Menu

HSA credit card in DH's name only. Can I use it?

Kathryn

So, we got a credit card attached to our Health Savings Account. This is the first year we've done the HSA plan. It is only in my husband's name. I'm the one that goes to the doctor all the time and takes the kids. Can I use it, or am I going to have to pay out of pocket and then withdraw cash to reimburse myself?

I use dh's all the time. HSAs can only be in one person's name, so I don't think any doctor would be surprised to see an hsa card in the husband's name.

Our HSA is in dh's name, as he is the employed. However, each person in our household who is 18+ has an hsa debit card to use when they go to the doctor or pick up prescriptions. It has the name of person possessing the card on it (as in, one has my name on it, one has elder's ds' name on it and one has dh's name on it). They are all for the same hsa account.

Our HSA is in dh's name, as he is the employed. However, each person in our household who is 18+ has an hsa debit card to use when they go to the doctor or pick up prescriptions. It has the name of person possessing the card on it (as in, one has my name on it, one has elder's ds' name on it and one has dh's name on it). They are all for the same hsa account.

It probably depends on the bank that you have the HSA account with.  My point was more that I know plenty of banks issue the card only in the account owner's name, so the dr's office probably won't blink an eye at it.

It probably depends on the bank that you have the HSA account with.  My point was more that I know plenty of banks issue the card only in the account owner's name, so the dr's office probably won't blink an eye at it.

The HSA is through dh's employer, not through the bank........ but the cards work like a bank card, in that authorized users get their own cards, with their own name on it. Doctors offices might not blink at it but I've been asked for id at the pharmacist many times.

I do - all the time.  I sign my own name and nothing has ever been denied.

Yup. Has Dh's name on it because it is offered through his work. I never had a problem with it. I think he had to add my name somewhere on the application. If it's P & A, you can access a lot online, perhaps even add a person.

Yes, you can use it. Legally, from what I've learned, your entire family (spouse + dependents) can use someone's HSA even if only the owner/insured has the HSA eligible plan! So, even if you and the kids were on different insurance, you could STILL use his HSA. If you are all on the same HSA eligible plan, then it is a no brainer that you can all use it. 

Yes, you can use it. Legally, from what I've learned, your entire family (spouse + dependents) can use someone's HSA even if only the owner/insured has the HSA eligible plan! So, even if you and the kids were on different insurance, you could STILL use his HSA. If you are all on the same HSA eligible plan, then it is a no brainer that you can all use it. 

That depends on how the HSA is set up. Dh's employer puts money into the HSA so we can only use it for expenses related to meeting our deductible. Dh has to sign something every year indicating that he understands that it is an HSA, not an FSA, and that it can only be used for covered expenses.