Menu

Need a book recommendation

Night Elf

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott is definitely up there. It's funny, and poignant, too. Her others are the same way--Operating Instructions was particularly good. 

I happen to think the Wayside School stories are the funniest children's books--if you wanted to go in that direction! Lots of wordplay. 

I rarely laugh out loud when I read a book; probably just a handful of times in my life! (I'm not talking about children's books. A lot of those have made me laugh! :)) One book that DID make me laugh out loud was Angela's Ashes. Of course it also had a lot of tragic events in it as well, and it is definitely not a book for children. But it had a lot of really funny scenarios in it.

Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse and Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (There are some breaks from the humor to educate the masses on the English countryside and there are those who have told me they didn't find it funny at all but you just can't account Some People's lack of humor ;) )

Also, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Anything by Jen Lancaster - Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of an Egomaniacal, Self Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office is her first book and it was great. There were times in each of her books where I would guffaw out loud - making my husband think I'd lost my mind!

http://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Black-Condescending-Self-Centered-ebook/dp/B000OZ0NO4/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1380225719&sr=1-1&keywords=bitter+is+the+new+black