Menu

Pre-Thanksgiving food

Night Elf

What do you set out for people to snack on while lunch/dinner is being prepared? My mom wants olives and sweet pickles out, but I feel the table would look better if I had a couple of things more. We will probably eat an hour after everyone is here, so we don't need a lot really. I guess I just want the table to look nice.

Okay, I'll get some fancy crackers and cheddar cheese. I like the idea of the fruit as well. I was also thinking of sugar coated pecans to keep out after dinner. I can put those on the table beforehand. We're all adults. I'll trust they can monitor their food so they don't fill up before the actual meal. :)

Man!  I just started a similar thread.  Shoot.

Well, it's not exactly the same, so hopefully people don't think it is and not respond to mine. :-)

In response to your question:

Crudite and dip, usually a bacon/blue cheese type and the spinach dip from the back of the Knorr veggie soup packet

Sausage balls or sausage stars

Cheese and crackers

I am making bite sized cheese balls. All have cream cheese as a base. 4 oz. cc, 4 oz other cheese, a dash of worcestershire, a grind of black pepper and maybe some finely minced green onion. chill and roll into 3/4" balls. 

Feta rolled in parsley, served with cuke slices and kalamatas.

Gorgonzola/bleu rolled in chopped bacon, served with apple slices.

Goat rolled in chopped pecans, served with dried apricots.

This is from Southern Living in 2008. Dh and I like tohave some lower carb appetizers and my kids love cheese. 

I put our pre-dinner goodies on the coffee table, not the main table. Could you do that? Then you wouldn't need as much to make it look like a lot, and make it look festive. (I think just a little doesn't look festive, iykwim.)

Oh, and we also put out whole, mixed nuts with several "crackers" and bowls for shells. It's fun, and people have something to do. 

this is the third year in a row I'm not doing thanksgiving.  truly something to be grateful for.

in years past we had lots of hors devourers as the group was very large.

a relish tray with carrots, celery, olives, pickles, etc.

smoked salmon with slices of French bread

brie with French bread or crackers

other cheeses

and whatever else someone felt like brining

Nice crackers and artichoke dip. Brie Squares (take phyllo dough, cut into squares, put a little brie into square, top with favorite jam or jelly, fold dough over and bake until golden brown.)

Someone I know had a lot of those brie squares and then could not gag down a bite of turkey one Thanksgiving.