Menu

Favorite spelling workbook for 1st/2nd grade?

Wonder

I know I've done several posts about spelling lately.  Sorry...  I currently have Abeka Spelling for my first graders, but I'm just not sure it's the best fit for them.  We're using Abeka phonics for reading which is great, so I thought I'd use the spelling too.  NOT liking it.  Maybe it's just a bit too challenging for one of my girls?  I don't know...I've tried to use it and ADD to it, doing word play, etc.  But as I look ahead to the upcoming lessons, I'm not sure that it works well to have lessons where they mix words with 'ow' and 'ou' or "ight" and "ite" in the same lesson, etc.  Seems confusing.  I'm looking into Apples and Pears a bit, but it sounds like possibly excessive writing?  I'd like to find a workbook spelling program that will have my girls "work with" the words a bit more than Abeka.

Can anyone tell me anything about A Reason For Spelling?  Evan Moore? Another workbook spelling? 

Would R&S spelling Grade 2 be too hard?  I can't tell from the minimal sample pages listed.  One of my girls is reading at a 2nd grade level and the other is probably more "end of 1st grade" level.  I'd like to keep them doing the same spelling if possible, although the one who reads a bit better DOES seem to have an easier time with spelling.  I don't think I want SWO, either.

Thanks in advance!

... We're using Abeka ... spelling...  NOT liking it...

... I'd like to find a workbook spelling program that will have my girls "work with" the words a bit more... 

... I'd like to keep them doing the same spelling if possible... 

Not a workbook, but you might want to take a look at All About Spelling (AAS). Other than the workbook aspect, it is a spelling program that hits on all the other items in your "wish list" for a spelling program. AAS teaches phonograms (vowel and sound pattern rules) and has the student work with words in a variety of ways so it connects with all  learning styles. AAS is very hands-on, which is often a very good fit for those early elementary ages, and it would eliminate the possibility of excessive of writing you mentioned in your post. It would also be very easy to use AAS with both students simultaneously.

BEST of luck in finding what fits best! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I also use ABeka phonics, and went through 17 lessons of their 1st grade spelling this year before we switched to AAS. I wanted something more explicit in the rules. I agree that the lessons that mixed similar sounds without helping you know the rules for which to put where were confusing. The only way we got through the er, ir, ur lesson was for me to make up silly sentences with all the "ur" words for example. (Like, "The nurse with a purse and a curl in her hair treated the patient with a burn.") Yeah, I know. I knew that wouldn't stick, though.

We're also using FLL, WWE, and SOTW. :)

Right now we are totally breezing through AAS level 1. I'm not sure if I'll stick with AAS past level 4 (which is what I have up through) because it's teacher intensive and I have lots of kids to teach. I might switch to R&S after that. So yeah, if you're looking for a workbook approach, R&S sounds good to me! I don't think 2nd grade would be too hard based on the samples I saw. I don't know about Evan Moore or Reason for Spelling. Others on here have recommended How To Teach Spelling as a workbook approach similar to AAS, but I don't have a link for you.

We use Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Spell & Write.  Spelling comes easily to my son (very visual) and I like that the EM also introduces some grammar concepts like homonyms, synonyms, etc. and also has a writing assignment each lesson (we don't always do the writing assignment).   There's a lot of working with the words without unnecessary overkill.

We did use AAS for two years.  It was good but a lot of time and set-up when my son didn't need the multi-sensory, hands-on approach.   I will probably start it soon with my daughter, who does not pick up spelling, reading or phonics as easily as her brother.   

We've used Soaring with Spelling and Evan Moore's Spelling workbooks.  The girls did well with both.  Our leftie preferred Soaring with Spelling because the binding is on the top of the pages.    We are a very workbook oriented family, and could also take both books with us on car trips.

We're using Evan-Moor's Building Spelling Skills (3rd grade) and LOVE it. I haven't looked at the earlier grade levels, though. In 3rd grade, there's no busy work, there's a point to every activity.  And, it includes dictation sentences.   

ETA: just checked the second grade book and it has the same format and types of activities as the 3rd grade book (incl. dictation), but with easier words.  

I'm using Apples & Pears with my 2nd grader (who reads at a 1st grade level).  It can be a lot of writing but you don't have to do a whole level per lesson.  At the point where we are now (when the writing has ramped up quite a bit) we don't even get through a whole page in 1 lesson.  No biggie.

I'm not sure I'll use A&P with my youngest, simply b/c she doesn't seem to need the repetition.  I might, though...it's very painless & open-and-go.

If you want a workbook style, you might look into the How To Spell workbooks. They use a sequence/pacing that is much more like AAS.

We're loving Apples and Pears. But my boys wouldn't have been able to handle the writing in 1st, or probably even 2nd grade and it requires you for the entire lesson. So it's a workbook, but not at all a hand it to them work independently program. I wouldn't pick it at this time.

We're loving Apples and Pears. But my boys wouldn't have been able to handle the writing in 1st, or probably even 2nd grade and it requires you for the entire lesson. So it's a workbook, but not at all a hand it to them work independently program. I wouldn't pick it at this time.

This is true -- it is definitely not independent.

Just now getting a chance to see these responses.  I know lots of people seem to LOVE AAS, but honestly we can't afford that at this time (unless I found a super good deal).  We do use some phonogram tiles (at least I'm trying to).  Thanks for the responses and shared experiences!  I'm off to look at some of these more in-depth. :)

We use spelling lists from Spelling Plus. The kids practice their spelling words on spelling city.com.

It teaches the words, allows them to play games to practice words and grades the spelling test for them. My 6 and 7 year old have really been learning their spelling words by playing games on spelling city.com (which is free).

Just now getting a chance to see these responses.  I know lots of people seem to LOVE AAS, but honestly we can't afford that at this time (unless I found a super good deal).  We do use some phonogram tiles (at least I'm trying to).  Thanks for the responses and shared experiences!  I'm off to look at some of these more in-depth. :)

I saw that another poster said that How to Spell was like AAS.  I don't know anything about AAS but we use How to Spell and it is VERY cost effective.  I like how it teaches the spelling rules, syllabication, and has dictation built in (we also do dictation with WWE but in the case of HTS I do not coach proper spelling.  If they can spell the words properly from dictation then you know they can spell the words!).  Also it doesn't have word lists to go from.  There are sight word lists that need to be memorized but that is unavoidable.  Your children will learn WHY some words have "ch" at the end instead of "tch" and which ones are the exception.  I like that because it makes sense to me.  

You use the teacher's manual through all four levels and we don't write in the workbooks because it is easy to just use a comp book (so if you have multiple children you're not buying the workbook over and over again).  It's quick and easy and not very teacher intensive.  The most teacher intensive lesson would be:  read this rule aloud to your teacher.  Read this list of words to your teacher.  Or "dictate some of the sentences and/or phrases on p. 37 to the student".  I would not try to teach just from the teacher's manual--I found it to be very confusing to come up with my own program but very easy to use with the workbooks (I haven't found the additional answer keys necessary).  http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=how+to+teach+spelling  or  http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find/1372008130?Ntt=how+to+teach+spelling&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1

Also note, these lessons really do not take a lot of time so don't expect this to be a filler while you work with another child.  There isn't a lot of busy work with this program.

Good luck with your search.

Sounds like you are wanting workbooks because of financial constraints, but that the amount of writing workbooks require, plus workbooks don't hit on other learning styles, does *not* work??

While it takes more one-on-one time (although you can easily do your twins together), how about getting something cheap and making your own weekly lists, and practicing with a variety of written -- and NOT-written -- techniques?

Natural Speller lists words by "word families" and is for grades 1-8 -- that should cover all your spelling needs for the next 4 years for $25 (less for used!). Author Kathryn Stout has the student practice by looking-writing-spelling method, but you can easily incorporate additional or substitute practice methods.

The ABCs and All Their Tricks is only $16 (half that price from Amazon used!); it is a spelling resource listing all the phonetic spelling rules and why, with lists of words you can use to create your only weekly spelling that would work for grades 1-12.

Be sure to take time each day to go over words and vowel patterns, homophones, how to add endings (like "drop the 'y' and add '-ies' to make plurals") etc. on the whiteboard. Use colors to highlight the vowel patterns (like the "oat" in "boat" in red and the other letters in blue), and demonstrate word endings, and show the difference in homophones.

You might also check out Mary Pecci's big book of simple worksheets, Word Skills, and coordinate some of your spelling words with the workbook's practice pages on word endings, contractions, compound words, etc.

For spelling practice you could use a variety of methods:

Tactile

- spell out with foam or magnetic letters or with letter tiles

- spell words with finger drawing in a tray of sand or cornmeal

- roll out "snakes" of play dough or clay and shape into letters

Kinesthetic

- toss it -- you say the word clearly, spell it by syllable, then toss a beanie toy to student who catches it, says/spells the word and tosses it back (variation from Carol Barnier's book, How to Get Your Kid Off the Refrigerator and On To Learning)

- write the alphabet big in sidewalk chalk outside, and student jumps from letter to letter while spelling out loud (or for inside, write each letter on an index card and jump from card to card)

Dictation

- dictate a short (5-6 words) sentence, with 2 or 3 spelling words in it to practice simultaneous writing/thinking/spelling.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas has a great blog post with a list of 75 ways of practicing spelling words.

Spelling City is a great, online resource, with some free options and some for-purchase options. Other free online spelling games/practice: Kids Spell, Fun English Games, or Big IQ Kids.

Also check out the various free online spelling worksheet generators, such as School Express (generators for 6 different types of worksheets), A to Z Teacher Stuff (word shape worksheet generator), Quick Worksheets (word scramble worksheet generator).

BEST of luck in finding what best fits your family's needs! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Just to throw out another workbook-based spelling program... :D

I really like BJU Spelling.  My oldest needed something more incremental (A&P has a much slower pace, content-wise).

But I'll be using BJU Spelling with my youngest, starting next year (1st).  I have the guides & the workbooks and -- at least for the lower levels -- I feel like the teacher's guide is unnecessary (great, since it's so pricey!)

Anyway, I can't speak on long-term use, but I think it looks pretty good.  Traditional, but varied.

If I were you, I'd buy just the teacher's guide for AAS and drop the rest. The "student pack" is 95% cue cards with the words on it, which you can make if you want them. You really don't need the tiles. You can do it all with the teacher's guide.

I agree with this. I'm usually a rule follower, but we're not doing AAS as intended, mostly due to time constraints and lots of littles who would get into everything. The teachers manual gives me everything I need, and we use a whiteboard, letter tile app, and paper. It's not how I started out but I have a natural speller who gets it without the bells and whistles. I do like so far how it presents the rules and feel like I can teach without using the cards. That said, we're on level 1 step 18 so that may change in the future, I don't know