Menu

Looking at kids rock tumbler for Christmas

saraha

I thought one would be cool, too, until I learned that to polish your rocks, you have to run the machine for about 2 weeks using a coarse grit. Follow that for another couple weeks with a finer grit, and then another round with an even finer grit. You're looking at a probably six weeks to 2 months of constant running to get one batch of nicely polished stones.

They tend to be very loud as well.

I love the idea of it, but couldn't stomach to idea of running that thing for so long (noise! electricity!).

If you find a machine that is quiet and doesn't take as long and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, please let me know!!

Very loud and take a long time.  And . . if you start a cycle of rock polishing, don't just unplug the machine and leave the rock mess sitting in it because  you will never use the rock polisher again.  That's what happened to our first one.  Now my 9 yods is asking for another one for Christmas.  We'll see.  We run ours in our garage because even in the basement it echoes through the whole house.  

I thought one would be cool, too, until I learned that to polish your rocks, you have to run the machine for about 2 weeks using a coarse grit. Follow that for another couple weeks with a finer grit, and then another round with an even finer grit. You're looking at a probably six weeks to 2 months of constant running to get one batch of nicely polished stones.

They tend to be very loud as well.

I love the idea of it, but couldn't stomach to idea of running that thing for so long (noise! electricity!).

If you find a machine that is quiet and doesn't take as long and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, please let me know!!

:iagree:

Once my ds read the instructions, he didn't even bother using the stupid thing. It takes forever and it's incredibly noisy.

What a waste of money. (Thankfully, we didn't buy an expensive one!)

It is loud, but you do get really neat results!  My son had one and used it several times to polish rocks that he collected along Lake Superior.  He made jewelry gifts out of them for Christmas presents, or sometimes just kept them.  We kept it in the garage which is separate from our house, so we didn't have to hear the noise all the time!  In all honesty he probably only used it about half a dozen times, but it was really fun to see the final product.  I'm sure we just had a cheap one, but I think for what it was, it was worth it for our son.

We loved ours. You need a good uncle to do these projects with. :D Yes they ran in the garage for a couple of weeks with this grit and then that grit. You can even buy rocks to tumble. They turn out so very pretty. You can even give them away for Christmas presents.