Menu

does this sound like an insane spring break plan?

Ravin

Rent car. Drive 12 hours to hometown in TX from AZ with kids for family visit. Leave kids with relatives and drive 12 hours 2 days later to attend 2-credit hour seminar class in Nebraska for five days, then drive back to TX to fetch kids and home to AZ by the following Monday when I'll have class.

Depends on the ages of the kids and if you're good travelers.

For us, a 12 hour day is no big deal and our family lives 13 hours away so we've done that drive dozens of times. But for some folks (like kids not used to traveling), it's torture and would take days to recover. 

try to fly from tx to kansas and back then drive.  If you can't just do the driving!! I love a good road trip and that sounds great to me. I just drove 15 hours to stay with my sis in Alabama for 4 days and drove back yesterday.  I would hop in the car right now and do that drive again if it was to somewhere worth going

Sound Ike a punishment to me.... But when I was a kid my parents would often take trips Iike that with us kids. Minus the destination. (at least that is how I remember them)

Drive to the east coast. Look at the oven drive the three days back home again.

Ahhhhhhh!

(so says the woman who doesn't even to drive to the grocery store when she could walk. After all a weeks worth of grocers can fit in a wagon)

And there would have to be male strippers involved.

(Oh no. Someone must have hacked my account for a minute there, because you know I would never post such a thing.....)

I'll have to remember that one. "Honey, do you mind if the girls and I go to a 'seminar' tonight?" LOL

OP - that sounds exhausting. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Can you drive a couple hours to a larger airport in TX and fly out of there to get a better deal on airfare?

That sounds like something we would do. :)

I think it really depends on whether you and your kids enjoy long drives. We really enjoy just spending time together and relaxing in the car (my husband is weird and finds driving relaxing), so days spent driving are just an extension of the vacation.

That sounds like something we would do. :)

I think it really depends on whether you and your kids enjoy long drives. We really enjoy just spending time together and relaxing in the car (my husband is weird and finds driving relaxing), so days spent driving are just an extension of the vacation.

This is the first time I've seen you here, MegBo -- welcome to the forum!!! :)

American Airlines and affiliates are all that fly in and out of Sioux City, IA, the nearest airport according to Googlemaps. I have a niece and a great nephew due to be born before spring break, and with my mom's health being what it is, making family a priority seems a good idea. It's also possible DH will start grad school there in the spring.

I think I'll let the seminar go.

American Airlines and affiliates are all that fly in and out of Sioux City, IA, the nearest airport according to Googlemaps. I have a niece and a great nephew due to be born before spring break, and with my mom's health being what it is, making family a priority seems a good idea. It's also possible DH will start grad school there in the spring.

All things considered, it sounds like the best choice, unless your heart is really set on going.

Nearest airport to what?

Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island, Kearney, and McCook all have airports.