going to Seaworld.

I also saw that same of the crowd calendars contradicted each other. If you have used the calendars in the past, which one is the most accurate?

If I decide not to go to SeaWorld, I have an extra day on my hands. Should I drive out to the Kennedy Space Center or do something totally different in the Orlando/Tampa area? I am not adverse to driving a little ways out to see something cool.

My daughter is 18 and this is our 2nd trip to Disney. The first time we did the whole resort stay and park hopper passes. This time I got a condo and I have already planned some restaurants outside of Disney. We don't like roller coasters so I am thinking the Universal is out. When I went as a teenager, I didn't have a good time bc to me that is all Universal is to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Seaworld has a number of parks in the areas your going, so a combo pass might be good idea. For example, Aquatica (a nice waterpark) is right across the street from Seaworld. Not far away in Tampa is Busch Gardens (amusement park) and visible from BG is another watermark in the Seaworld. Family. I forgot what that the waterpark is called.

We went to SeaWorld and did not like it. We thought it would be more education focused and great for homeschoolers. It seemed more entertainment focused. I enjoy our local aquarium more than we enjoyed SeaWorld. And I have not seen Blackfish, but I'm sure it would just push me more in that direction.

We LOVED Universal Studios too, quite possibly more than Disney.

Throwing out another idea....what about the beach?   From Orlando, you can get to Clearwater Beach on the gulf side or Daytona Beach on the Atlantic side in 1-2 hours.   Gulf beaches are prettier with better sand, while Atlantic beaches have more waves if you want to surf.   If you go to the Space center, you can combine a beach trip and a visit to Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach into the same trip.   Our favorite gulf beaches are Honeymoon Island north of Clearwater, or Ft. DeSoto in St. Pete.  Either beach option would have LOTS of things to do, like renting surfboards, jetskis, kayaks, bicycles, or you can just go hang out (for the cost of parking).   

Busch Gardens in Tampa is a lot of fun, even if you don't like roller coasters.   Their water park is called Adventure Island, but you'll need to check to see if it's open in May on the day that you visit.   You can buy a combo ticket that includes both BG and AI.