Menu

"Recipe" or "Menu" Binders vs Pinterest/Blog/Digital, etc.. Preference? Why?

1pageatatime

I don't like having my laptop in the kitchen while I'm cooking, so I don't like the idea of having all my stuff digital. (I don't have an iPad, I don't know that I'd want that in there, either, though. I'm messy in the kitchen!) I recently contemplated re-doing all my cards and making a binder, but I really didn't have the energy to do that and didn't want to spend the money on the binder, page protectors, printables, etc. I also don't know that I love the idea of a binder. So, I decided to stay with the recipe card system. I took the looseleaf recipes I've printed and re-printed them as index card size. I seriously culled my recipes and now I have everything in my recipe box. I am much happier.

Both!!

I treasure all of my hard copy recipes and cookbooks.

But, for the last 15 years I've used MasterCook and input just about every recipe I've made. I've created 6 volumes of hard copy cookbooks over the years that I've given as xmas gifts to family and friends from those recipes (as well as recipes from others).

When I want to make a recipe, it goes into MC and I print it out and head to the kitchen. After I've made the recipe, I go back into MC and move the recipe into the current cookbook that I'm working on. I can add any notes or changes I made to the recipe. 

One of my favorite "hobbies" is to browse recipes online. I spend waaaaay too much time doing this,but I LOVE it. When I find a recipe I think I'll want to try at some point in the future (and I find a lot of them), I copy it into the appropriate MasterCook cookbook. Then I can go into MC when I'm ready to try something new and either I remember a specific recipe or I can search by title, ingredient, etc. This way, I don't have lots of paper floating around as I only print the recipe when I'm ready to make it. 

I do both.

My recipe binder only as recipes we have tried and decided are "keepers". As each of my kids move out, I'm going to bind a copy of it and give as a first housewarming gift. It's kept in the kitchen with my few cookbooks for ease of use.

I also have a food board on pinterest that I put lots and lots of recipes I want to try. When I try them and decide they are keeper, I print and put in binder.

The Internet and electronic devices have the nasty habit of going POOF! without notice. So I don't mind using them, but for anything I really want to keep? I try to keep a hard copy.

Both.  I prefer a book, but I detest smudges.  It doesn't seem nostalgic to me, just dirty.  They are also bulky to store and if not organized properly (really who has time?) they can be hard to sort through.  The internet is used more frequently.  We have a computer hooked to a projector so I can throw it up on the wall in full view from which I cook.  I do find myself looking up the same recipe again and again, though.  So again organization.

From reading what I just wrote, it sounds like I just need to get organized. LOL!

I like print copies. I have small photo albums for different areas.

Pinterest is a link to other people's digital content. I have no control over how long that content is available. Not to mention Pinterest covers its butt by telling you to only copy content you have the authority to copy, so if someone sues them for copyright infringement it will fall on you...not them. 

I have some digital copies, but I don't like having a laptop in the kitchen. Its not fun to clean flour, oil, or water out of the keys. 

Something like Eat Your Books is pretty cool (basically a digital cookbook indexing system). I like that better than a digital recipe system. I can narrow things down and then cook out of the book. 

Both.  I have some favorite cookbooks, and also a binder with recipes handwritten, printed off the internet, cut from newspapers and magazines..   But since I got my Kindle I've started saving recipes I come across online in Evernote, and use that sometimes. 

I also have some recipes on Pinterest but I tend to forget about that.  I should move them into Evernote; I find that easier to use somehow. 

ETA.  Just read the post directly above mine.  Good point about Pinterest but I guess it's the same when saving a link in Evernote - or is it?

Both.  I prefer a book, but I detest smudges.  It doesn't seem nostalgic to me, just dirty. 

I keep mine in sheet protectors. No smudges. Stays as clean as the day I printed it. And I can take just the sheet out and lay it on the counter instead of the entire binder, without making a mess of the paper.

Digital. Anything written on paper will eventually get lost. My mom and grandma don't use recipes, so they don't have any to hand down that are written on paper.

I used to use Plan To Eat and Pinterest, but the internet signal downstairs is kind of sketchy so I don't like to rely on those. Now, I'll browse Pinterest but if there's one I've tried and like, I'll put it in my Evernote account by using their web clipper. I much prefer Evernote because it will sync on my phone, tablet and computers. I don't need to worry about what is located where, I just grab the one closest or with the most charge.

Also, once something is copied into Evernote, it is there forever. This is helpful as Pinterest links often go bad or to the wrong place, making all those pins useless