Menu

Is your dining table decorated?

We have a beautiful table that used to belong to my grandparents. Since I don't want it ruined by the kids, it almost always has a fading navy blue table cloth and then a plastic tablecloth on top of that. We have just the one table, so it's home to all meals and most home schooling. We actually take table cloths OFF for holidays as the table is so pretty! But here's the decoration part (typical home school): there is a big periodic table underneath the plastic table cloth that's been there since we did chemistry 3 years ago! We still use it too. My older dd can name most of the elements if you give her an atomic number!

I keep a vase of flowers on the dining room table.  It's my aim to have fresh flowers from the garden from February to September.  The dining room is also the front hall, so I try to keep it looking pleasant.

But I don't home educate any longer, and the boys use another table for their homework.

L

My preference is fresh, cut flowers in a nice vase or bowl. My main dining room is a large sunroom off of the kitchen, any more than that on a regular basis would look very out of place with the view of the naturescape through the windows. Of course clean and clear is much preferable to the bits of paper and school stuff left about (its current state).

If I had a formal dining room, it would probably have cloths and a formal centerpiece/display.

It used to be, I had different placemats, napkins, chargers and centerpieces for each season. Then I had kids, and well...ain't nobody got time for that! Cleaning and resetting it for each meal was a total pain. Then we moved into a house with an eat in kitchen and I use our dining room as the school room, so it's not like we have a formal space anymore.

I've seen the fancy tablescapes and am wondering if people really have their tables done up and decorated like that all the time? (I personally know one person who does have theirs done up.) I realize that a homeschool forum is probably one of the worst places to ask this, as I know many of us use our tables for schooling. But, curious, nonetheless. :)

Our table always has placemats and a centrepiece -- either something I put together with candles and some greenery, or a vase of flowers on a decorative mat/pad, or sometimes potted bulbs, especially in winter. 

Yes, it is also used for homeschooling, but I like something pretty and natural to look at, too.

Yep, we have a formal dining room that is mostly for looks, used a couple times a year. Our eat in kitchen' s table always has placemats, wax warmer in center, but right now a vase of daisies.  BUT, everyone's lives are so different, I believe to each her own. I need neatness to feel together, you may not. And it's all good.

I have a vinyl Christmas table cloth with a gold colored cloth on top of it. I don't have a table pad and I don't want the wood ruined by spilled drinks. The only vinyl one I had has xmas on it. I waited 20+ years to actually HAVE a dining room table and I don't want it totally destroyed. I do have two candle lamps and place mats down that normally look nice. But on top of those I have school books and a lovely and large birds nest that I pulled out of my bbq grill. We have been waiting for the babies to fly the coop and they finally have, so we removed the nest from the grill (which made DH happy) and now it's on the dining room table so we can finish up our baby bird watching project. 

I've seen the fancy tablescapes and am wondering if people really have their tables done up and decorated like that all the time? (I personally know one person who does have theirs done up.) I realize that a homeschool forum is probably one of the worst places to ask this, as I know many of us use our tables for schooling. But, curious, nonetheless. :)

While we do use our dining room table a lot for schooling, I always clear it off immediately after. I'm not one who likes clutter or for one part of life to take over our whole house. We eat dinner at that table and I like it pretty.

Nothing elaborate on the table - just fresh flowers in a vase and a St. Francis candle.

We have two tables.  On the rectangular table (in the living room, in front of the bay window) there's a fruit bowl and two silver candlesticks.  On the round table (in the dining/breakfast room) I have a smaller fruit bowl.

I try to use pretty placemats, napkins, and napkin rings at dinner so that the dinner table looks nice.  

Clearly we don't homeschool anymore. :)  The days of having piles of books on the table are long gone.