Menu

Dress shirts for men

ChrisB

I'm looking for a brand recommendation for dress shirts for men.  The last brand we bought was Geoffrey Beene.  Although I thought it has been a good brand before, these last few shirts are really pilling up.  Can't stand the pills!  DH wears dress shirts every day to work so they need to look professional.  Can you help a girl out?  What brands are your favorite?  Thanks!!

DH has been wearing Stafford shirts for years - mostly from JC Penneys, but you can get them other places.  But now I have to be very picky because many of their shirts now come without pockets.  I hadn't realize pockets were a requirement on DH's work shirts until I bought this last batch that were pocket-less.  Without a pocket, he has no place to carry his access card and was very unhappy.  The things you learn after 20+ years of marriage.

The Stafford shirts come in no-iron and wear very well.

DH likes Lands End because their fit works well for him. Plus, he absolutely hates shopping and will do almost anything to avoid it so getting stuff delivered is a huge bonus. But, I sort of think of LE as the Ikea of clothes. You get what you pay for. We used to have no choice but get their most inexpensive clothes and then only on sale. Now he still waits for sales but get their nicer stuff. He likes their no iron shirts, and I have to say that they stay looking nice for quite a long time.

Big fan of the LL Bean no iron shirts. I hate ironing and these magically come out of the dryer wrinkle free. And they last really well. if they don't for whatever reason, LL Bean has the lifetime guarantee and will replace a shirt if there's a problem. Win, win, win. :-)

Big fan of the LL Bean no iron shirts. I hate ironing and these magically come out of the dryer wrinkle free. And they last really well. if they don't for whatever reason, LL Bean has the lifetime guarantee and will replace a shirt if there's a problem. Win, win, win. :-)

Yes, yes, yes! We love the LLBean shirts. In over a decade we've only had one that didn't wear like iron!

Charles Tyrwhitt. Do not buy without sales and coupons as prices are sky high otherwise. They may also have outlets. The shirts we bought for my husband three years ago are still going strong and look like new and any other brand we bought to supplement his stash are now too worn looking for him to wear. He works in a very professional environment so needs proper dress shirts. They do with or without French cuffs and several different fits, as well as a great non-iron version that I still iron but it is easier to do so.

DH likes both LL Bean and Lands End.  We shop their sales - we get emails from both.  LE just had their Friends and Family sale, 30% off everything (including sale items).  Closer to Christmas, they'll probably have their 40% sale.  Both have free shipping - Bean on everything, and Lands End usually at about the $50 mark.

Wonderful!  Thanks for all the brand suggestions.  Keep them coming, please.  He likes softer fabrics;it has to feel nice.  The Geoffrey Beene shirts are sateen or something close to it.  The shirts are worn with and without ties.  He needs a pocket.  We are looking for white and solid colors, primarily blues.  Point collar (no button down collar).  Button cuffs (no french cuffs).

@ zoobie & diplomum: what is a good sale price for Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt shirts?

Wonderful! Thanks for all the brand suggestions. Keep them coming, please. He likes softer fabrics;it has to feel nice. The Geoffrey Beene shirts are sateen or something close to it. The shirts are worn with and without ties. He needs a pocket. We are looking for white and solid colors, primarily blues. Point collar (no button down collar). Button cuffs (no french cuffs).

@ zoobie & diplomum: what is a good sale price for Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt shirts?

They're normally "on sale" 3/$225 but the store runs 25% off or 30% off sales a few times a year. It's usually stackable with the 3 for or 2 for. I bet there would be one near Christmas. Their salespeople are very helpful (and send TY notes sometimes), so if you call, they should tell you when the next store wide sale is. Or stop by and ask. Get their name and then give them the sale when you buy. :) The turnover seems low because the same guy has been at the store we usually go to for several years. There are also deals with the store card if you want to mess with that.

Sh has several from Land's End that still look beautiful after 3 years. He also has several from Sears (Covington???) -whatever their private label is - that he's had for a long time that are still going strong. The Seats sale prices are very good. DH's dress pats/shirts  are pretty much the only thing I buy at Sears but we've been happy with them.

When Land's End stopped with their custom sizing, my husband almost cried. He has a mix of Brooks Brothers, Land's End and whatever he finds at the thrift store in his rather odd size. He is very picky about fit. He has some 7 year old Land's End Shirts that have seen heavy wear and are going to be retired soon but certainly there is no pilling.