Menu

Replacing car seats after fender bender?

indigomama

Should I replace car seats?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should I replace car seats after a fender bender?

• Yes!
    • No.

We were in a fender bender yesterday. Someone backed out of a parking space and into me. The headlights were broken and fender dented. Airbags did not deploy and no one was hurt. No one was going above 10mph.

I have 2 car seats and 2 booster seats in my van. My 3 yo was with me, the other seats were empty. 

I've looked online and if seems the National Highway System does not suggest replacing under the above conditions, but some other sites do. So, I was curious what was the opinion was from the hive. Thanks!

My insurance company replaced a carseat after an accident, but it was more than a fender bender. Honestly, for what you describe, I can't see how the integrity of the seat might be compromised. Personally, I wouldn't replace them. However, if it bothers you, they should be replaced. You deserve peace of mind, especially with regards to the safety of your children.

Absolutely, unless it is a seat like Britax where I believe in some instances (very minor fender bender) they say they are okay to keep.

One of the seats was Britax. But wouldn't it look silly to the insurance company, who I would have pay for them, if I tell them one seat is fine but the other three need replaced?

I didn't vote, but we did replace seats in a minor accident. Our wreck was a rear end/slightly off set. We weren't moving, no injuries to us, no damage to the doors on the carseat sides, we could drive away, etc. I don't know the other driver's speed, but I imagine impact was low speed. I remember feeling certain the seats were fine.

The other insurance company replaced our seats as if it were routine. I remember the adjustor ran through questions with me that included whether there were car seats in the car and, if so, makes and models. In our case, the issue was voiding the manufacturer's warranty on the seat if I recall. This was several years ago. Maybe things have changed now.

My insurance company replaced a carseat after an accident, but it was more than a fender bender. Honestly, for what you describe, I can't see how the integrity of the seat might be compromised. Personally, I wouldn't replace them. However, if it bothers you, they should be replaced. You deserve peace of mind, especially with regards to the safety of your children.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Under those conditions, I personally would not. 

Thank you for replying.

I didn't vote, but we did replace seats in a minor accident. Our wreck was a rear end/slightly off set. We weren't moving, no injuries to us, no damage to the doors on the carseat sides, we could drive away, etc. I don't know the other driver's speed, but I imagine impact was low speed. I remember feeling certain the seats were fine.

The other insurance company replaced our seats as if it were routine. I remember the adjustor ran through questions with me that included whether there were car seats in the car and, if so, makes and models. In our case, the issue was voiding the manufacturer's warranty on the seat if I recall. This was several years ago. Maybe things have changed now.

I have a call into the claims adjustor, seeing what they say. Thanks!

We replaced ours after a low speed rear ending accident.  We were stopped at a light, and the other guy wasn't going very fast.  It broke one tail light and dented the bumper a bit.  The other person's insurance company didn't give us any trouble about replacing it, and I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  I checked the manual for the seat, and it said that it should be replaced after any accident. 

It should be standard for the other insurance to pay to replace the car seats.  The other guy was at fault and has to pay all your repairs right?  Replacing car seats would be part of the repair.  They are probably fine but if the insurance has to pay for them, then why the conundrum?  

I have not been able to get ahold of the insurance company today, but one of the autobody shops who gave us a quote, said that we would probably only get a prorated replacement cost. 

If I have to pay myself or a portion myself, to replace 4 seats, one of which is a Britax, it's going to be expensive.

If the insurance would replace them, I would.  If I had to pay out of pocket, then it would depend.  

When I was in a similar accident, I did not and never thought twice about it. It was my son, in the back seat in a brand new booster.  I knew the plastic wasn't degraded and there was zero door impact to the seat (the  car's own seat absorbed the impact), he didn't even realize we were in an accident.  My kids playing around, roughhousing jars the car seats more than the accident did.  BUT, if there was ever an accident and your car seat didn't contain your child.....would you always wonder if that was the cause?  I asked my self that question and decided that No, I would not blame that accident.  

We asked the other guy's insurance to replace two) out of three seats when we were rear-ended (didn't replace the backless booster, since it wasn't a huge accident), and they didn't give us any grief about it. The one guy did try to say that they'd only give me partial replacement because they were a couple of years old, but I said that that didn't help because I couldn't buy used seats. He checked with the other person handling the claim, and she told me to buy new seats and send her the receipt. Amazon brought two new seats within a couple of days, and the insurance company cut me a check (separate from the check they cut me for the repairs to the vehicle).

I would replace the seats, personally, probably, but I'd really insist that they pay full replacement cost.

California requires insurance to pick up the full tab for replacement of the car seats that was occupied during the accident.  I won't replace the boosters but I would replace the unoccupied car seat out of pocket just for my own peace of mind. 

We were hit by a car backing out once at a parking lot.  The impact was still strong enough to cause an obvious dent to the passenger side door and "throw" us in the back seat forwards.  The repair bill was about three thousand and fully paid by the other party's insurance.

One of the seats was Britax. But wouldn't it look silly to the insurance company, who I would have pay for them, if I tell them one seat is fine but the other three need replaced?

The insurance company doesn't know how many seats you have. I would follow the seat manufacturer's advice as they have tested the seats under various conditions. Most have 800-numbers where you can call and give them the accident details. I called Britax to check once.

If the insurance is going to replace your carseats, they should replace them with new ones, not give you a pro-rated amount.  The only instance where I could see them giving you less than the full amount is if you live in a state with comparative negligence.  In that case, if you were found some percentage at fault, say 10% or something like that, then I could see them giving you 90% of your damages.  In that case, then I would go through my own insurance company because 10% of one's deductible is less than 10% of the entire amount of repairs.  I'm not saying this is the case for you, just being thorough in case it helps others as well.

In any case, go with what the claims adjuster says, not some guy at the body shop.

I just got off the phone with the other drivers insurance, and they said things were pretty nebulous as well. We've decided to replace the seat my daughter was in, since the impact was on that side of the car and she was buckled and that brand recommends replacing after any accident. We do not feel it is necessary to replace the boosters that were unoccupied in the back or the Britax seat on the passenger side since it was not recommended to be replaced per Britax's rules. 

They will research a full retail replacement cost for the seat we are choosing to replace and send me a check for that, since it will take much longer to get the car repaired. I feel comfortable with everything. Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

I was in a fender bender a few years back -- another driver rear ended me as I was sitting at a stop light.  It was a minor collision -- maybe at 10mph, tops.  No one was injured. However, the lady's insurance company insisted on replacing my baby's car seat (she was sitting in the car seat at the time, so maybe that makes a difference). 

We replaced ours after a low speed rear ending accident.  We were stopped at a light, and the other guy wasn't going very fast.  It broke one tail light and dented the bumper a bit.  The other person's insurance company didn't give us any trouble about replacing it, and I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  I checked the manual for the seat, and it said that it should be replaced after any accident. 

Yes, depending on what seats they are. Always obey the manual for YOUR car seat. if it says replace after any accident -- replace it.

If it says replace unless it meets the NHTSA criteria -- then run the tests and see.