Menu

An Unusual Hobby for you- the parent

I really like coloring.  I have friends who love coloring!  I'm on leadership for a mom's group and we've started putting coloring pages in our newsletter for a little extra fun. 

I color almost every night with my kids and it's got my 4 year old into coloring for the first time ever and it's helping improve his grip and handwriting. 

Enjoy your hobby!!

One of my very favorite dates with DH was one where I was feeling sick and couldn't go out so he went to the store and bought a coloring book and some crayons and we spent the evening coloring.  I think if you find something you enjoy then that is great.  Coloring can be quite relaxing.

I am writing a middle-grade novel right now.

Of course, all middle-grade novels are written by adults, but I can't help but feel a little embarrassed/dorky when I talk about it to other adults. I mean, if I were published or something I'd probably be proud of it, but since I'm a nobody, it feels kind of dorky. But I love it. :D

Have you tried the stained glass books like from Dover? I love those.

I understand what you are saying about liking a relaxing craft that isn't too demanding. I enjoy making beaded necklaces in part because there is no real need to concentrate. If I don't like how it turns out I dump it off the string and try again. It is a slightly more complicated version of a craft a four year old could do and sometimes that's exactly what I need at 9 pm. in front of Neflix.

Coloring!  Love it.  That's what I do in those short moments while I'm waiting for the kids to finish up their work - on the rare occasions that they are both employed in independent work at the same time!  But I don't have any talent or any special pencils - sometimes the kids have to take *their* pencils away from me! :001_smile:  "Moooommmm, I need the colored pencils!!!"

Oh, and someone mentioned dot-to-dots - those are fun!  I bought a book for my dh's birthday this year...some of those pictures have over 1000 dots!  Pretty cool.

Have you tried coloring mandala designs?  You can get books of mandala mazes that are totally fun to color!  You could pick one design and color it about a hundred different ways, and they'd all look awesome.

What?  Why?  It would be awesome to be able to spin.

If I were among fiber folks, it wouldn't be such a thing, but among the lay public, even admitting that I knit makes me feel like a "fringe" weirdo, imagine if anyone knew about the fleeces in my garage and the $80+/pound hand-dyed merino in my drawers?

I have yearned for a hobby for years, Seriously.  I read a ton, and thoroughly enjoy it, but I'd really love a crafty sort of hobby...but seem to have no real interest in any of them.  I am never going to be a fiber arts kinda gal, no needles...bug or otherwise...for me.  I am not in the least artistic.  I like to write, but am not all that great at it and most definitely do not have the desire to write fiction or poetry.  I thought I might like to learn the harp, as I do enjoy music, but found I just couldn't make time to practice enough to get good at it.  I am not athletic and don't care much for sports.  

I finally gave up.  I fear I will never have something to occupy me in my old age!  Hahaha!

The one thing I do enjoy, and I guess you could cal it a hobby of sorts, is I dearly love singing.  I sing in our church ladies choir, and recently joined our local Sweet Adelines group.  Want to talk about being viewed as a nerd?  Try singing women's barbershop music! Haha!  I don't care, I love it SO SO much!

However, I never gave coloring a thought.  Maybe I could try that!  Off to look for cool coloring books :-)

My hobby is keeping bees. When I describe the experience of standing in the middle of teeming numbers of whirling, flying, buzzing stinging bugs as "almost like being in an aquarium and very peaceful" most people look at me as if I've really lost it this time. No one seems to think of it as something anyone would want to do for purposes of relaxation. Getting honey, making money-yes. To relax-no.

They just don't know. So color your heart out, and just give the scoffers a smile of deepest pity that they can't enjoy it.

My hobby is keeping bees. When I describe the experience of standing in the middle of teeming numbers of whirling, flying, buzzing stinging bugs as "almost like being in an aquarium and very peaceful" most people look at me as if I've really lost it this time. No one seems to think of it as something anyone would want to do for purposes of relaxation. Getting honey, making money-yes. To relax-no.

They just don't know. So color your heart out, and just give the scoffers a smile of deepest pity that they can't enjoy it.

Dh and I have always wanted to keep bees but we live in a city so I don't think it's possible at the moment. 

I've thought about getting a nice adult coloring book.  I love art of all kinds (painting, weaving, pottery, drawing, papermache) and simply do not have enough time or space for all I want to do.

Hmph, I would pay no attention to them, and would not have them in my close circle.

I love to crochet. I am totally addicted to it. My sister says its an old lady hobby. Who cares? She sure wants some things I crochet and she was thrilled with the blanket I made for her grand baby.

People can be mean cause they are jealous.

That is my opinion.

Do what makes you happy.

I also knit hats. I knit one for my teen dd who has come to realize that my knitting is 'cool, in a old lady kind of way...not that youre an old lady mom, but you know what I mean'

and I would love to learn to spin. or weave. or keep bees. you ladies are so so cool!

and if only I could sing, but I cant carry a tune in a bucket :::jealous:::

...imagine if anyone knew about the fleeces in my garage and the $80+/pound hand-dyed merino in my drawers?

You spin, dye, and handknit your long johns? Yeah, that is a little fringe. Just kidding...I couldn't resist playing on the word drawers. I also wouldn't find it all that odd if you did--more like resourceful!

I knit, and I would like to learn to spin someday. I've seen advertisements for "sheep to shawl" competitions and thought it sounded like something right up my alley. So many possibilities, so little time.

OP, my mother and my husband both love to color for relaxation, though my mother doesn't like to color alone, lol.