Menu

Learning to Crochet or Knit?

Paige

My DD (9) desperately wants to learn to crochet and knit. She wants to make sweaters, blankets, and cute little animals. She loves to sew, is pretty crafty, and has some talent. I am the opposite- not crafty and don't sew well and have no idea how to knit or crochet. Is it easy enough that I could get a book or something, learn the basics myself, and then teach her enough to get her started? My MIL has taught her to make a straight line but that's all. DD has a book that I flipped through, but it looks complicated and speaks in some special secret sewing code that I don't get. I don't know anyone we see often enough who could teach DD for me.

Any recommendations for an easy to follow book on the very basics? Or maybe something online and free? Or is this something that we would need to learn from an actual person who knows what to do?

The knifty knitter, finger knitting, and arm knitting are all really fun for beginners! I would link you to tutorials, but I'm on my phone. Just google them though. I crochet & if you want to start her with a crochet hook, I'd start with a simple chain. YouTube is great for beginners. Next look up single crochet and then double. Those are basic enough to do any project.

As for knitting, I am horrible. I have a collection of knitting needles that are wasted on me and my inability to grasp it.

When I re-taught myself the basics of crocheting (could never get the hang of knitting), I found websites and YouTube helpful. If your daughter is a visual learner, this may work for her - as should a well-written book for Beginner Crocheting. Can you peruse some books at Michael's or JoAnn's? It helps me to see the book first and get confident that it is going to be helpful enough to spend money.

Crochet is not that hard to learn, at least to get started with. Check your library for kids' books on crochet. Teach Yourself Visually Crochet is a good book too. America's Crochet Book is an older book with black and white photos/drawings but I found it very clear at showing the stitches. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube as well. CrochetTalk.com is one channel that shows how to make basic stitches. Red Heart Yarn is another channel with lots of tutorials, especially on using some of the specialty yarns.

Start with an inexpensive acrylic yarn and get a set of hooks - G, H, I, J - would be the most common sizes. A scarf is very simple to make - you can make one with just a chain stitch and a half-double crochet. Dishcloths are really easy too - just a chain stitch and a single crochet (use cotton yarn).

Thanks! I've been messing with it all night and I can do a little chain. I'm having a lot of trouble doing a single stitch, however. I'm left handed and holding everything backwards from the pictures/videos. Is that going to cause a problem? I've made my chain extremely loose but every time I try to do a single stitch to add a row, it gets really tight really quickly. Could it be because I'm trying to do it backwards or upside down?

Www.knittinghelp.com

I think knitting is easier to learn because reading knitting patterns is way easier and they are more straight forward than crochet. I know others disagree :)

ETA: haha. I posted before reading responses. I see I am in the minority but I stand by it. Knitting makes better wearables like hats sweaters etc because the fabric is softer and it looks like something you could buy which is my preference. She should probably try both and see which she prefers.

Thanks! I've been messing with it all night and I can do a little chain. I'm having a lot of trouble doing a single stitch, however. I'm left handed and holding everything backwards from the pictures/videos. Is that going to cause a problem? I've made my chain extremely loose but every time I try to do a single stitch to add a row, it gets really tight really quickly. Could it be because I'm trying to do it backwards or upside down?

I'm not a lefty so I don't have advice, except can you see if there are any tutorials for lefties? Also, crocheting that first row into the chain is usually kind of a pain. Once you get past that and get started on your next row it should go much easier.

Hi Paige! 

I made two youtube videos for you. They cover the slip knot, chain, and single crochet from my left handed POV.  I will send you a PM with the links. If they are helpful, I can show you how to turn around when you get to the end & a double crochet.  

You may find other tutorials more beneficial though & that's okay too!!! :)

I hope it is of some use though.

Amy

Another kids book I've looked at was by Lucinda Guy. I can't remember the titles, but she had one for knitting and one for crochet. I found them at the library.

You have some great responses already, I wanted to add that if you have a "local" yarn shop they tend to be really, really helpful, I bet you could arrange for an hour of someone's time to get you both started. You wouldn't necessarily have to commit to on-going lessons.

Also, a nice project to startith can be a hat. It can be made in a circle, so no going back and forth necessary, and it is smaller than a scarf.

Another nice project is a patch-work type blanket. It can be done in small pieces which makes problems easier to fix and the pieces can have different patterns which is a great way to add variety.

Lastly, either craft is awkward and feels totally foreign until suddenly it doesn't, so stick it out as long as you are enjoying the challenge.

I hope you and your dd have fun!

If you crochet the chain with a hook that is a size larger that the one you are working the project in it can help it from getting too tight.  Also don't tightly grasp the project and don't pull the yarn tightly.  The key is to relax :001_smile:

It is easier to start with crochet.  It takes greater manual dexterity to knit-two needles.  Also, it is easier to correct a mistake in crochet. Correcting knitting has a big to chance of dropped stitches leading to a run.

If you watch a righty crochet in front of a mirror and look in the mirror you will see how to do it left handed.  I have taught a lefty to crochet and knit and it was difficult for me.  I would try to do it left handed and it taxed my brain majorly!

Knifty Knitter. I've tried several times to learn real knitting with needles but I'm too uncoordinated. But the Knifty Knitter is super-easy. My kids can do it from a fairly young age. Youngest DD has autism and won't turn 5 until January but she can do it with help from her big sister (DD2 can do the knitting part but DD1 has to set up each row on the loom for her).

The Mary Frances knitting book http://maryfrancesbooks.com/ is a filled with fun projects for both knit and crochet if your dd still likes dolls! My dd loved it. It might be available to download for free. Not sure -- the garden one is.

Another place to seek hands on help is a local knitting store. They have expert staff (normally) and are generally happy to help as long as you buy your yarn from them.

I would find some local classes and enroll her in a class. Most knitting shops have learn-to-knit classes or drop-in classes. Most sewing stores have sewing classes. I taught my daughter, age 8, how to do the basics - casting on, knit, purl, follow a pattern, etc. We go to a drop-in class and the teacher shows her how to do the things such as increasing and yarn overs in the pattern. She has made lots of stuff for her doll and she wants to make a sweater next. It is well worth the cost.