Menu

updated question. let's make a list of the easiest, open and go, and simple programs

bttrflyvld

Honestly, your kids are 6 and 4.   Those are the ages when you snuggle up close and do everything with them b/c it is mommy/school-time and learning is fun and engaging and interactive.  Homeschooling should be parent intensive, especially during the primary grades b/c we are taking on the role of teacher.  

Honestly, your kids are 6 and 4. Those are the ages when you snuggle up close and do everything with them b/c it is mommy/school-time and learning is fun and engaging and interactive. Homeschooling should be parent intensive, especially during the primary grades b/c we are taking on the role of teacher.

When I think of open and go, I think of things you don't have to prepare ahead of time. It has nothing to do with how much interaction there is between parent and child. We use FLL and WWE which I consider open and go but my 6 year old does absolutely NOTHING without me. Which is kindof fine, but it would be nice if he would continue to do his copywork while I help the 3 yo in the bathroom!

We also use Explode the Code which is open and go. There are lots of Evan Moore workbooks that you can either purchase by the book or get a subscription to teacherfilebox.com. I have a subscription but I just use bits and pieces. (Like if we're interested in space, I'll look up stuff on space....we don't systematically go through the workbooks. But you could if you wanted to.)

ETA: I didn't notice this was for 3rd grade and up. I only have a first grader.....that's all I know about!

I agree open and go has nothing to do with how much time you spend with your child teaching them. I like easy open and go programs, I still teach all of it and work together.

Some open and go programs that have it all laid out for the teacher include:

Math Mammoth

CLE Math

Elemental Science

R&S English

Memoria lit guides

I agree w/ the others, so will try to clarify open and go vs. independent:

Math - a friend of mine has struggled teaching math and is LOVING teaching textbooks, for its online component.  Makes her daughter (11) mostly independent.  My dd has been using SM.  Now that she's on book 5B she's mostly independent (unless she struggles...), but that took years to get to!
English/grammar - we read a lot from Classical House of Learning which is mostly independent, though I often read the book too.  For grammar I have her read a kid-oriented grammar book each quarter this year. 
spelling - we LOVE All About Spelling, it's totally easy to know what to do, but we do need to do it together
writing - Writing with Skill is intended to be independent, but it really depends on the maturity of the student.  We started halfway through 5th grade and did it together.  She got through maybe 12 weeks worth.  This year she is expected to do it independently but we still go through almost every assignment together after she gives it a shot.  Her writing has greatly improved though!
Reading - Classical House of Learning literature that corresponds to our history.  She also reads classics.
Science - she's done this w/ a few friends as part of a science group taught by one of the dads.  Totally hands-off for me, but not for him!  We also use BFSU, wonderful program but neither open and go nor independent.  Oh and when she wants to, she'll spend a quarter studying a topic of her choosing (like marine biology).  We set up a plan about how many books, websites, documentaries, etc. to watch.  What kind of output is reasonable, a goal for fieldwork, and for fieldtrips.  That's been super fun, and a good mix of independent and together.

Does that help at all?

When I think of open and go, I think of things you don't have to prepare ahead of time. It has nothing to do with how much interaction there is between parent and child.

She didn't just say open and go, she specified parent intensive. I interpreted parent intensive as meaning teaching heavy vs. independent. Any pre-planned curriculum could technically qualify as open and go,but they are definitely not equal in parental involvement.

Fwiw, the OP was edited bc the OP did not refer to grades 3+ which is why I referred to ages 4 and 6.

When I think of open and go, I think of things you don't have to prepare ahead of time. It has nothing to do with how much interaction there is between parent and child.

:iagree:

For open and go (not really any prep) math I would say Teaching Textbooks. 

Sequential Spelling is pretty open and go.

We are using Essentials in Writing and that's pretty open and go....just pop in the dvd and find the workbook page.

I'm having a block when it comes to thinking of open and go/no prep grammar (maybe MCT...we just started and so far it's pretty open and go, but I'm not sure yet), reading, science (I've never found an easy open and go science...there always seems to be something to gather or several books to juggle), and history (you forgot history ;) ).  I'll be interested to hear what others say. 

ETA: now that I read some of the other comments that were posted as I was typing.....independent?  Well, TT can be but I don't recommend that.  SS can't be done by the student alone.  EIW could be, I guess, but you'd want to check the worksheet right away.  The only things my 4th grader does independently would probably be a vocab book (that I check after she does the page), and a few miscellaneous workbooks....everything else I'm right there with her. 

I agree, the OP is talking about two different aspects. Open and go are books with little to no prep ahead of time, like WWE, FLL, and MCT. However, all of those are parent intensive and not independent.

Honestly, we haven't found much of anything other than some aspects of writing composition, reading, and math to be at all independent in the K-4th grade range.

Math

English/grammar

spelling

writing

Reading

Science 

Math: We have used SM 1-5 and MM 1-2, 4-5. We switched over to MM because it was open and go, and I didn't want to haul around several books because we travel quite a bit.

English/Grammar: Growing With Grammar is open and go, but there wasn't much retention. Rod and Staff is open and go, but the exercises are a more difficult than GWG so I must make sure my DS reads the lesson then does the exercises. Otherwise, he tries to do the exercises and doesn't understand. R&S is very religious if that matters to you.

Spelling: I'm using Spelling Workout right now. It's workbook based so open-and-go.

Reading: Total Language Plus has literature guide workbooks that I've reviewed, but opted not use. TLP is also religious. For my kids, reading is dependent on ability, interests, and academic focus. I make up a list of books for each child, and assign them on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I think this is one that may be a bit more difficult to find as open-and-go. 

Science: I make up a list of books. The kids read them and we discuss. Sometimes they draw and label pictures. Other times, they watch videos. As part of a weekly writing assignment, my oldest may write a paper on science. I have a few kits that my oldest will play with, but we don't do a formal program. I've used Science Essentials as a interesting read for the kids.

The Amish curricula:

Climbing to Good English

Pathway Readers

Study Time Arithmetic

ACE School Of Tomorrow Paces

American School for high school

Saxon Math

Computer games for spelling

Science: Cat in the hat, Magic School Bus, Bill Nye

She didn't just say open and go, she specified parent intensive. I interpreted parent intensive as meaning teaching heavy vs. independent. Any pre-planned curriculum could technically qualify as open and go,but they are definitely not equal in parental involvement.

Fwiw, the OP was edited bc the OP did not refer to grades 3+ which is why I referred to ages 4 and 6.

Yeah, I didn't remember the parent intensive thing being in there either. And obviously, I also did not notice the grade 3+.

Rod and Staff for:

Math

English {includes all the Grammar/Writing you will ever need}

Spelling {includes vocabulary using Roots in later levels}

Science is a nice extra. Pick what you like. We like Real Science 4 Kids. Christian Liberty Press has a nice nature Reader series, as well.

Reading: pick a book list and read away the hours. have the child make a notebook with short reports about the books they read. Real quick "what the story was About" Why I liked it or not" Draw a picture. We love Memoria Press Lit guides but you can use their lists as just that--lists.

Atelier Art gets rave reviews. K12 is also good as an Independant for Art and Science. I don't teach history to small children but K12 tempts me.

Christian Light Education is similar to R&S, as well. Use only the Sunrise editions. I would also advise only using the new Sunrise editions for Lang Arts. WAAY better than the previous incarnations.

HTH!

Sequential Spelling is pretty open and go.

Unless I'm totally mixed up Sequential Spelling is only recommended to start in grade 3. You are to do other stuff for spelling before that. (If I'm wrong we are VERY behind in spelling. :P)

For science we listened to the audio version of MR. Q science, and of course had lots of books from the library and Bill Nye to watch on tv. 

Singapore Math has been non-teacher intensive with my mathy son; he often can figure out the concepts on his own or with the book. Level 3 is a lot of multiplication practice, so once he understood the concept, it was very easy for him to just do the next 2-4 pages in the workbook.

HWOT cursive has been non-teacher intensive, open and go, as well, for that same son. Just do the next two pages. He didn't require a lot of help from me and could easily do it on his own 99% of the time. If nothing else, he knew he could do cursive every day before I had a chance to go over anything else with him.

DD is generally finding Writing With Skill to be open and go and not requiring a lot from me, unless she gets stuck. Actually, I find that WWE is open and go as well, but it is teacher intensive.

We are using Mr. Q for science, and it's also open and go, except that you do need to look ahead a bit to make sure you have the materials listed for the experiments. But otherwise, it required very little planning on my part.

Both of my older kids are using Pandia Press's History Odyssey this year, and as I keep saying, I am in love with it. I spent a few minutes with each program, breaking the lessons down into what I felt were reasonable chunks of work for a day -- like, DS1 might have 2 pages in Usborne to read, a definition to look up, and a map to fill in, all for one day's work, and the next day, he might have a chapter of SOTW to read and two things he learned to write down. Since I drew lines to divvy up the work, he knows exactly what to do each day, and he can do it on his own. Same with DD and Level 2.

I hires what I was looking for was to see what programs I might have missed.

I'm working on our 1St grade plans and wanted to find programs that w could continue all the way through the entire program. I I don't like the idea of switching to other programs for different grades. just want to find programs that are easy on the parent.

So what my question should have read was:

What programs are easy to teach and is not to time consuming on the parents part?

Math: Math Mammoth, Teaching Textbooks, CLE, also Evan-Moor's Daily Math Practice and Daily Word Problems

Writing: Essentials in Writing, WWE

Grammar:  Evan-Moor's Daily Language Review, Daily Paragraph Editing, Grammar & Punctuation

Spelling:  Evan-Moor's Building Spelling Skills series

Of those, we're using Teaching Textbooks, Building Spelling Skills, Grammar & Punctuation, and will likely be adding Essentials in Writing in January.  It's nice to have the core done efficiently and be able to get on with the rest of our day.

Evan-Moor has a lot of efficient resources.  Get it done and get on with life.  You need to be available to explain and answer questions, but they're pretty self-explanatory.

I'm working on our 1St grade plans and wanted to find programs that w could continue all the way through the entire program. I I don't like the idea of switching to other programs for different grades.

You may find that your needs and your children's needs change over the years, and that switching programs can give you great benefits.

Honestly, if I'd stuck with one thing the whole time, I'd be bored out of my mind, and I don't think my kids' education would be as full as it is. We're hitting each subject from various viewpoints. That's a good thing.

What my kids are using today is not what they needed when my oldest was 1st grade. What I need as a teacher is also not what I needed when my oldest was 1st grade. I'm sure that what I need as a teacher in a few more years will be different from what I need now. I grow and learn along with the kids, and then I need less hand holding, less scripting, etc. I can be more flexible with using different programs (you would not believe how many grammar programs we have used, but you know what? My 4th grader knows grammar! :lol:). I've even, <gasp>, switched math programs with two of my kids so far without horrible repercussions. :D

I hires what I was looking for was to see what programs I might have missed.

I'm working on our 1St grade plans and wanted to find programs that w could continue all the way through the entire program. I I don't like the idea of switching to other programs for different grades. just want to find programs that are easy on the parent.

What programs are easy to teach and is not to time consuming on the parents part?

Have you listened to the SWB audio lecture on the different stages of homeschool? The K-4 years are a very parent intensive stage and they aren't likely to be easy on the parent no matter what you use. These are the "parent at elbow" years as SWB puts it. One of Merry's posts told me that the year she had a 3rd grader and a 1st grader was one of her toughest years, and that comment reassured me that I wasn't doing it wrong. These are just high-need parent years.

I have a 3rd grader and a kindergartener. And a 3 year old who likes to destroy lol. Everything we use is open and go, easy for me as the teacher. However, nothing is independent yet. I still sit with each kid for each subject. For me, open and go means I don't need to look ahead much, I don't need to write lesson plans, and we can literally open the book, do the next page and be done. So, for us-

Kindergarten-

Explode the Code-I use it for phonics reinforcement, handwriting (teaching letter formation ala WRTR), and a bit of reading.

Miquon-once I learned the method, it became very easy for me to talk them through the exercises.

Phonograms ala WRTR-I write them on the small white board, we go over them, she writes them as I name them.

Phonics Pathways-usually we do a page of this per day and-

Real books-we have a plethora of books here, and she reads from one everyday.

Third grade-

Beast Academy for math-love love love this. It is perfect after Miquon. Dd loves it too, and asks for it first everyday.

Rod and Staff spelling- it's boring, and religious (so keep that in mind if you prefer a secular program) but it's simple and gets the job done.

CAP Fables for writing-beautiful program. Everything I wanted in a writing program. I'm so excited we found this. This includes copywork and dictation passages, which we do everyday (she does the copy work twice per week and the dictation twice as well) for cursive practice.

KISS grammar-like its namesake-it's simple. I printed the entire year and bound it, and we just do a page at a time.

Killgallon Sentances-I don't even have her write these, we do them orally together.

Barron's Science-she reads, we answer the questions and occasionally do the activities. She also reads a ton of non-fiction about science, we watch documentaries, go on field trips, ect.

SOTW History-we read the book and additional books to go along with the topics. Sometimes she narrates, sometimes I ask comprehension questions. Watch documentaries if there are any. No projects, we just never get around to them, and for whatever reason my kids are not fans of mommy lead projects.

Literature- whatever awesome book we are currently reading aloud.

Dance Mat Typing-actually, this is the one thing she does on her own lol

And that's it. Simple, not cumbersome, not expensive-most things can be reused for subsequent children, and high quality. Like I said, nothing (minus typing) is done on their own yet. I might tell them to start on something, and then I'll piddle around online, but I'm sitting right there to help them stay on task and answer any questions, correct letter formation/pencil grip/math mistakes. Hope that helps!

what have you used that was easy to use, open and go, and not parent intensive.

Wordsmith and Wordsmith Apprentice (writing)

Key Curriculum Press (math supplement)

The Greek Code Cracker (Koine Greek)

CLE's Music lightunits (my 8 yro loves these for some weird reason)

I just want to throw a word of caution that even "open and go" programs require oversight and teaching. I've heard of (and seen) horror stories where kids blazed through a program, mom thought it was great, and they learned/retained nothing. Then mom was shocked and disillusioned. Some kids want to learn, but most really like the path of least resistance.

We're teachers. We're homeschooling to lead and direct and mold our kids education. I love low planning stuff, but I'm walking though it daily with my kids. For example - we use Art Reed DVDs for Algebra 1/2 and up - but I sit with the student and we watch together and do the problems alongside each other. We use CLE - but I check up on the assignments. We use BJU DVD science - but I monitor their work and we do investigations.

I know it may not be the intention of anyone on this thread, but I often cringe when I read about the push for young students to be more "independent". Older kids - yes - some things they can manage better (we're having a low workload history year then year - but Omni one next year) but they still need monitoring and interaction.

So, my encouragement would be to see this list as low planning but not low parental involvement.

FWIW - here are some low planning things we like-

CLE LA and Reading (grades 3+)

FLL 1/2

Art Reed DVDs with Saxon upper level maths

Horizon math from k-6

VP Self paced online histories

BJU science on DVD for 6 and 7

Sonlight read aloud and book packages (and Cores)

National Bible Bee studies

Writeshop Apprentice (which is fun, but not what I consider rigorous)

Huh, that's not how I took what she said, but I guess I'd just be guessing.  When I think "not parent intensive", I think I don't have to spend an eternity planning ahead.  I don't assume I can just assign stuff and walk away.

But maybe that is not what she meant at all!

I think teaching intensive is what she meant.  She posted this just a couple of posts above yours:

Since FairProspects mentioned programs like MCT and FLL being open and go, but parent-intensive, and stated that open and go and parent intensive are 2 separate issues, I think the above explanation is to expand upon that thought.  I'm not sure how one interprets "easy to teach and not time consuming on the parents part" to mean something other than mostly independent.  I'm thinking she wants programs like ETC and Evan Moor, etc that are workbook oriented.

Traditional textbooks:

• Math: Rod and Staff (3rd grade requires teaching the lesson first, but it's all scripted in the TM, and the lesson only takes, IDK, 10 minutes. After that, everything is in the student text as well as the oral class time in the TM)
  • English/grammar: Rod and Staff English
  • spelling: Rod and Staff, Modern Curriculum Press's Spelling Workout*
  • writing: If you use R&S's English, you don't need to add anything for writing
  • Reading: I'm not a big fan of vocabulary-controlled basal readers and their accompanying workbooks, but if you must...R&S's Bible Nurture and Reader series through 4th, then the upper-level readers through 9th*
  • Science: ABeka, Rod and Staff's God's World series (which begins at 3rd)

More homeschool-y stuff:

• Math: Making Math Meaningful
  • English/grammar: Easy Grammar*
  • spelling: Words misspelled in other subjects*
  • writing: Writing Strands* (level 3 and up); Understanding Writing)*
  • Reading: Good trade books with narration, and occasional book reports using the forms from the Love to Learn Place*
  • Science: Considering God's Creation

*Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell; the children read good trade books instead of readers (although Spalding Education International does publish readers, but they are different than other readers, and they are optional). It can also cover grammar, writing, and reading (which you understand is different from teaching children how to read in the first place). Once you have studied the manual (Writing Road to Reading), Spalding really is open-and-go and simple to teach; it is, however, teacher intensive--not that it takes a long time to teach daily, but that the teacher is always involved. IOW, you could simplify your English instruction by just doing Spalding for reading, spelling, writing, reading and grammar. Most people like a little more variety to their lives, though, lol.

I think the OP is looking for things kids can use easily and independently.  We use that kind of stuff for times when we're waiting in doctor's or dentists' offices...waiting for the van's tire rotation/oil change, etc.  Each of my kids has a backpack and if they think they'll be bored, they'll grab a workbook before we head out.  We also had a year where we were moving around 3 different cities and the kids used mostly open-and-go workbooks (they used CLE).

Oh, another one I remembered.  Building Thinking Skills.  A lot of people like that one, but my older kids thought it was too repetitive (and it was expensive).  But, that's another possibility to add to your list. 

My 4th really enjoys independent workbooks.  She's little, but so far, she's liked Explode the Code, Book of Animals, the MEP worksheets and a binder I made for her filled with connect-the-dots, mazes, phonics worksheets, handwriting pages, math worksheets, etc.  She LOVES that binder (Lol).  I actually made it for her in June and she's almost finished with it, so I need to make her another one.   :glare:

I completely agree with one of the above posters (friedclams).

I don't understand how you could or want to get away from the teacher/parent high involvement part. When you chose to homeschool that comes with the territory and to me that's one of the best perks of it! I love open and go programs. They make lesson planning a breeze and teaching a breeze, but I always like to actually teach the lesson to make sure my kids actually get it and it gives them a break a from sitting with book after book doing work. I love the interaction and I find it very important to teach the lesson and always check in it do the work together to make sure it is all sinking in and they're not just flying through getting answers right, but not retaining anything. Even with MM which is written to the student I still do an oral lesson on the board and we discuss it, go over problems, ect before they get their independent work. Even then I frequently check in.

I think even in middle school grades it's important to teach the lesson and check in on the student rather than having them have a check list and stack of books to complete. Where is the teaching in that?

I understand sometimes work needs to be completed independently, but not after at least a quick lesson.

I don't understand how you could or want to get away from the teacher/parent high involvement part. When you chose to homeschool that comes with the territory and to me that's one of the best perks of it! I love open and go programs. They make lesson planning a breeze and teaching a breeze, but I always like to actually teach the lesson to make sure my kids actually get it and it gives them a break a from sitting with book after book doing work. I love the interaction and I find it very important to teach the lesson and always check in it do the work together to make sure it is all sinking in and they're not just flying through getting answers right, but not retaining anything. Even with MM which is written to the student I still do an oral lesson on the board and we discuss it, go over problems, ect before they get their independent work. Even then I frequently check in.

I think even in middle school grades it's important to teach the lesson and check in on the student rather than having them have a check list and stack of books to complete. Where is the teaching in that?

I understand sometimes work needs to be completed independently, but not after at least a quick lesson.

You don't completely get away from it (parent involvement).  And, at least for me, "getting away from it" isn't the point.   

But some us use programs that are (mostly) self-teaching, because we are far more effective when we are in the role of facilitator, mentor, and mom than wearing the official "teacher" hat.  I'm still very involved in my kids' formal education.  I'm always available and spend a fair bit of time explaining, answering questions and guiding.  

I'm a mediocre teacher, but a fabulous facilitator.  When I accepted this about myself and found programs that played to my strengths, everything got better.  This is our fifth year homeschooling and is, by far, our most productive, effective one yet.   

So for us, efficient, "get it done" programs that address the core and allow me to flourish as a facilitator and mentor (not "teacher") rule the day.

Please don't judge.  Not everyone has to be like you to be a good homeschool parent.  It takes all kinds, you know?

Judging?? Not at all. It just seems like when those who chose to homeschool choose to take on the responsibility of teaching our children and that means teaching them. I'm not perfect nor is my method, what works for us won't work for most.

As I understand some programs require more prep time than others to use. since I have more than one child, and plan on having more, I was just looking for curriculum that would be easier to use.

I have all intentions to be right beside my children as they learn. Even though we are on our kindergarten year, I have bought things and already shelved them because prep time was awful.

when I posted this question I was just looking for some of your favorite, hoping to find some I hadn't looked into before.

Sometimes students need to teach themselves for all sorts of reasons. When people post here, I assume there is a whole backstory I don't know about even if they post a LOT here. What we choose to say here, and the full reality of our lives, are sometimes very different.

If someone says they need the student to self-teach, then I just agree that is what they need to do. Period.

Life can be hard. In the past, I was accused by other homeschoolers in my town of making all homeschoolers look bad. They didn't know all that I was dealing with, and that my 2E kid was not allowed to attend the local PS. I know that the families that might look like they have the least right to homeschool, too often have the least other options.

Studies of homeschoolers who expect their children to self-teach do not show lower tests scores than children who are taught more by their parents. A parent who is shamed into teaching, when she doesn't have the resources to do more than facilitate will accomplish less than a parent who faces reality and accommodates her strengths and weaknesses.

Self-teaching curricula are essential options.

Are there cases of moms who could teach more than they do? Probably, but I don't think I have ever met them. I hear about them and that they exist, but they are no more real to me than the Sasquatch myths.

We started using ACE Paces for 3rd grade. It's not my favorite, but it is my daughters favorite. She likes that it's workbook based and pretty much hands-off for me. We started out the year using something else (that I loved) but didn't fit her learning style. She is very independent and likes the ACE approach. It is intended to be used by the child with no adult help but we don't use it that way. I help her as needed, and I do all the checking and correcting. It's also very easy for a child to figure out how to cheat. My daughter doesn't, but if it were my son he would have cheated from day 1. I know a lot of people don't ACE, but it's working for us.

We use CLE for math. It is also workbook based and after 1st grade the child can work independently.

I feel this way too, BUT... my daughter doesn't. We started out this year (my 5th yr homeschooling) using Trail Guide To Learning: Paths of Exploration. I LOVED it, my daughter did not. She is a workbook kind of kid and it really bothered her to have to sit at the table and listen to me teach/direct/read. Looking back at K, 1st and 2nd grade I should have realized that her learning style is totally different then my other kids. We switched to ACE workbooks and she is as happy as a clam. We do experiments and supplements together and our days are MUCH nicer together.

Galore Park Junior English and Junior Maths (book 1 is for ages 7-8) are open and go.  I suppose you could use them with the child working independently, but I never did.  I was right there and we talked through things a lot.  They also have Junior Science and Junior History programmes that I haven't used.

L

We are all about those 3 things at my house :). I hear you on planning ahead, I switched my now 2nd grader over into the curriculum streams we are now using at the end of first so we could just keep going with those programs as much as possible from start to finish.

LA/Writing: CLE LA (also includes copywork and spelling in 1st and 2nd). we also do CW see below

Spelling: for 3rd and up: Rod and Staff

Science: ACE (this is our second year and my oldest really enjoys her paces and tells me what she's learning all the time)

Reading: CLE for 1st and 2nd, then ACE CW/Lit (uses real books, incudes writing and thinking exercises) for 3rd-6th then back to CLE (at least that's the plan, we're in 5th)

Social Studies: ACE again here, we're Canadians and they have Canadian content PACES for parts of years (even a couple of full years, we're in one now). I really appreciate that. If in the US, their standard books are US focused.

Math: CLE!!!! Oh, how I wish this was our first math program, it would have saved me much time re teaching concepts (and saved my girls frustration too)!