Menu

Ear pain when flying-help!

happyWImom

I need a miracle cure, fast!  My dd suffers from horrible pain when flying.  It was so bad, that after the flight to Florida, she flat out refused to fly home.  I thought we were going to have to take Greyhound!!!  Long story short, I practically drugged her.  Gave her drammamine and then Motrin P.M.  On the way there, we tried earplanes, chewing gum, drinking, etc...  Nothing worked.  I just cannot risk it again without knowing there is a sure fire device or something that will help.

My parents are willing to pay for the trip & I will be so bummed if we can't go! :(   Help!

I used Afrin nasal spray and the old sudafed in my traveling days. Have you checked with her doctor? I'm sure something will work. Good luck!

He said the only thing was to give her ibuprofen or something for the pain.  Then, this was his other suggestion:  "Can you drive or take Amtrak?"   :confused1:  I don't think so!!!

I have to take four Advil before flying or I am a crying mess due to the pain. The Advil is what my doctor told me take and the first time he advised doing so I was around 15 years old. Good luck! We avoid flying as much as we can because it is so uncomfortable.

We just got back from an international flight with my oldest sobbing because of ear pain (a result of swimmer's ear gone bad). I can't imagine intentionally flying knowing that that amount of pain would be coming. Your poor DD!

Do you know why she experienced the pain so severely last time? Was she sick? Allergies? Swimming? I'd take her to your doctor again to see if they have any suggestions about solving the root problem.

My husband has horrible pain - Ear Planes work for him. Its like a rubberized gasket you put in your ears. it really works!!  My sister had found them first, and swore by them.

this is the adult size on amazon.  I've found them locally in the drug store, and also at an airport shop.  They also have a childrens size, apparently.  The negative reviews of the kids version seem to be about the fact that you cant get a 2 yo to leave them in lol

http://www.amazon.com/Earplanes-Pain-Reliever-Earplugs-Adult/dp/B001HTWL8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384999882&sr=1-1

oh . . . you said earplanes didnt work?  are you sure they were in right?

I get horrible ear pain in my right ear when I fly (during the descent).  I went to an ENT doctor to figure out how to deal with it.  He said that the key is to open up my nasal passages as much as possible.  He has me take 60 mg of Sudafed 1-2 hours before my flight.  In addition, he told me to do two sprays of Afrin in each nostril 1 hour before take-off and 1 hour before landing.   Finally, I also use Earplanes.

I'm not sure what the dosage of these things would be for a child, but that is my regimen. 

My husband has horrible pain - Ear Planes work for him. Its like a rubberized gasket you put in your ears. it really works!!  My sister had found them first, and swore by them.

this is the adult size on amazon.  I've found them locally in the drug store, and also at an airport shop.  They also have a childrens size, apparently.  The negative reviews of the kids version seem to be about the fact that you cant get a 2 yo to leave them in lol

http://www.amazon.com/Earplanes-Pain-Reliever-Earplugs-Adult/dp/B001HTWL8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384999882&sr=1-1

We use Ear Planes too.

Hope you find something that works.

I get horrible ear pain in my right ear when I fly (during the descent).  I went to an ENT doctor to figure out how to deal with it.  He said that the key is to open up my nasal passages as much as possible.  He has me take 60 mg of Sudafed 1-2 hours before my flight.  In addition, he told me to do two sprays of Afrin in each nostril 1 hour before take-off and 1 hour before landing.   Finally, I also use Earplanes.

I'm not sure what the dosage of these things would be for a child, but that is my regimen. 

I spent a lot of time on airplanes for work, and I was told the same as edelweiss.

Years ago the crew used to put hot towels into Styrofoam cups, to be placed over the ears.  They don't really do that anymore, but the steam did help me.  Nowadays, I bring a few small hankies. During the beverage service I ask for a few extra Styrofoam cups. When I feel the beginning of descent I ask for a cup of hot water, which I pour into my plastic water bottle (drink it during the flight, keep the bottle for landing). I know it's bad; the plastic starts to melt. Some flight attendants will fill your bottle directly, some will hand you a cup for you to fill the bottle yourself - do so carefully!

I stuff one hanky per cup, pour just enough hot water to dampen the hanky, and place the cups over my ears.  I let the steam activate and I gently pull down on my ear to open up the canal. It's a more gently pop than holding the nose and blowing (which I was told could be damaging).

It sounds silly, but the process actually helps occupy my mind and keeps focus off of the pain. I use a water bottle because I always have one handy; a small thermos might work. It also lets me keep it in the seatback pocket for easy access should I need it again. I can re-fill without use of a tray table or open cup, both of which the crew restricts use of during landing.

I hope you get to go!

I get severe ear pain whenever I have a mild sinus infection.  I agree with the "real" sudafed and I also use campho-phenique http://www.campho.com/pain_liquid.html

I either use a q-tip or buy a little eye dropper.  It is amazing at relieving the pain.  They gave my child some prescription for ear pain once and I tried it instead and this is so much better.  (plus you can use it for other things as well)  It is available almost anywhere-- Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens.....

We tried these but they didn't work!  I suppose it's possible I didn't have them in correctly, but.....

Oh, I am so sorry. I wish I had advice, but I do sympathize with her. The pain was so bad last time that I was sobbing. Poor girl. I hope someone's suggestions work and you are able to go.

I knew it was bad, but hearing your experience makes me really not want to even risk it!

We just got back from an international flight with my oldest sobbing because of ear pain (a result of swimmer's ear gone bad). I can't imagine intentionally flying knowing that that amount of pain would be coming. Your poor DD!

Do you know why she experienced the pain so severely last time? Was she sick? Allergies? Swimming? I'd take her to your doctor again to see if they have any suggestions about solving the root problem.

I'm not sure why it was so bad; she didn't have a cold or anything!  I'm thinking maybe the ENT doctor might have some ideas, otherwise I'm going to just forget the whole thing.  I can't risk something that "might" work.

I have to take four Advil before flying or I am a crying mess due to the pain. The Advil is what my doctor told me take and the first time he advised doing so I was around 15 years old. Good luck! We avoid flying as much as we can because it is so uncomfortable.

So taking the Advil totally helps, or just makes it bearable?  She's obviously very anxious about it (and she's an anxious child anyway) and wants guarantees.

Have you seen or tried these:  http://www.target.com/p/earplanes-pressure-regulating-earplugs/-/A-11037728?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|11037728&CPNG=Health+Beauty&kpid=11037728&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=11037728&gclid=CNOx7JH1-boCFcY1Qgod9wsA2g

I've never used them because my kids have never really had a problem. But, I know people who have and they have been pleased.

EDIT: Just saw that someone else suggested this and it didn't work. Sorry. Hope you find something.

Another vote for Sudafed (real stuff, behind the pharmacists counter), Afrin, and Benadryl. I always have pains/clogged ears after long cross-country flights. I use all three unless I'm pregnant :)

Is your flight at especially high altitudes? My pains are always worse on the cross-country flights because of the altitude. Could you break the flight into smaller/lower altitude segments?

Here's a nice list of maneuvers for clearing ears: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_clearing

Another vote for Sudafed (real stuff, behind the pharmacists counter), Afrin, and Benadryl. I always have pains/clogged ears after long cross-country flights. I use all three unless I'm pregnant :)

Is your flight at especially high altitudes? My pains are always worse on the cross-country flights because of the altitude. Could you break the flight into smaller/lower altitude segments?

Here's a nice list of maneuvers for clearing ears: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_clearing

I don't know the altitude info.-we're going from Milwaukee to Ft Meyers, FL.  

How do you get the behind the counter Sudafed??

I agree with real psudophedrine, just ask the pharmacist.

Could she possibly have had a cavity/bad tooth?