Menu

Please help with a Bible Curriculum

Blessed with seven

Hi, I am wanting a curriculum for K-7th grade.  I am tired of "Bible" being the thing we do NOT do because I don't have a good plan for it.  Just want the kids to know the word, learn memory verses etc....  I am so scattererd right now.  We are reformed in views but just want one that will really teach the Word that won't be a challenge to teach, easy for mom ;)

Thanks!

Kim

While I am not of the Reformed faith, I know others who are and are still happy with Rod and Staff. When we used it, all I saw was Bible. I hear when you get to the upper levels the Anabaptist theology starts shining, but I have never seen those levels. Anyway, their Bible starts at 5th grade (unless you use their reading curriculum for 1-4 which is basically Bible). Maybe you could start with the 5th grade book and do it as a group and let the youngers get what they can. That is what we did. Great samples here.

Bible study Guide for all ages at http://www.biblestudyguide.com/

There are others I've seen people refer to that i don't recall at the moment but I'm sure if you do a search you can find them.

Or no curriculum and just read the Bible. I don't do well without a plan either but I find what helps me is picking a topic or character trait of the month and looking up versus that pertain to that. You or your kids can look them up and then just read and discuss a verse a day or something like that. Just a thought.

This is something that I struggle with as well.  We do lots of straight Bible reading and memorization, and my husband and I take time to explain, but I think it's nice to have a structured study for school.  Also, I like something that I can do with all of the kids, (ages 8-15) and that can be hard to find.  I'm reformed btw.

Some things we've used:

Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade based on the Westminster shorter catechism

Apologia's Who Is God? series

Simply Charlotte Mason Life in the Word 

Children Desiring God has some great resources, including a study of the Ten Commandments and a study on the names of God, by Sally Michaels.

Summit Ministries is also a good resource.

We also have the video series by Ray VanderLaan about faith lessons from the Holy Land.  

We liked Positive Action for Kids' 4th grade book. I would've used Route 66 from them for 7th grade had I decided to homeschool dd then. 

I also enjoyed the idea of Bible by unit study--learning about the surrounding culture when you are learning about a passage of scripture, such as studying the Samaritans when you look at the woman at the well story, or the Good Samaritan. You pull in foods, rituals, geography, etc. Makes the Word come more alive. 

We started using this:  http://foundationspress.com/our-homeschool-curriculum/foundations-bible-foundations/

It is no frills and so easy to use.  The outline is right there for me.  We read our verses each day, discuss, done.  There are coloring pages on another site, but we haven't used these so far.  Memory verses are included and it also suggests bible drills, which all the kids enjoy, and has even been good for me!  

I've struggled with a Bible curriculum since the start.  I recently found the Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Bible Studies For Kids series.  The books are written by Kay Arthur.  My kids are currently working on the "Boy, Have I Got Problems!" book that studies the book of James.  Looking at the description of the books, it says it's for 8 and up.     

I've struggled with a Bible curriculum since the start. I recently found the Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Bible Studies For Kids series. The books are written by Kay Arthur. My kids are currently working on the "Boy, Have I Got Problems!" book that studies the book of James. Looking at the description of the books, it says it's for 8 and up.

We tried one of these at the start of the year. at the time I would have said it was too old for my daughter, but now that she's had several months of TNT at Awanas I'd say she's ready to tackle it on her own. I actually plan to do that starting in January. aside from this we pick passages in the Bible to read and memorize. one or two chapters from a book. spend several weeks on it discussing it and memorizing. I have been amazed how many conversations these passages have led to after church. "Mom, pastor T said _, and that's just what ( insert Bible passage here) said to. Now I understand..."

Classical Academic Press has one that looks easy to teach. Not much redemptive historical in it - you'll have to put in Jesus in the OT yourself - but a good, basic Bible curriculum.

I recently read through this carefully considering it for use on our church, but I haven't taught it.

If you have a Bible Study Fellowship in your area I would recommend that.  There is a program for the children as well.  

It is an interdenominational program and its focus is on what the Bible teaches and what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you.

The children's program includes a memory verse each week. 

There is a family discussion sheet provided each week with additional questions so that everyone can discuss what they are learning.

Hi, I am wanting a curriculum for K-7th grade. I am tired of "Bible" being the thing we do NOT do because I don't have a good plan for it. Just want the kids to know the word, learn memory verses etc.... I am so scattererd right now. We are reformed in views but just want one that will really teach the Word that won't be a challenge to teach, easy for mom ;)

Thanks!

Kim

Covenant Home Curriculum, Christian Liberty Press, and Veritas Press are all reformed in view. You might enjoy one of their Bible programs. CLP is workbook style, CHC more Bible study style/old fashioned Sunday school style, while VP is the most classical ed style of the three. VP's also stands out because the children memorize 36 bible events/stories and their references a year for 5 years in a row. It comes with a memory song, beautiful art cards with a summary/references to investigate, and a teacher's guide with review and projects.

Classical Academic Press a pp mentioned is another very solid choice you might enjoy.

ScoutTN said:

Classical Academic Press has one that looks easy to teach. Not much redemptive historical in it - you'll have to put in Jesus in the OT yourself - but a good, basic Bible curriculum.

If you're talking about God's Great Covenant, it absolutely has Jesus in the Old Testament books. Every chapter (that I remember, at least) has a box with "Jesus in the OT," tying in to that week's lesson, in fact.

And whatever curriculum you use, remember you can work on memorizing the catechism, as well, whether that's children's for the young-un's or Shorter for the older. (Just in case it somehow slipped your mind...)

I do think the CAP material is light on redemptive historical understanding and the fact that "Jesus in the OT" is in a sidebar instead of incorporated into the primary lesson is exactly my point.

I didn't say that the curriculum lacks this altogether, rather that it is weak in this area compared to many reformed materials. I think it is a solid, basic curriculum. 

Has anyone used A Bible Survey by Gene Taylor? It's a free pdf curriculum.

http://www.centervilleroad.com/abc-curriculum.html

It's meant to be a 3 year 52 week curriculum, but looks like it can be converted to a 4 year 39 week curriculum. I'm always looking for curricula that can be taught with me just reading from my iPad Mini and drawing/writing on paper/board, and the student not requiring their own student materials.

We mainly read and reread Vos' Child's Story Bible, and I usually choose someone to narrate. For our younger dc, we love Susan Hunt's books, especially ABC Bible Verses and Big Truths for Little Kids. And for middle elementary and up, Starr Meade's books are great, especially Training Hearts, Teaching Minds. When they hit 6th grade, I hand them The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, and they spend a few years working through that independently.

For Bible memory, we memorize entire passages such as I Cor. 13, the Beatitudes, Ps. 91 and 139, etc. We simply choose one passage and repeat the whole thing together a few times every day. By the end of a few months, they have it down pat. We remember to review passages already memorized, but I have no set system. A chapter in Beechick's Language Wars inspired us to memorize whole passages and explained the method when my older dc were very young. I can't even tell you how tremendously God has used this. All my six grown dc have gone on to memorize whole books of the Bible on their own. One of them helped younger siblings do it with him.

Grapevine/Stick Figuring. Straight Bible stories. Has suggested memory verses. 10-15 minutes per day, unless you choose to do more. I use the traceables for my youngers. Now would be a perfect time of year to try it by doing their Birth of Jesus study. You'd only need the Multilevel book- teacher and student. We're doing the individual lessons first, then we'll cover the timeline as review closer to Christmas.

Hunter, Grapevine sells printed materials also. ETA: I see now that I misunderstood your question!