Roscoe Riley

Magic by the lake books

Beverly clearly books

Captain awesome

My weird school

My fathers dragon

Cul a sac kids

Ronald Dahl books

Just started how to train your dragon series which is a huge hit. Ordering more books and would like to get something of similar difficulty and genre.

Dairy of a Wimpy Kid and Harriet the Spy definitely.  I'm not familiar with some of the others and I think The Hardy Boys might have some teenage dating stuff that wouldn't interest a 6 year old.

39 Clues is another good series.

Dragon Slayer Academy.

The Wayside School series

Bailey School Kids

For more literary I second Dick King-Smith and I'll toss in Tomie DePaola's Fairmont Avenue series (this will probably be on the easy end though), Tornado (also on the easy end), My Father's Dragon, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, the Henry and Ribsy books...

For more fun, I'll second the 39 Clues and add Spiderwick.

These are all parts of series that my boys enjoed at that age:

Freddy the Detective by Walter Brooks

Droon by Tony Abbott

Green Forest series by Thornont W. Burgess

The Mouse on the Motorcycle

Pippi Longstocking

Poppy by Avi (Read more before trying it, some loved characters die in the series)

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Roland Wright: Future Knight by Tony Davis

Zeus and the Thunderbolt of Doom by Joan Holub

Dealing with Dragons (This and the Poppy books are the most advanced on this list. But my boys liked them at that age.)

My son LOVES roscoe Riley!  (And Captain Underpants. Sigh.)  He went to the library last night to find more Books in that series and came back with

Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Diaries-Secret-Writings-Society-ebook/dp/B005HXZNNO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384543164&sr=1-2&keywords=Cat+Diary

which he's really LOVING.

On the flyleaf, they mention some other books:

Dog Diaries: Secret Writing of the WOOF Society

The SOS File

He is also enjoying the Scholastic Notebook of DOOM series:

Rise of the Balloon Goon is the first book. http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Doom-Balloon-Goons-Branches-ebook/dp/B00B9FX3FO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384543323&sr=1-1&keywords=Notebook+of+DOOM+set

I'll add Bunnicula to the list. The whole Bunnicula series is pretty funny. There are easier chapter books called "The House of Bunnicula" which are hilarious too. The main series is at a bit higher reading level but not more so than the longer roald Dahl books.

• 4 weeks later...

The 39 Clues terrified my ds, to the point that I had to sleep in his room for a week.  I've never read it, and he couldn't pinpoint exactly what scared him so badly.  

Mine has just started Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and he's getting the rest of the Percy Jackson series for Christmas.  I pulled the Series of the Unfortunate Events out of the attic today so I'm guessing he'll start those soon.

I loved Bunnicula when I was little  :001_wub: .  

My kid loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid and found it at six.  He still reads it at 11 sometimes *eye roll, lol* BUT I wish he had not read it so young.  The main character is pretty self centered and at six I wasn't sure he could really differentiate it? We did talk about it but, I dont know.  Just, fyi :-) ymmv.

Burgess was a hit if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Second: Burgess if what is meant is the series of animal books, like The Adventures of _____ the Meadow Mouse.

The Buddy Files series (dog detective, about same reading level as Magic Tree House), possibly Hank the Cowdog, but it has more play with language that may or may not be appropriate yet

Magic Tree House fact trackers and the later ones of series--has a slightly changed name-- if not already done

somewhat harder reading:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

all of EB White's children's books

The Foundling, Time Cat and other books by Lloyd Alexander

Mary Poppins books

Bobbsey Twin mysteries

Little House series

A Wrinkle in Time (if not too scary for him)

There is a series the name of which eludes me, by a Scandinavian author, maybe the same one as did Pippi Longstocking, but this is a different series with Trolls as major characters in it, maybe trolls is part of the name.