Menu

For thos who use supplements, like B12, fish oil etc. what do you use?

ksr5377

Our doctor has recommended that everyone go on probiotics, Vit D and fish oil as well as a B-12 supplement for the one who is possibly ADD.  Just wondering where you purchase and what works for you? We tried an actual liquid oil for the fish oil and that is NOT going to work out.  Also tried a powdered probiotic, but another one hates the feel of it in her food or drink.  We also have a cherry-flavored B-12 tablet, which seems to be fine, but it was almost $20 for 60 tablets, which seems high?  After purchasing everything at our doctor's office I think we'll be spending about $150/month for 5 people. 

Our doctor has recommended that everyone go on probiotics, Vit D and fish oil as well as a B-12 supplement for the one who is possibly ADD. Just wondering where you purchase and what works for you? We tried an actual liquid oil for the fish oil and that is NOT going to work out. Also tried a powdered probiotic, but another one hates the feel of it in her food or drink. We also have a cherry-flavored B-12 tablet, which seems to be fine, but it was almost $20 for 60 tablets, which seems high? After purchasing everything at our doctor's office I think we'll be spending about $150/month for 5 people.

We need the same vitamins supplemented to our diet as well so we drink Kombucha for the probiotic and B vitamins (including B12). It's easy and inexpensive to make your own but we buy growlers and refill locally because my dc prefer the one locally made than mine.

We buy the fermented cod liver oil CAPSULES from Green Pastures. It's very pricey but high quality. It tastes like vomit though so we taught the dc how to swallow the capsules so we didn't have to take the liquid. They have a $5 pill swallowing training cup on amazon and I was also able to buy the FCLO on amazon (Green pastures is the only brand I know of that makes it). Fermented is how you want to take CLO for the benefits. The others are too processed to retain much benefit. I'd recommend reading up on the difference. I've noticed a huge difference myself since we switched to fermented. We spend $35 on the FCLO and $100 on the Kombucha per month, but again, kombucha can be made for pennies.

I admit I'm now a vitamin snob.  very picky about it must be in a bio-available form.  many on the market aren't.

I buy most on amazon, or supersupplements (especially if they have a coupon).  Usually I use NOW, or another good brand as adequate in an attempt to save a few pennies. (I won't go into how much we spend on supplements a month - but I could buy a car.).  some particular things I use only specific brands.  I always read the label to learn exactly what is in it.  My ND prefers thorne - and while amazon carries it, it's the same price everywhere.

• b12 methycobalamin sublingal tabs, not a particular brand.  dosage based upon size.
  • d3 cholecalciferol gel tabs- generic from Costco for most family members.  1dd doesn't absorb d3 and must use the drops.  oh, and 2dd had the lecture in a class about how d3 may be reclassified as a hormone because of how involved it is with so many body systems and the way it works within the cell.  you do need to test your d3 levels to know what they are, and consider 30 a minimum.
  • fish oil - Nordic naturals ultimate omega.  it's a capsule, and dueling will not take oil to save his life.  whatever brand you use, make sure it is filtered so it doesn't have any of the heavy metals.  I hear barleen's is also a good brand.
  • multi - emerald labs 4x per day (they also have a 1 a day and a 2x a day, as pre-natal and over 45 . . .).  I like how everything is very bioavailable.
  • b-complex - emerald labs b healthy.  again, all the b-vits in very bio available forms.  love it - I had been taking a Costco b-complex for years, and switched to this.  I felt like someone had switched on a light by the end of 10 days.  it was that much of a difference.

I used to give dudeling rainbow naturals gummy bear essentials mutli-vitamin as that was the only way I could get anything in him, and I preferred their quality to almost every other kid vitamin on the market.  he now prefers to swallow pills.

I usually buy the emerald labs in bulk as it reduces how much I spend in shipping per item.  last time I had a coupon for super sups and it saved maybe $3 from amazon. so, not much.  I wish they had it under subscribe and save- but they don't.  and you pay more for the prime.  I wait. . . .

we have a number of other particular sups that someone takes that are tailored to their own needs.  and they make a difference.

I love Shaklee supplements--we use vitalizer strips, kid vitamins, and fish oil daily, and C, zinc, etc. as needed during colds and allergy. My kids swallow small and medium size tablets and don't like chewable stuff. I do better with Shaklee fish oil than any others, but the fish oil in the Vitalizer strips has something other goodies in it, can't remember what it's called, so that may be the difference. Nordic Naturals fish oil is very good quality too. I use Ultimate Flora from Renew Life for probiotics, and my kids use the chewable 3 billion cultures version (the kid's one is a great price). Ultimate Flora has a high bifido count, which is why it works so well for me. I get the impression that probiotics have differing results person to person. We are trying to start making our own fermented veggies for probiotics (Perfect Pickler).

I can tell if I stop taking my supplements for a while or get lazy (achy and allergic asthma acts up), but that was not the case as much when I used "regular" drugstore brands.

We use Barlean Omega Swirl and Goodbelly probiotic drink, mixed together.  FWIW, this is the only way I have succeeded in getting DD the older to take either fish oil or probiotics regularly.  I have had her use Vit D drops by rubbing it on her skin as well  (note: she cannot swallow pills yet)

I admit I'm now a vitamin snob.  very picky about it must be in a bio-available form.  many on the market aren't.

I buy most on amazon, or supersupplements (especially if they have a coupon).  Usually I use NOW, or another good brand as adequate in an attempt to save a few pennies. (I won't go into how much we spend on supplements a month - but I could buy a car.).  some particular things I use only specific brands.  I always read the label to learn exactly what is in it.  My ND prefers thorne - and while amazon carries it, it's the same price everywhere.

• b12 methycobalamin sublingal tabs, not a particular brand.  dosage based upon size.
  • d3 cholecalciferol gel tabs- generic from Costco for most family members.  1dd doesn't absorb d3 and must use the drops.  oh, and 2dd had the lecture in a class about how d3 may be reclassified as a hormone because of how involved it is with so many body systems and the way it works within the cell.  you do need to test your d3 levels to know what they are, and consider 30 a minimum.
  • fish oil - Nordic naturals ultimate omega.  it's a capsule, and dueling will not take oil to save his life.  whatever brand you use, make sure it is filtered so it doesn't have any of the heavy metals.  I hear barleen's is also a good brand.
  • multi - emerald labs 4x per day (they also have a 1 a day and a 2x a day, as pre-natal and over 45 . . .).  I like how everything is very bioavailable.
  • b-complex - emerald labs b healthy.  again, all the b-vits in very bio available forms.  love it - I had been taking a Costco b-complex for years, and switched to this.  I felt like someone had switched on a light by the end of 10 days.  it was that much of a difference.

I used to give dudeling rainbow naturals gummy bear essentials mutli-vitamin as that was the only way I could get anything in him, and I preferred their quality to almost every other kid vitamin on the market.  he now prefers to swallow pills.

I usually buy the emerald labs in bulk as it reduces how much I spend in shipping per item.  last time I had a coupon for super sups and it saved maybe $3 from amazon. so, not much.  I wish they had it under subscribe and save- but they don't.  and you pay more for the prime.  I wait. . . .

we have a number of other particular sups that someone takes that are tailored to their own needs.  and they make a difference.

Thank you for such specific information.  I'm really interested in the b12 methycobalamin, as that's what the Dr. recommended as well.  I have also been taking a B complex for several months and have noticed a big difference in my ability to focus and energy levels etc. so I'm super excited to switch to this kind and see if there's a difference like you mentioned.

I love Shaklee supplements--we use vitalizer strips, kid vitamins, and fish oil daily, and C, zinc, etc. as needed during colds and allergy. My kids swallow small and medium size tablets and don't like chewable stuff. I do better with Shaklee fish oil than any others, but the fish oil in the Vitalizer strips has something other goodies in it, can't remember what it's called, so that may be the difference. Nordic Naturals fish oil is very good quality too. I use Ultimate Flora from Renew Life for probiotics, and my kids use the chewable 3 billion cultures version (the kid's one is a great price). Ultimate Flora has a high bifido count, which is why it works so well for me. I get the impression that probiotics have differing results person to person. We are trying to start making our own fermented veggies for probiotics (Perfect Pickler).

I can tell if I stop taking my supplements for a while or get lazy (achy and allergic asthma acts up), but that was not the case as much when I used "regular" drugstore brands.

:iagree:

We all use Shaklee as well. Love them. Trust them.  I see and feel the difference using them.  And we use a lot of them.  :lol: 

The Vitalizer strips are an amazing combination of vitamins with 12 patents! 

he fish oil in the Vitalizer are actually a combination of the Caroto, E &Omega. They use an enteric coating for release in the upper intestine to reduce fishy aftertaste.  Shaklee does their research!  :hurray: 

Our doc is heavy into supplements, these are the ones we use for the supplements you listed (we take a ton more!):

I took B-12 methylcobalamin for years as an injectable.  Yes, I did daily shots.  :)  But they worked great.  You can have it compounded at a special pharmacy so it contains no preservatives.  With sublingual, you don't have the pokes, though.  

We use Nordic Naturals for Omega-3s, etc.  Great company.

Thorne Basic Detox Nutrients for our multi - even DS takes these, just half the dose of an adult.

No help on Vit D - mine is an Rx.  

Hope you find products that work well for you!

I have used high end supplements and cheaper versions. I can't say the high end always are better than the cheaper. The methyl form of B12 is supposed to be better but I did not feel any better on it and my levels did not increase anymore than when I was on the cheaper version. B12 was a life-changer for me.

I often use vitacost.com and get (too many) emails about their specials. I also check the drug store circulars for specials, especially BOGO. I usually buy higher priced fish or krill oil, as well as probiotics, so I'm always on the look out for specials. When I see them, I'll stock up.

I don't know what to tell you about B12, I get mine from liver, but Biokult is the probiotic I see recommended (or fermented foods) and fermented cod liver oil is what I use for Vit D, get it from Green Pastures.

I love the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil from Green Pastures when I can afford it :).  Otherwise we use Carlson's lemon flavored liquid.  We use homemade sauerkraut for probiotics or in a pinch, Bubbies which we get from Whole Foods.  When I am up to it I make coconut milk kefir.

Radiant Life has desiccated liver powder which we have used for B vitamins - usually mixed into food/soup of some kind, or on occasion mixed into orange juice. 

• 4 weeks later...

. I use Ultimate Flora from Renew Life for probiotics, and my kids use the chewable 3 billion cultures version (the kid's one is a great price). Ultimate Flora has a high bifido count, which is why it works so well for me.

I was just reading the reviews for Ultimate Flora on Amazon.  One person said they tested the product by dumping some into milk and seeing if the milk curdled.  It didn't do anything to the milk, so they concluded the bacteria were all dead.

Has anyone else tried this with this brand?  Did that person just get a bottle that got left out in the heat?  Or is there a better brand out there?  They all seem so expensive, a cheaper option would be nice.  But maybe the cheap ones don't work? 

For a child with ADD, you may want to listen to Dianne Craft's Biology of Behavior and try the brands she has in her online store. I don't buy them from her store as they are much cheaper from amazon or Swansons or drugstore.com. But I follow her protocol for our ds8 and it has really seemed to help when we are faithful. We only started about 2 months ago and were away for a month so just started back faithfully. It seems like the 5HTP has helped a lot. We do a triple dose of fish oil as I've read from many sources that boys in particular need that much. So he takes a regular dose of that three times a day. http://stores.diannecraft.org/nutritional-supplements/