Menu

U.S. residents, in which regional division do you live?

U.S. Residents, in which region do you live?  

1. 1. U.S. Residents, in which region do you live?

• Northeast ~ New England
    • Northeast ~ Mid-Atlantic
    • South ~ South Atlantic
    • South ~ East South Central
    • South ~ West South Central
    • Midwest ~ East North Central
    • Midwest ~ West North Central
    • West ~ Mountain
    • West ~ Pacific

This is a poll for U.S. residents only. Maybe I (or someone else) can post a separate poll for those who live elsewhere. The poll options are based on regional divisions used by the U.S. Census Bureau as follows:

1) Northeast ~ New England: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut

2) Northeast ~ Mid-Atlantic: New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

3) South ~ South Atlantic: Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

4) South ~ East South Central: Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama

5) South ~ West South Central: Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana

6) Midwest ~ East North Central: Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio

7) Midwest ~ West North Central: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri

8) West ~ Mountain: Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

9) West ~ Pacific: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii

I'm an idiot today, and should just go take a nap.

I voted northeast, mid-atlantic. When actually, er, Virginia is in the South. I knew that. Honest. I have grits.

I did the same thing, because being a Navy wife, our stickers say "Midlant" meaning mid atlantic.

I guess I never thought of VA as being in the South other than during the civil war.

I grew up in Calif BUT now live in Illinois - not sure which region of the Midwest Illinois is in. So I did not vote yet. Someone help this geographically challenged California girl. I always thought the Midwest was just the Midwest. I do not know if Illinois is East or West Midwest.

I grew up in Calif BUT now live in Illinois - not sure which region of the Midwest Illinois is in. So I did not vote yet. Someone help this geographically challenged California girl.

I listed in my original post the states within each region. Illinois is part of #6, Midwest ~ East North Central.:)

Texas, I think that Texas should of had it's own designation.;)

:D That's kinda how I felt about California. Just doesn't seem like part of the same region as Washington, where we think more in terms of the "Pacific Northwest", not "Pacific West". But for sake of ease, I just stuck with these Census Bureau regional divisions.

I'm glad you posted which States went with which region because I didn't know that the midwest was divided into two sections. I felt a little stupid....but I guessed the right one! Yea!!

Some of these regional division titles are kinda comical. They remind me of street addresses in some modern subdivisions: "164th North Central Place West" or some such.:D

Weird. Right off the bat more replies from west coast people? Maybe just fewer west coasters exercise? Or the time of the day you started the poll?

I always have the impression that there are far more people on this board who live east of the Mississippi than do west. Based on that, I expected at least a 2-to-1 ratio. Like you said, maybe it just has to do with when I posted the poll. I'm surprised in general that so few have voted. I thought it was an interesting idea, but maybe it's the statistician in me.:tongue_smilie:

sniff.sniff. I KNEW I was out here (cold and North) alone (I think I'm the only SDer here).

I thought you lived in San Diego! I've never been to CA, but I was sure it was warm and south. Finally figured out you must live in South Dakota. :lol:

ETA: Oh boy, I should have read your name before I responded. When I saw SDer in your post, I thought you were sdWTMer. I think I'll shut up and stop posting now. :-)

I always have the impression that there are far more people on this board who live east of the Mississippi than do west. Based on that, I expected at least a 2-to-1 ratio. Like you said, maybe it just has to do with when I posted the poll. I'm surprised in general that so few have voted. I thought it was an interesting idea, but maybe it's the statistician in me.:tongue_smilie:

Did you know that 2/3 of the US population lives within 700 miles of Indianapolis??? That means only 1/3 of the population live in the west. We're doing state history right now and I just found that out.:)

I wonder how Hawaii gets lumped in with Alaska!

They're both in the West, on the Pacific.:)

Seems like there could be some more regions for the Western states. You could fit the whole New England *and* Mid-Atlantic states inside Texas.

Yabbut, the divisions are just for data analysis and presentation purposes. They aren't created based on land mass.

I did the same thing, because being a Navy wife, our stickers say "Midlant" meaning mid atlantic.

I guess I never thought of VA as being in the South other than during the civil war.

Well, me too. I never, ever thought of Delaware as being in the South. And it was not part of the south during the Civil War, it wasn't part of the north either. It is the only state east of the Mason-Dixon line, a border state with slaves but aligned with the North.

So, I made a goof too and said I was part of the MidAtlantic group. Polls :lol:

Carole