Menu

Vocabulary failure

Unlike her older sibling, my dd9 simply does not naturally grasp the meaning of words simply by reading them in books or even hearing them in conversation.  When she encounters words in her reading that she is unsure of she simply glazes over them (she admitted this) and moves on rather than using context to try to figure out what they mean or asking someone (or heaven forbid, looking it up).

As a result her vocabulary is very poor;  I would think it is well below grade level. :(   

We were working on a lesson in MOSDOS Lit today and these were the vocabulary words:

composed

executive

financial

income

efficiently

vertical

transactions

contracts

competently

chute

Of these 10 words, she only knew the meaning of one of them.  :( 

Obviously, I need to rectify this and spend some time each day focussing specifically on vocabulary.  However, I need to do it in a way that will actually stick.  Ideas?

She does two reading programs- CLE reading 4 and we work through MOSDOS.  She reads a fair amount (not extensively like my oldest) and the books are fairly age appropriate- The Little House books. the Chronicles of Prydain, Narnia series.  

Ugh.  I feel like I've failed her. :(

Unlike her older sibling, my dd9 simply does not naturally grasp the meaning of words simply by reading them in books or even hearing them in conversation. When she encounters words in her reading that she is unsure of she simply glazes over them (she admitted this) and moves on rather than using context to try to figure out what they mean or asking someone (or heaven forbid, looking it up).

As a result her vocabulary is very poor; I would think it is well below grade level. :(

We were working on a lesson in MOSDOS Lit today and these were the vocabulary words:

composed

executive

financial

income

efficiently

vertical

transactions

contracts

competently

chute

Of these 10 words, she only knew the meaning of one of them. :(

Obviously, I need to rectify this and spend some time each day focussing specifically on vocabulary. However, I need to do it in a way that will actually stick. Ideas?

She does two reading programs- CLE reading 4 and we work through MOSDOS. She reads a fair amount (not extensively like my oldest) and the books are fairly age appropriate- The Little House books. the Chronicles of Prydain, Narnia series.

Ugh. I feel like I've failed her. :(

Did you expect her to know those words without studying them? Or did she study them and still could only define one?

If it was the first, I don't think it's reasonable to expect her to know all of them.

If it is the second, then you and she need to come up with a different way of studying.

Did you expect her to know those words without studying them? Or did she study them and still could only define one?

If it was the first, I don't think it's reasonable to expect her to know all of them.

If it is the second, then you and she need to come up with a different way of studying.

I agree. My 8yo is fairly well read and does often ask me or even look things up in the dictionary, but I doubt that he'd be able to explain what those words meant without having explicitly studying them beforehand,

Yikes, I'm not sure my kids would know the dictionary definition of most of those words. I'd get some hand jives for vertical from my older kids, but efficiently & competently would probably end up being the same meaning out of their mouths. 

Not sure most 9 year olds would look up words they don't know. My dd#1 loved using my (new) Kindle to read an e-book assignment for history last week because when she ran across a word she didn't know (of which there were several), she could just put her finger on it & the definition would come up. She admitted she looked up words that way that she normally would have just glossed over. 

So, I'm not sure I'd say you were a failure. Perhaps you just need to modify both your expectations and how you teach her. Have her underline words she doesn't know & you guys can look them up together, for example.

Hmmm. Maybe I jumped to conclusions. The lesson had the words on top and then 10 sentences and they were to use the appropriate word. Beside each blank was the definition of the word that was to be used.

Dd was completely dumbfounded by the assignment. She didn't even know where to start with it. We tried breaking down some of them (composed) and she finally took a good stab at what she thought it meant. But the rest... Oy.

I wasn't looking for dictionary definitions by any stretch but she couldn't begin to work with any of them. My oldest did this program too and the vocabulary part was never an issue. I know they are different kids- I guess I just sort of figured that these were words 4th graders should know.

She had been doing ok with the other vocabulary assignments in this program so I didn't think these words were much of a stretch. Maybe it was just shocking to me how she couldn't work with any of the words whereas in past lessons she knew most and could work through the rest of the sheet first and then work with the words left over.

Anyways, she did admit that when she reads she just glazes over words when she doesn't know their meaning. I'm not sure this method is going to help build vocabulary. I guess now she is getting exposure to these words but I'm not sure if it's going to stick or not. There's not really any review built into the program.

Just asked dd#2 and she could only give me the definition of two (or three) + the hand jive for vertical. Those are some tough words for a 9 yr old. 

My dd#1 (older than yours!) could do all but two with efficiently & competently being defined the same way ("doing something well").

We don't do a vocab program. 

Methinks if you want a different result, you'd need a different program. But, honestly, I don't think you have an issue.

Sagg has a great vocabulary. He will be 11 in 2 weeks. He could only define 4words, even though we have explicitly discussed all of them.

You have definitely not failed. I think you and your daughter deserve a little mercy here.

Just to be clear...  I didn't come down on her or even really mention it.  I worked through the sheet with her all the while cringing internally.  Maybe it was just a difficult chapter for her and the concept was a hard one?

I thought for sure she would know at least a few more... I know they have all come up in conversation before.  

I don't think it's at all unusual that a 9 year old doesn't know those words. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It's also not unusual to gloss over words you don't know. I did it as a child, and I grew up to have a huge vocabulary and to be a content editor for an academic publishing company. In fact, I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until I was an adult because when I was a kid I didn't know how to pronounce Avonlea. Instead of asking someone or looking it up, I just skipped the book!!

Ds 8yo knew 5. I was just rereading Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook last night. He says you need to understand about 90% of what is on a page to figure it out. Words you don't know require something like 12 encounters to increase comprehension.

Don't panic. Forge on! It sounds like this is the first time she has had this level of challenge with the words. Happens. I think Wordly Wise 3000 has some online games. That might be a fun way to focus on vocab and check out the program.

Anyways, she did admit that when she reads she just glazes over words when she doesn't know their meaning. I'm not sure this method is going to help build vocabulary. I guess now she is getting exposure to these words but I'm not sure if it's going to stick or not. There's not really any review built into the program.

Do you read aloud to her at all? That is supposed to be a very effective way to build vocabulary, especially if you use books with a rich vocabulary and slightly above the child's reading level. She won't be able to glaze over the word. She will hear it, properly pronounced, and will likely make inferences about meaning from the context. You can also stop once in awhile to check in on specific words and define it on the spot (easy if you have a kindle).

Unlike her older sibling, my dd9 simply does not naturally grasp the meaning of words simply by reading them in books or even hearing them in conversation.  When she encounters words in her reading that she is unsure of she simply glazes over them (she admitted this) and moves on rather than using context to try to figure out what they mean or asking someone (or heaven forbid, looking it up).

My dd13 is exactly the same way.  If she doesn't know a word, she just skips it.  Even though she's a good reader generally, she does not pick up new vocabulary from reading.  We have to work explicitly on vocabulary.  Through the years, we have used various vocab programs.  Find one that works for your dd.  

In case you are interested, we have used Super Duper Publications Core Curriculum Vocabulary Cards.  We have used Scholastic Vocabulary Cartoons.  We have used Garfield Vocabulary Escapades.  This year, we are using Abeka's Spelling and Vocab 7.  She does okay on tests.  I guess I'll find out at the end of the year when I CAT test her if any of it has stuck permanently.  Her vocab scores are generally the first or second month of current grade level, even though we test at the ninth or tenth month of grade level.  (like 5.1 even though we are testing at 5.9)  So several months behind where she should be.  I'm hoping Abeka, since it forces us to do more, will help with this.

Best of luck!

The 1879 McGuffey Readers have difficult vocab diacritically marked and defined. Have her read them before and after at first, then work with her on how to sound them out and figure them out from context and have her just read them after but go back if she did not figure them out from context. You can try them free online first to see how it will work for you, you need the PDF versions, they are free from Gutenberg Press.

Ds, 12 years old next week, didn't know "chute".  My kids are above average students and they would not have known more than a few of those words at age 9, so I don't think your child is a vocabulary failure.  None of my 3 will look up words they don't know unless I prompt them.  We've used Wordly Wise since age 8.  This year, we've added homemade flaschards from words in the book "100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know".  I expect we'll be doing some additional vocabulary (apart from just reading books) for the rest of their school years.                             

plain jane, I just wanted to second the recommendation above RE reading aloud -- perhaps reading aloud more than you are, if you do reading aloud now.  The 1000 Good Books and Ambleside Online lists are good for this -- pick, from a year matching her grade level or below it, books that are scheduled or are free/extra reads.  We have had great luck with audiobooks in the car, too.  

If you listen to a chapter from a "Good Book" over lunch most days (read it or do an audiobook), have another you do in the car a few times a week, and a third in the morning, afternoon, or before bed -- I think you would see great gains in vocabulary over the course of a year or so. 

The vocabulary programs mentioned above are also good additions, but a variety of excellent read-alouds will almost certainly yield much more benefit.  Not only will the vocabulary be addressed, but she'll accrue all sorts of advantages in terms of picking up on grammar, syntax, complex sentence structure and background knowledge. 

-- this is assuming that you have noticed the child's vocabulary is not rich.  I agree with the above that not knowing many of those particular words may not be a flag; but it sounds as though you already thought/suspected that her vocabulary is not a strong point right now. 

I was curious about my 9yo.  She's generally really good with words, but even she had a hard time with some of these.  Here are her answers-

(I gave a sentence for each)

composed- wrote something, create something

executive- an important person, in charge

financial- something with money

income- approved, enough

efficiently- good, timely, spot-on

vertical- straight 

transactions- give someone something (she's thinking of transactions at a cash register)

contracts- paper you sign that says you'd like to do something, you sign it and you can't quit

competently- well, good, amazing, didn't let anyone down

chute- a way of transporting, like the tubes at Costco, pushes or pulls something to a different place

Unlike her older sibling, my dd9 simply does not naturally grasp the meaning of words simply by reading them in books or even hearing them in conversation. When she encounters words in her reading that she is unsure of she simply glazes over them (she admitted this) and moves on rather than using context to try to figure out what they mean or asking someone (or heaven forbid, looking it up).

What about reading on an e-reader where she could tap an unknown word to get a definition?

Looking up words in a dictionary when in the middle of a book doesn't work (too hard to look up, dictionary not handy, forget to look up word afterwards, etc.) However, getting definitions in an e-reader is so quick and easy that it doesn't take you out of the moment or rely on other resources.

I was just reading something about vocabulary recently. The article said there is a reason that there is a vocabulary section on IQ tests. It said that some people automatically infer the definition of words when reading. The IQ test is trying to identify the people who do this NATUARALLY. The test is not trying to identify who was TAUGHT vocabulary. The testmakers really believe that we have limited ability to TEACH vocabulary to students.

Teaching vocabulary is a slow and difficult process. If a student does not have the natural ability to EASILY infer, while reading, their vocabulary will always lag behind a person who has this NATURAL ability. Yes, we can teach a student to infer, and hold it out there as a goal, and pressure them to use this skill, but honestly it's not practical to expect them to use it all the time. Yes, maybe on a test, for a few minutes, but not hour after hour of reading literature.

You have not failed. Your daughter is not doing anything "wrong". Those people that naturally infer are not working any harder than she is. They just do it like all of us just breathe.

There are all sorts of vocabulary programs, that try and get all students up to the level of the natural inferers. You need to decide if those programs are worth the time and money to implement, or if your resources would be better directed elsewhere. I don't have the answer for you, other than to say again, that you did NOT fail! She is a very normal and precious little girl that is being held to a standard that is considered something that only a small percentage of the population can do naturally.

Hmmm. Maybe I jumped to conclusions. The lesson had the words on top and then 10 sentences and they were to use the appropriate word. Beside each blank was the definition of the word that was to be used.

Dd was completely dumbfounded by the assignment. She didn't even know where to start with it. We tried breaking down some of them (composed) and she finally took a good stab at what she thought it meant. But the rest... Oy.

I wasn't looking for dictionary definitions by any stretch but she couldn't begin to work with any of them. My oldest did this program too and the vocabulary part was never an issue. I know they are different kids- I guess I just sort of figured that these were words 4th graders should know.

She had been doing ok with the other vocabulary assignments in this program so I didn't think these words were much of a stretch. Maybe it was just shocking to me how she couldn't work with any of the words whereas in past lessons she knew most and could work through the rest of the sheet first and then work with the words left over.

It seems like the curriculum is not teaching your dd effectively.  Particularly when my kids were younger, I was reluctant to give them assignments that made them guess at most of the answers.  I wanted them to build on what they knew, practice, and get it right when they were working on their own.

Like you, my older dc could easily figure out definition through context.  My younger dc could not. We began specifically working in vocabulary building, but it took about three years before I saw a true improvement.  It was a real challenge for me, as I hadn't had to consider it before.  We used a variety of methods, as I tried to find a balance between keeping it interesting for and being effective.  We would often do the vocabulary lesson in Shurley (which I'd skipped with my older dc), we would discuss definitions with spelling words, building on those through repetition during the week in a variety of ways (a few ways each week):  writing, discussing, having me give the definition with him writing the correct word, alphabetizing, writing the definition from the dictionary, etc.  When encountering a word he may not know during read alouds, I would usually stop, restate the word with a synonym, and sometimes discuss briefly. If he'd studied a word and we heard it within the next few months, I'd try to point it out.  We played Rummy Roots to learn Latin roots.  You could add in matching games, cut up pieces of paper to have her match words and definitions, etc.

All of that work eventually paid off.  He's 15 now, and his school reading of choice this semester is Shakespeare. He prefers late 19th century fiction.  Last week, he was assigned to read Seamus Heaney's version of Beowulf and spent 5+ minutes telling me the story.  Vocabulary is no longer a challenge.  :)

My daughter did not naturally infer vocab from context until using the McGuffeys showed her how. That is why I like them, it builds up vocab while teaching how to infer from context. Her vocab scores went up 3 grade levels in a year after working through 1 and 1/4 McGuffey reader in a year. We have dropped them now that she can learn vocab from context.

It seems like the curriculum is not teaching your dd effectively. Particularly when my kids were younger, I was reluctant to give them assignments that made them guess at most of the answers. I wanted them to build on what they knew, practice, and get it right when they were working on their own.

Like you, my older dc could easily figure out definition through context. My younger dc could not. We began specifically working in vocabulary building, but it took about three years before I saw a true improvement. It was a real challenge for me, as I hadn't had to consider it before. We used a variety of methods, as I tried to find a balance between keeping it interesting for and being effective. We would often do the vocabulary lesson in Shurley (which I'd skipped with my older dc), we would discuss definitions with spelling words, building on those through repetition during the week in a variety of ways (a few ways each week): writing, discussing, having me give the definition with him writing the correct word, alphabetizing, writing the definition from the dictionary, etc. When encountering a word he may not know during read alouds, I would usually stop, restate the word with a synonym, and sometimes discuss briefly. If he'd studied a word and we heard it within the next few months, I'd try to point it out. We played Rummy Roots to learn Latin roots. You could add in matching games, cut up pieces of paper to have her match words and definitions, etc.

All of that work eventually paid off. He's 15 now, and his school reading of choice this semester is Shakespeare. He prefers late 19th century fiction. Last week, he was assigned to read Seamus Heaney's version of Beowulf and spent 5+ minutes telling me the story. Vocabulary is no longer a challenge. :)

Love your story! My oldest dd is a natural at learning vocab through reading, but my second dd isn't at all. My third dd, while 2 years younger, was easily catching up with her in vocabulary. I have been working very hard with her for the past six months, but it's slow going. Reading your story is very inspiring!

I was just reading something about vocabulary recently. The article said there is a reason that there is a vocabulary section on IQ tests. It said that some people automatically infer the definition of words when reading. The IQ test is trying to identify the people who do this NATUARALLY. The test is not trying to identify who was TAUGHT vocabulary. The testmakers really believe that we have limited ability to TEACH vocabulary to students.

Teaching vocabulary is a slow and difficult process. If a student does not have the natural ability to EASILY infer, while reading, their vocabulary will always lag behind a person who has this NATURAL ability. Yes, we can teach a student to infer, and hold it out there as a goal, and pressure them to use this skill, but honestly it's not practical to expect them to use it all the time. Yes, maybe on a test, for a few minutes, but not hour after hour of reading literature.

You have not failed. Your daughter is not doing anything "wrong". Those people that naturally infer are not working any harder than she is. They just do it like all of us just breathe.

There are all sorts of vocabulary programs, that try and get all students up to the level of the natural inferers. You need to decide if those programs are worth the time and money to implement, or if your resources would be better directed elsewhere. I don't have the answer for you, other than to say again, that you did NOT fail! She is a very normal and precious little girl that is being held to a standard that is considered something that only a small percentage of the population can do naturally.

Very interesting, Hunter! Do you have a link to that article? I would love to read some more about it.

Very interesting, Hunter! Do you have a link to that article? I would love to read some more about it.

Sorry, I skim so many things, and then quickly move on. I know one of the articles I read was by the writer of the Core Knowledge series, E.D. Hirsch.

I read and read and read, and don't immediately link together all the information. Then someone here will ask a question, and suddenly all the disjointed tidbits will all come together in my brain.

Sorry, I skim so many things, and then quickly move on. I know one of the articles I read was by the writer of the Core Knowledge series, E.D. Hirsch.

I read and read and read, and don't immediately link together all the information. Then someone here will ask a question, and suddenly all the disjointed tidbits will all come together in my brain.

That's okay, Hunter. I'll try to find it and even if I can't I'll have something to think about.

I was reading an article at the website of the author of The Dictation Resource Book, or what ever it's called. My brain is just not working right today. But she said that just because a test has a few questions on the hardest topics, doesn't mean a mom/teacher should plan the year's curriculum on those few hard questions, instead of focusing on the bulk of the questions that focus on the developmentally appropriate topics.

The hard questions are meant to separate the statistically insignificant gifted students from the bulk of the bell curve. But over and over we try to teach to what is getting separated out. The statistically insignificant becomes the new norm. I'm only finding bits and pieces here and there that talk about this topic, but there seem to be some people talking about it.

If we have a statistically insignificant student, then we hope for their testing to reflect that, and would want to provide curricula that would assist them to score highly. But if our student is normal, I think it's more humane and efficient to focus on topics that are developmentally appropriate to the norm and bulk of students.

Some of my students like Hemingway because he used a smaller vocabulary and shorter sentences. Using a smaller vocabulary is not the end of the world. Hemingway did just fine. Using a large vocabulary is a SIGN of intelligence, and intelligent people naturally accumulate words as easily as breathing. But that doesn't mean we can make all students smarter with extensive vocabulary instruction.

I don't have to extoll the benefits of having a large vocabulary here. We all know it's helpful to have one. But it's not the end of the world when some of our students are not performing as a statistically insignificant minority.

I don't believe in curricula designed to make normal students masquerade as being gifted. I don't believe being able to test higher makes a student smarter or more productive.

Guest English_Fan

Hello everyone,

I think games / quizzes will always be a viable option in this case.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a native English speaker)

Since yesterday I've had some fun with two free Android apps which are really helping me shake the rust off my vocabulary, as well as my spelling.

As hyperlinks here would probably be seen as spam, I can only add that if you're interested to try them out, then go to Google Play Store and look for:  Spelling Coach   and  BronThesaurus.   The names should be self-explanatory  :laugh:

Good luck !