Menu

preventing chapped cheeks?

MAIMOM

How can I prevent chapped cheeks on myself and DD, especially at temps or -20 and below? The temp here dropped drastically the last few days. My DD cheeks are red and dry....I thought of Chapstick but that seemed to sting.

On. plus side we are having a heat wave today.....it is 12 degrees, that is up 45 degrees from yesterday...Whoo hoo. My dog even decided its warm enough to do her business in the yard...LOL

I don't live where it's that cold, so I'm not sure this will work .. but during winter sports season I use a sparse amount of coconut oil on my face to hold in my natural moisture and act as a barrier to the winds.  It doesn't break me out, but it might break out some people's faces.  An alternative might be petroleum jelly - I know it's designed to also hold in moisture and act as a barrier.

I was just complaining to myself that we dropped into the 40s. I'm going to shut up now that I read about your heat wave. LOL

I like Aquaphor.  I think it works better than chapstick and it doesn't sting. 

12 degrees is a heatwave?  LOL  Not on my planet!  Although it does get very cold here too sometimes.

I use Aquaphor too for that, but 12 degrees is extreme cold to me! 

I bought some vegetable glycerine on amazon for a reason that escaped me by the time it arrived and got unpacked, but I read to mix it with water and it makes a great moisturizer. It really does! My DH and oldest DD's hands crack and bleed as soon as the humidity drops here, and it has kept his from doing that. I've used it on my face at night and it feels great. It's a little sticky as it's absorbing. I think I was going to make a homemade serum with vitamin C and such...

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check into all of them probably. We are told the temps will continue to drop to -50 so I am sure I will have plenty of chances to see what works best for us. She was using coconut oil at night but I wondered if there was something to help when she goes outside to the bus. We put camphonique (that is not spelled correctly but I cannot figure out the spelling,our bottle is all oily) on her cheeks to help them heal...that stings but at this point I think anything will until her cheeks heal a bit.

I like Aquaphor for heavy-need situations.

Ordinarily I use Eucarin for my dry skin in our dry climate, but I have found a new favorite face moisturizer:  shea butter.  I use this one.  It "stays on" longer than the Eucarin.  (This one is cheaper at Target than at amazon.  There are all sorts of brands.)

It's not that cold here, though it was in the 20's this morning. I get something like eczema around my mouth and eyes. I've been using Eucerin cream for moisturizing and then Vaseline petroleum jelly on top as a barrier. Not sure if that's "heavy" enough for super cold, but it's been helping me.

When we first moved to South Dakota from Hawaii, my daughter's skin had a hard time adjusting to the dry cold.  I kept a tub of vaseline in the car, and smeared a thin layer on her cheeks before she headed to school in the morning.  It made all the difference.  I had sort of forgotten about that - I guess we have adjusted to the cold!  (luckily it's not -50 here!)  

Okay, I know it is probably not polite forum manners to ask, but I cannot help myself.

Where in the world do you live that it is -50 in November?!

I was just bemoaning the fact that we are having our first touch of sleet here. It is 29 degrees and the sun has just about set. I can't really fathom -50. Best wishes to you on your quest to protect your family's skin, though!

I recommend Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream.  This stuff is a miracle worker for all sorts of dry skin conditions!  I regularly use it as a lip balm and as a dry skin treatment.  We have used it to successfully treat severely chapped lips, eczema, and other dry skin conditions that didn't respond to anything else.  We see an improvement after the first application.   It comes in tiny tins, but you only need to use a tiny bit.  It soaks in and is not at all greasy.

There is this AMAZING product that they sell here in Colorado at the ski resorts.  It is really expensive to buy (unless you get it from Amazon)  the amount from Amazon is about three years worth for my family of six.  It heals and protects the skin.  I use it for lip, fingers and face.  Great stuff  Read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Melem-Skin-Lip-Balm-Large/dp/B00BFZZ8XI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385175303&sr=8-2&keywords=melem

There is this AMAZING product that they sell here in Colorado at the ski resorts.  It is really expensive to buy (unless you get it from Amazon)  the amount from Amazon is about three years worth for my family of six.  It heals and protects the skin.  I use it for lip, fingers and face.  Great stuff  Read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Melem-Skin-Lip-Balm-Large/dp/B00BFZZ8XI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385175303&sr=8-2&keywords=melem

Oh that looks really good, my boys might prefer that to plain lanolin...hmm.

When we lived in cold weather our pediatrician recommended Crisco.

It seems you have two problems: preventing chapped cheeks, so a physical barrier (your petroleum-based creams and my doc's Crisco), and healing chapped cheeks (nourishing lotions like lanolin, coconut oil).