Menu

What does 'business casual' mean to you?

PeacefulChaos

I'm just curious, because when I started working at my current job our wardrobe was described as 'business casual'. 

I'm now seeing that my definition of that and the definition of some others are very different.  Which I'm cool with - I'm just thinking, 'huh, I wonder if _____ qualifies as business casual?'

Originally I was thinking dress pants and a nice shirt (I don't do button downs or collared shirts, generally - definitely not button downs).  Now I'm going back and forth between that (since I only have two pairs of dress pants, anyway, and even though I only work 2-3 short shifts per week, I'm a bit of a diva and don't like to re-wear stuff that often!) and khakis or similar pants in a different color, or even colored pants that resemble jeans on the weekends.  Last Sunday I wore the same outfit I wore to church - white jeans and a black shirt from Sevenly, which wasn't uber fancy....

I do try to look a little nicer when I'm at the big desk in front of the CEO's office - not because I'm worried about what my employers will think, but just because I want to represent well.  He's wearing a suit, so I feel like whoever is 'guarding that door' ;) so to speak should be dressed pretty well, also.  That's true on weekdays more than weekends still, though.  When I'm in the other office, I'm not so concerned with it.

Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of 'business casual' was.  It seems to be ever-changing and evolving.  :)

ETA: I'm one of the after hours receptionists, if that makes a difference.  The earliest I go in is 4pm unless it's a weekend.

Oh, and I don't work at an office.  I work at a health care facility.  Just a few details that may make a difference.  DH works there, too, and has a uniform - regular, blue collar worker uniform.  CEO is the ONLY person on the premises who dresses the way he does - and I know him IRL, that is literally the only way he dresses, period.  When I've come across him in a t shirt and shorts, I think he looks weird.  :D  I knew him outside the office long before I started working there.  :)

For men it's a polo shirt and nice khakis.  For women, it's difficult.

Personally, if I were supporting someone who wore suits, I would wear a jacket and skirt or a jacket and nice black pants every single day.  No cleavage or funky prints or graphic t's.  No t's at all, actually.  Just nice tops or blouses.

For men it's a polo shirt and nice khakis.  For women, it's difficult.

Personally, if I were supporting someone who wore suits, I would wear a jacket and skirt or a jacket and nice black pants every single day.  No cleavage or funky prints or graphic t's.  No t's at all, actually.  Just nice tops or blouses.

another question - what qualifies as a t?  Anything without a collar?

Just curious.  To me a t is literally a t-shirt.  You know, like the unisex kind that is boxy, big, and such?

Some people use the term to refer to shirts I wear on an everyday basis - fitted shirts made out of a nicer/softer material.  I just always refer to those as shirts.

I refuse to wear button down shirts, as they are the least flattering thing possible on me.  Anything structured like that makes me look huge all over, because I have wider shoulders for a girl.  Polos I can do, I just don't.  I can buy one from my employer to wear on casual Friday (jeans are allowed on Fridays) but they've never scheduled me for a Friday yet lol... :)

I will say I have seen a couple girls in yoga pants.  I definitely don't think those are business casual! :lol: 

I think technically it's khaki's and collared shirts (polos included).  But I feel that dress is rather unfeminine to the point of being dowdy, so when I see business casual I generally wear jersey dresses instead, without hose, and with close toed shoes.

"Business casual" is so vague it is useless. You really need to know if the person using the term is using it to describe clothing that is less dressy than usual or more dressy than usual.

If I were the gateway to a person who wore a suit, I think I'd stick to dress pants and a blouse or nicer shirt. Especially in an environment that allowed jeans on only some days of the week.

When I worked in an office, both small business and corporation, whether in public eye or not, it meant nice dress pants and shirts, blouses.  No t shirts, sweats, or shorts.   At my last job with corporation, we had casual day friday and we could wear jeans.  I would follow the lead of the boss. If he's consistently wearing 3 piece suit, then I would try to dress appropriately -  dress pants, nice shirt (no see through, no cleavage showing) and a dress jacket.    If you are the gateway person, then first impressions, regardless of who they are  (customers, business associates, etc)  is important.  You represent the business.

The places I've worked, business casual usually means - no blue jeans, no flipflops, no sneakers, no t-shirts with prints or slogans of any kind, no sweats. 

Khaki's, dress pants, black or colored jeans, skirts, plain t-shirts (long or short sleeve), sweaters, polos, blouses are all okay.

Individual positions or special occasions like client meetings could call for a more business level of dress.

This is one that many people interpret incorrectly. The rule of thumb is always, always to dress up rather than down. Look around you. See who at the office is dressed down, and run the other way. You should dress on the same level as the more dressier in the office.

That said, for men business casual is nice pants and a long-sleeved, button-down, collared shirt. Fabric can be more casual, like khaki pants (but NOT carpenter pants). The shirt does not have to be the fine quality worn with a suit--it can be colored, and it can be a thicker weave (like what one might wear to church).

For women, business casual means dress pants and a blouse. Denim is never acceptable.

Because men's "uniform" is so much simpler, they rarely get it wrong. Women, on the other hand, often guess incorrectly on this one and tend towards the overly casual. Believe me, their managers are in despair over this but often don't feel that they can say anything unless the attire is inappropriately revealing. Even then often nothing is said, but the person's career can seriously stall over issues like this.

Edited to add--Polos are not acceptable either. Many women make this mistake because the polo has a collar and is nicer than a plain tee shirt, but even so it's just not dressy enough for an office.

Business casual, to me, means a nice blouse or maybe a sweater set paired with slacks or skirt. Nice shoes. I'm thinking Banana Republic, Anthropologie, White House/Black Market, etc. Colored denim is more casual Friday, IMO, and then *only* if it's in pristine condition and paired with the right blouse and shoes.

ETA: I think polo shirts and khakis look sloppy in an office setting, sorry. That goes for both genders. Polos + khakis = casual. There is nothing business-like about the ensemble, IMO.

I would say preferably collared shirts / printed blouses / nice sweaters, and dockers-type pants; or better.  A skirt suit is fine as well, provided the skirt isn't too long or hippy-ish.  :P  There are also casual dresses that would work - where the top is tailored like a shirt, and the skirt isn't too short or too long.  I would NOT include jeans; shorts only if they are more like a skirt in terms of fit, length, material.  Closed-toe leather shoes if you're wearing long pants.

I would say look around, but it sounds like you may be the only person in your position.

Dress pants in a nicer type fabric. Possibly khakis depending on the work environment, but most often not. Flats or heels. No backless shoes, but flats are okay.  No casual, leather tennis shoes.

No polos and khakis. Just not dressy enough.

Pretty tops. No jeans, colored or not, unless its casual friday.

I think that it is very regional and even varies by place of business.  My DH's last job was business casual and they like him to have at least khakis and polos.  But when he went back to the headquarters in another part of the country they wanted him much more dressed up.  His job now is super casual.  Pretty much anything goes.

If it were me, I would look around to see what others are wearing and do something similar.  You could also ask for clarification from your HR manager.

At dh's company, it means no denim and pants need to he in very nice shape, shirt with collar, and loafers or dress shoes...no tennies, no sandals. That's for men.

For women it can ge chinos, dress pants, or casual skirt. Nice sweater or dress blouse or even a polo,but nothing that is t-shirt like or even a simple knit unless the knit tops was nicely accessorized or part

of a twin set. Mostly its a departure from suits and the female equivalent in dress clothes. But, one does

have to be careful because execs and reps can show up with little notice and one always has to look pretty

professional. Business casual is only on Fridays or on special days when management has something planned

such as the company picnic, or an after work social occasion such as an informal Christmas party.

No capri's for women...that's definitely a no-no as well.

What I've noticed is that if the women dress down a little in terms of tops and bottoms, they tend jazz

it up with accessories.

IMHO and IME, business casual means:

men -- dress pants (dark color usually, typically either requiring professional cleaning or at least looking like they should), good shoes, button down dress shirt (in any color). Washable khaki/docker pants are too casual, IMHO.

women -- dress pants or skirt (or dress), button down dress shirt (in any color). Anything resembling jeans, party/bar clothes, etc would not be appropriate. Tops should never resemble a t-shirt -- they should either be button down or a fine gauge sweater or similar blouse type thing. Shoes should be work/serious shoes, not strappy sandals or flip flops. So, you can go with flats or pumps or loafers, but not party shoes or cute shoes. You can get away with spiky heels or dressier shoes only if you pair them with a serious business dress or slacks. Maybe spiky heels would be OK with very business-y looking clothes, but no way would it be OK with anything that resembles party/bar outfits.

For both sexes, tennis shoes, flip flops, shorts, sandals, t-shirts, tank tops, washable khaki no-iron docker type pants . . . all go on my forbidden list for business casual.

The docker type pants can be somewhat negotiable, depending on the specific work environment. But, in general, I definitely think they are too casual for business casual. 

HTH