Menu

Have you (or your kids) toilette trained a cat?

MomOfOneFunOne

AMDG

My daughter wants to give this a try. I'm not so sure.

On one hand . . . We think she's a good candidate b/c when we got her, she immediately took to the litter box. Then when we moved it, we didn't even do it in stages but picked it up and moved it to the other end of the house, she had no problem at all figuring it out and adjusting her trips accordingly.

On the other hand . . . Any cloth item left in the floor gets peed upon. It doesn't matter what it is or who used it or what it is, she urinates on it. It is a pretty easy fix, though, and since I get a bit angry when ppl leave things in the floor anyway . . . Now they keep their stuff picked up. At any rate, it wories me that this may make her a bit less of a toilette candidate. I'm afraid she may begin to target other cloth items like a couch or chair or bed.

What do you think?

Have you tried this?

What do you think made your kid/kitty succesful?

My daughter wants to try the aluminum pan/litter method. Anyone tried that?

I know a couple of people who claim to have successfully toilet trained cats.  Personally?  I love my kitties, but I don't want them sharing my toilet.  Plus it's so unnatural for them, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be setting the stage for some problems down the road.  For that reason, I'd hesitate to completely take away the litter box.

I have successfully trained one of my cats to use the toilet.  She loved to pee on garbage bags. I wrapped one around the toilet seat. Each day I would make a slightly bigger hole in the bag until it was no longer necessary. It was actually ridiculously easy. However it was very creepy to wake up in the middle of the night to hear someone going to the bathroom when the rest of the family was away.

I've never toilet trained a cat, but I used to have a cat that peed on the toilet without ever having been trained to do it.  No kidding.

I remember getting out of the shower one day and drying my hair with a towel, with my head turned upside down so I couldn't see anything. I heard someone peeing in the toilet and assumed it was my 3 or 4 year old daughter, since she was the only one home.  I said "Good morning!" but got no answer and I was a little irritated because I thought she was being rude.  In the middle of my lecture about how it was customary to respond in kind when someone says "good morning" I looked up and there was the cat, not my kid, on the toilet.  Freaky.  I noticed it regularly after that.

I also had to apologize to my daughter for all the times I'd gotten on to her for not flushing after she used the toilet when she swore it wasn't her.  

Anyway....I never taught him.  It was just weird.  

• 3 weeks later...