Menu

Need some tips for tangles. Wavy/curly fine but thick hair.

JudoMom

I'm sorry this picture is huge. This is my youngest. His hair tangles something awful. We've been using a wide tooth comb and detangler spray (we've got Aussie brand now), but the longer his hair gets, the more stubborn the tangles. I usually make him comb it, but it's getting more difficult for him to do. It took me about 10 minutes to get it combed this morning. He plays hard with lots of time on the trampoline flipping, lots of wrestling with his brothers, etc.

Do any of you all have tips to help manage his hair? I've offered to cut it off, but he really, really, really likes it long. We live in a dry climate, so he doesn't shower daily unless he needs it.

397870_4725710780603_1362182549_n.jpg

Love it! My 6yr old has long-ish curly hair too, and so did my oldest before he wanted regular buzz cuts. I too have curly hair. The trick for us us to use a moisturizing shampoo (I use natural products only and coconut and Shea butter work great), followed by a conditioner for dry hair, followed by a leave-in conditioning cream, not spray. We comb after washing, and only wash it every 3 days at most. When we comb it out in the mornings before leaving the house I always wet it a bit.

If he's not willing to cut it or tie it back, he's just going to have to deal with the tangles (speaking as someone who had thick wavy hair that was long enough to sit on as a teenager.). Conditioner can help somewhat, but it's not magic. Definitely try to comb it out in the morning and at night if it's taking that long.

Avon has a detangler spray for kids that I use on DD. She has ringlets that are constantly getting tangled and despises having her hair brushed. I can only keep her still for 3 minutes tops, and the spray has been a huge help in getting her hair untangled quickly.

Well, I have lived with curly hair all my life and have children with curly hair. We only comb hair when it is wet and has conditioner in it. Otherwise, it is too tangled. So, that means that if they are going to comb their hair (dd sometimes wears hers up the 2nd day without combing it) they have to wet it down. Also, start about an inch from the ends and work your way up. That means comb out that bottom inch. Then move up an half inch and comb out. Keep moving up. This means that the tangles don't aggregate. Based upon his picture, thought, I would probably brush it using the bottom-up method.Then wet it a little to control any frizz.

If he's not willing to cut it or tie it back, he's just going to have to deal with the tangles (speaking as someone who had thick wavy hair that was long enough to sit on as a teenager.). Conditioner can help somewhat, but it's not magic. Definitely try to comb it out in the morning and at night if it's taking that long.

Avon has a detangler spray for kids that I use on DD. She has ringlets that are constantly getting tangled and despises having her hair brushed. I can only keep her still for 3 minutes tops, and the spray has been a huge help in getting her hair untangled quickly.

I agree. Keeping it tied back or covered is the only really effective way to keep tangles out.

Brushing it several times a day keeps the tangles from getting out of control.

My DD wears a silky nightcap to bed at night an that helps immensely.

I agree. Keeping it tied back or covered is the only really effective way to keep tangles out.

Brushing it several times a day keeps the tangles from getting out of control.

My DD wears a silky nightcap to bed at night an that helps immensely.

Where do you get the nightcap? He's an active sleeper, so I think this might help.

My disabled dd's hair is fine and curly and can become a major rat's nest. It's always up, even for bedtime. Usually a ponytail but sometimes 2 braids. When I do it in the morning, a use a spray bottle with just water in it to wet it down and then comb it with a wide-tooth comb. Then I can use a brush to get the fine tangles out, then up into the pony tail.

Brushing curly hair while it is wet generally helps quite a bit. My mom always had spray bottles of water around (she still does, her hair is curly) Even now I wet my hair before I mess with it, using detangler should help as well. I don't usually get crazy rat nests in my hair anymore (heh) but I think it helps to get a bunch of conditioner in it, then gently comb it out starting with the bottom and working your way up, once it is nice and smooth then rinse it out and leave it alone.

I use a very wide tooth comb, like this; http://www.sallybeau...default,pd.html

Also, regular shampooing isn't good for curly hair. I would recommend the curly girl method. Perhaps call it the curly headed handsome man method or something? :lol:

The Wet Brush! I have probably ten around my house and cars... I have long, fine, thick curly hair. The Tangle thing that looks like a horse curry brush did not work for us (but one of my cats loves it!). I've ordered the Wet Brush from amazon and recently grabbed another from a random dangly display at Kroger. They work great on wet or dry hair.

I braid mine at night to keep it from getting tangled, but a low ponytail with a soft elastic worked when it was shorter. Use conditioner when he shampoos. I don't think the no-poo method would get the crud out of my kid's hair. You can make your own detangler spray by mixing a dollop of conditioner with water in a spray bottle. Detangler or leave in conditioner makes my hair limp and sad, but YMMV.

Gorgeous hair on that kiddo! :)

He's a cutie and my son has had long hair too. I told both my kids at one point if we didn't get tangles out at least once daily, we would have to cut their hair. They could do it, or sit while I did it. Both my kids got a haircut at one point, and when they grew it out from that point, they were much more willing to take care of it. My dd has hair half way down her back now. My son's hair got to the point where he was going to have to put it in a pony tail for sports/activities and then he decided to keep it a little shorter (it actually isn't much shorter than your son's right now). If you get the knots out at least once daily and keep it conditioned, it's much easier to maintain it.

Where do you get the nightcap? He's an active sleeper, so I think this might help.

I have two. I got one at walmart and the other at Sally's. They are both the same brand, found in the ethnic hair care section. There is also one that is more of a wrap but DD had better luck with the cap style staying on all night.

my hair tangled something fierce when I was growing up. detangler sprays weren't worth much then. Do you use conditioner - every time? After I started using one, in sufficient quantity (as in slathered it on and thoroughly saturated my hair before rinsing) - I rarely had a problem again.

I know everyone's saying "more conditioner," but I'll throw out one other thing to watch for, especially if you're already using a lot of conditioner. My DD tends to get a really terrible waxy buildup in her hair, and that makes the tangles 100x worse (think of wikki stix rubbing against one another--eek!). I'm not sure why it gets so bad for her, when we all use the same conditioner (and my hair is thick and curly too), but if I don't stay on top of that, her tangles are terrible. You might want to try a clarifying shampoo on his hair for the next wash or two and see if that helps.

And he is definitely a cutie pie. I love the look of joy on his face in that picture!

His hair looks just like my older daughters. We have found that she has to shower every day and wash her hair or the tangles are completely unmanageable. Sometimes it is the full shampoo and conditioner routine, sometimes it is just conditioner and sometimes we use baking soda/applee cider vinegar/etc to strip the buildup out of it but it has to be every day.

The other thing we do is always put it up if she is being really active. Generally she just puts it in a ponytail and then only pulls it halfway through the band the last time so it is in a sort of bun and tied up off her neck. For the most active times I have to throw it in a french braid or resign myself to the fight that will ensue when it's time to brush it before bed.