Menu

I get it. I need an iPad! But, for now, ANDROID apps?

BlsdMama

Logic of English?  iPad.

Barton Tiles? iPad.

Cool math games?  iPad.

Yes, yes, I get it.

But if you think I'm going to buy an iPad right now, just four months to go until Christmas and use up an awesome gift idea, the answer is, "I will caliantly RESIST.  I will WAIT!"

Until then, satisfy me with some Android apps either for my Kindle program on my computer *or* for my phone. ;)

Logic of English?  iPad.

Barton Tiles? iPad.

Cool math games?  iPad.

Yes, yes, I get it.

But if you think I'm going to buy an iPad right now, just four months to go until Christmas and use up an awesome gift idea, the answer is, "I will caliantly RESIST.  I will WAIT!"

Until then, satisfy me with some Android apps either for my Kindle program on my computer *or* for my phone. ;)

BlsdMama -- I am totally stealing your thread and I certainly don't want to! Could you pm me on what convinced you to do ipad learning. I have my ten year olds, for example, do math games on the laptop. Is there a reason -- if I'm using a laptop -- to also have an ipad?

Thank you for your time!

Alley

BlsdMama -- I am totally stealing your thread and I certainly don't want to! Could you pm me on what convinced you to do ipad learning. I have my ten year olds, for example, do math games on the laptop. Is there a reason -- if I'm using a laptop -- to also have an ipad?

Thank you for your time!

Alley

Simply everything I put in the first post - with so many truly great apps for iPad and many of the curriculum publishers going with apps for the iPad, I think it's worth the $$.

Thank you for your time!

Alley

On an iPad or other tablet, the ability to write directly on it with a stylus has been a huge help to me, as well as to my kids. I'm also using the HomeschoolHelper app, which is only for tablets, and I really like it. Also, PDFs open way faster on my iPad via Notability than they do on my PC using Adobe. The iPad also comes along very easily as a notepad or list, whereas an actual laptop would be more cumbersome.

That being said, I also have a keyboard case for my iPad, and it functions very much like a small laptop. I feel like I really have the best of both a tablet and a laptop that way.

I have my ten year olds, for example, do math games on the laptop. Is there a reason -- if I'm using a laptop -- to also have an ipad?

My boys have both a laptop and an ipad.  The laptop is wonderful for Kodu, Scratch and Lego Digital Designer.  The ipad is wonderful for the doctors office, the dentist and as their camera.  Skype and Facetime on the ipad is easier than on the laptops for my kids.  The ipad is also more convenient for reading free classics on Gutenberg (pdf format) or on iBooks than to use the laptop.

There is quite a lot for Android.  I much prefer the Android operating system to Apple.  No need to switch. Android even takes request for specific apps. 

We have 20 or more math games on our tablet and kindle fire. Other education apps my kids like are Stack the States, Kids ABC Phonics, Splashtop Whiteboard,

Star Chart, US History Free.

On an iPad or other tablet, the ability to write directly on it with a stylus has been a huge help to me, as well as to my kids. I'm also using the HomeschoolHelper app, which is only for tablets, and I really like it. Also, PDFs open way faster on my iPad via Notability than they do on my PC using Adobe. The iPad also comes along very easily as a notepad or list, whereas an actual laptop would be more cumbersome.

That being said, I also have a keyboard case for my iPad, and it functions very much like a small laptop. I feel like I really have the best of both a tablet and a laptop that way.

I've heard that the ability to write on pdf's is harder on the smaller tablets, but easier on the iPad. Do you find this to be true?

I've heard that the ability to write on pdf's is harder on the smaller tablets, but easier on the iPad. Do you find this to be true?

I honestly don't know; the iPad (regular size, not the mini) is the only tablet I've ever actually used.  I find it easy to write on it, but I can't compare to other tablets.  That would be a huge deal-breaker for me, though; I'm thinking we'll need a second tablet at some point, for the kids, and I was thinking I might get a cheaper one than the iPad, but if they're harder to write on, no go.

You can write on PDFs on Android (any size tablet) with ezPDF. There are some others as well, bit that was the best one I found when I did my research a year or so ago.

I haven't had any desire for an iPad. Android has excellent apps, and I like the Android OS better (I had an iPod Touch before I got an Android phone).

Joining in...but with no advice. We have an iPad and I'd like to download more school-friendly apps. My boys (6 amd 4.5) LOVE the iPad but I have to limits it's use pretty severely.

Someone tell me about writing on your iPad. I've heard this many times but I've never looked into it more. Details please!!

Hoping to learn if some more great apps.

You can write on PDFs on Android (any size tablet) with ezPDF. There are some others as well, bit that was the best one I found when I did my research a year or so ago.

I haven't had any desire for an iPad. Android has excellent apps, and I like the Android OS better (I had an iPod Touch before I got an Android phone).

What Android tablet do you have? I have an Android phone and love it, but I also have an iPod Touch (mostly music and some apps) and love it as well. I would prefer to do the Android tablet because they are so much cheaper.

Cool, thanks! What do you like better about the Android OS over Apple? I really have no idea, and the iPad was a gift, so I didn't pick it out. I love it, but maybe I'd like another tablet even more.

Joining in...but with no advice. We have an iPad and I'd like to download more school-friendly apps. My boys (6 amd 4.5) LOVE the iPad but I have to limits it's use pretty severely.

Someone tell me about writing on your iPad. I've heard this many times but I've never looked into it more. Details please!!

Hoping to learn if some more great apps.

There is an app called Notability, and it works really well for PDFs. You can use your finger, but I prefer a stylus, even a cheapie one, and while it isn't quite as smooth as a regular pen and paper, it works well for making notes on PDFs, or for coloring maps or marking out items on a grocery list. I really, really like Notability plus the stylus combination.

Guest olivebend

I too am struggling with this.  I prefer Android, but a lot of great educational apps are Apple only.  I'm hoping that starts to get better sooner than later.

I would love to have my phone and computer "stuff" all be shared with a tablet on the same system.

I had an iPhone for years, and didn't realize what I was missing once I switched to Android.  I'm considering an iPad just for the kids' use, but oh how I loathe the thought of having to use iTunes again :D

We have a Samsung galaxy tab2 and love it. I think that more will appear soon for android. I think the search function in the play store is not very good, so often I can't find things but they do exist. I use evernote across our devices which is very good to share things. I also like Polaris office that came on the tab for viewing pdfs best.

Maybe this reply wasn't asked for ( :hat: ), but do we really need tablets?  I think they are fantastic tools and we plan to use them when our kids are in the later years so they have a firm grip on current technology.  That being said, we will only pull the trigger if cash is plentiful in the budget and we are still debt free.

We are going through a simplification push in our family right now (no TV, no Facebook, etc.) and that has really opened our eyes up to what's truly needed to run a successful homeschool/home.  This has also helped us talk with our kids and instill a grounded outlook on what they need to survive versus just what is fun to have or convenient.

Anyway, you probably already guessed this, but I don't have any good Android app ideas!  :)

Maybe this reply wasn't asked for ( :hat: ), but do we really need tablets? I think they are fantastic tools and we plan to use them when our kids are in the later years so they have a firm grip on current technology. That being said, we will only pull the trigger if cash is plentiful in the budget and we are still debt free.

We are going through a simplification push in our family right now (no TV, no Facebook, etc.) and that has really opened our eyes up to what's truly needed to run a successful homeschool/home. This has also helped us talk with our kids and instill a grounded outlook on what they need to survive versus just what is fun to have or convenient.

Anyway, you probably already guessed this, but I don't have any good Android app ideas! :)

No we don't need them. I would like one I must admit but mainly so we could listen to stuff on the couch.

What Android tablet do you have? I have an Android phone and love it, but I also have an iPod Touch (mostly music and some apps) and love it as well. I would prefer to do the Android tablet because they are so much cheaper.

I have a Toshiba Thrive 10", Kindle Fire 7" (original one, not HD), and a Google Nexus 7. TBH, I don't use the 10" tablet all that much, as one of my kids needs severely limited screen time. I pull them out for the kids to use on special occasions only, not every day. We have sometimes used the 10" for school, especially when we were doing Latin via an ebook last year. But I often can do whatever it is we're doing on my phone. I have OneNote on there so I can check things off electronically on our school plans.

One nice thing about the 10" Thrive (which I don't think is made anymore) is that it has a USB port on it. Most tablets don't have that. Of course, that also makes it thicker than most tablets.

My dad just bought Google's new Nexus 10. My kids have played with it and liked it. :lol: My dad is liking it also. It's very thin.

Cool, thanks! What do you like better about the Android OS over Apple? I really have no idea, and the iPad was a gift, so I didn't pick it out. I love it, but maybe I'd like another tablet even more.

I wouldn't change tablets if you already have an iPad. Both are good. I just prefer Android mostly because it gives me a little more control. Apple is notorious for trying to make things "easy" for the user by limiting what they can do in the operating system. We've had issues with that at church when we changed the pulpit computer to a Mac. The overhead projectors need a certain setting, and the Mac won't let them change the computer to that setting. There is no custom option as the Windows machine had. So the projectors don't look as good with the Mac. Every time the preacher has issues with the Mac, DH is shaking his head and saying, "But Macs never have any problems! :rolleyes: "  So likewise, the iOS devices have limitations of control. The average user may not care, but as an off and on user of Linux, I like my control. :D

I prefer Swype to typing, but I don't know if iOS has an option for that. There is probably an app available.

And the ability to put widgets on the home screens is really nice. It's very flexible. I can make my device look like whatever I want. I have a calendar widget on the main homescreen of my phone, so that when I turn the device on, I can immediately see what's going on in the next week without even opening an app.

I have not had issues finding apps for Android. A lot of the major "cool apps" are on Android. For example, I just realized the other day that HOE's apps are available now. Yes, they often come out first on iOS, but as Android is gaining market share, companies are realizing that they need to make Android apps. Check a little later, and you'll probably find it in Google Play. Android now has HOE, DragonBox, Stack the States, Duolingo, and a bunch of other things. If you find a company with an app that isn't available for Android, e-mail them and request it! If they get hundreds of people asking for it, they're likely to come out with an Android version.

I'm seeing friends start to migrate from iPhone to Android phones. One recent friend was a die-hard Mac user with iPhone, iPad, and a Mac desktop. She recently switched to an Android phone (Motorola Razr), and she LOVES IT. I was actually shocked when she said she had changed. :lol:

But again, if you already own an iPad, I wouldn't go buy something different. Enjoy what you have. When it comes time to upgrade to a more modern device, THEN look at Android. :)