Menu

Games that are Good for Your Brain

My kids can smell an educational game a mile away, and usually reject it out of hand.  So, can we brainstorm a list of regular games (board games, active games, pencil and paper games... ANYTHING) that are good for our brains, improve logic, creativity, language skills, understanding of the world around us, etc., but are still - first and foremost - GAMES.

For example, my younger DD plays a hangman game on Always Ice Cream because it's fun, but it indirectly supports (enhances? builds?) spelling and logic skills.  

Why I'm going here:  10 yo DD will finish TT 3 around Thanksgiving and we can't afford the new level until January so I thought we could take a Christmas break from traditional math and just play a ton of games.  Real games.  Games you play because they're fun and challenging.  Not games you play because they're "good for you."   However, if they're games that sneak in logic, strategy, and other foundational brain skills, so much the better :)

So, any great ideas for me?

How sneaky does it have to be?  I mean, I actually enjoy playing Bananagrams or Scrabble, you know?

How about Scribblenauts for spelling?

I would just focus on getting good games.  Something like Ticket to Ride or Carcassone has lots of good educational elements to it because they're just good games.

Loverboy read an article in ?Science? magazine 5-6 years ago.  (It was one of the prominent science journals). 

The question was, "How do we teach math to low-income households, in a non-complicated way?"

The answer: GAMES.

Examples given:

Chutes and Ladders teaches counting order to 100.

Monopoly teaches doubling (when you get a monopoly), and counting money.

SETQuarto, and Iota are great games.

We love Bananagrams.  And, hey, it's also available in other languages:

Italian Bananagrams

French Bananagrams

German Bananagrams

Spanish Bananagrams

Hebrew BANANAGRAMS®

Norwegian BANANAGRAMS®

Sadly, no Latin version!

Equate (Here is a link to the Junior Tile Set.)

Math Dash

Stratego

Regards,

Kareni

Well, all of these games were well-loved here, without anyone ever thinking they were "educational":

MATH

Shut the Box (adding, with strategy) -- I think it's flipping of the numbers that made this one such a hit

Yatzhee (adding / multiples)

Fill or Bust (adding)

Mille Bourne

Monopoly (money) -- regular, but then esp. Star Wars edition -- and then, making our own Chance and Community Chest cards!

Go For Broke (money)

Life (money)

Careers (money)

SPELLING/VOCABULARY

Boggle

Qwiddler

LOGIC / STRATEGY

Mastermind

Secret Door

Amazing Labrynth

Scan (old Parker Brothers game)

Set

221 B. Baker (like an expanded version of Clue)

Mancala

Battleship

GEOGRAPHY

Risk

Ticket to Ride

• 2 weeks later...

Checkers, cribbage, war (addition or subtraction), sudoku, Settlers of Catan, Battleship. We like the Math Sequence game, but my oldest is 8, and it might be less challenging for you DS10.

If you have an iPhone or iPad (maybe other devices, not sure), Lego has this awesome game called Life of George. You nee a building set (physical) and a free app. You build a little Lego thing, scan it into the app, and then it "rates" your accuracy and how quickly you do it. It has been great for my son's fine motor skills, observational skills, and planning skills. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest liketolearn

Metaform is a great game for kids to develop logic and problem solving skills. It is a single player game i.e. a series of puzzles of increasing difficulty, from age 4 - adult. I love math and problem solving, and find the hardest problems pretty hard to solve. It appeals more to kids who like spatial thinking.