Menu

3 microwaves in 6 months

Pegasus

Back in late December, our trusty microwave of close to 10 years stopped working. DH replaced it with an inexpensive microwave from Sears. Within a couple weeks, the door latch broke so that when we pushed the button, the door wouldn't open. We still had the receipt and took it back. We then bought the most expensive microwave at our local Walmart. It is a Panasonic, the same brand we were originally replacing.

Now, 6 months later, the door latch is failing. We have to close the door several times to get the latch to catch and the microwave to sense that the door is closed so that it will run. We are looking for the receipt but I'm not sure if we will find it.

I have questions:

1. Are we unusually harsh on door latches?!? It seems odd that two different microwaves of different brands and different price points failed in the same mechanism. But then why did our other microwave last so long?

2. I'm thinking we need a microwave that you just pull the door open, rather than a button to open the door. Would that be less likely to break? Do they still sell such a model?

3. Given the time span (several months) and the potentially lost receipt, is there any hope in taking the microwave back to Walmart for a refund or exchange?

I appreciate any feedback, advice, or even commiseration.

Pegasus

This might not be the type of answer you want.......but here goes anyway. We lost several microwaves in quick succession a few years ago due to lightning and just gave up. Haven't used one in years and don't miss it. Have heard that microwaving isn't very healthy since it "activates" the food molecularly rather than just heating. Don't know about that .........but it makes me feel better not using it anyway. Maybe it's "a sign"?!! (Big grin )

2. I'm thinking we need a microwave that you just pull the door open, rather than a button to open the door. Would that be less likely to break? Do they still sell such a model?

Can't answer any of the other parts, but yes, they do still make them like this. We have a Kenmore we got from Kmart that is like that. It comes in white and red, I think. It is a smaller one, but actually heats things faster than my mom's big one. We really like it.

We wouldn't want to not have a microwave. It's way too convenient for so many things. But we don't have great luck with them. Not as bad as you, but it seems like we usually need to buy a new one every three years or so. It's been several microwaves ago since we had one where you had to push a button to get it to open, so I'd say models with handles are widely available. We always seem to have issues with the motors or some sort of electrical issue. Ours right now is making a funny squeaking/whistling sound when it runs for more than 20 seconds or so.

I don't know about returning it after so long. If you have a receipt then maybe. It would certainly be worth a try. If you put it on a credit card, maybe you could find a record of the purchase there? Alternatively, you could try to find an authorized Panasonic repair center. It should still be under warranty.

I have one with a handle, its from Emerson. I always just buy the cheapest one Target is selling.

I think my current one is about 8 years old. My last one must have lasted 15 years.

We buy the cheap ones with handles too. I think the current one is a Danby. It's about 8 years old and every once I awhile it needs an extra push to close the door securely but that's it.

Look up the Walmart return policy. It says most items have a 90-day return policy. There are some exceptions. And they always allow you to return something without receipt. If it's under $25 they'll give you a cash refund. If it's over $25 they give you an in-store credit card. Or they allow an even exchange. I guess without a receipt, they wouldn't know it was 6 months old, would they? I don't know how they would know that.

Thanks for the input, everyone. We were at Walmart today and asked about their return policy. As stated by the PP, it is 90 days. She suggested we pursue the 1-year warranty with Panasonic. Suspect we'd need the receipt for that too though but we'll at least contact them.

Our next microwave will have a handle!

Not to be a buzzkill but we had to repair the handle on our microwave 4 times in 5 years and just scrapped it when we moved. We are not hard on our stuff and the microwave was out of reach of children. It was just a POS.

I had several hand mixers break. Then I bought an ancient one from Goodwill for 3 bucks. It's a workhorse and just goes and goes. They do not build this stuff to last anymore.

I've been considering getting a new microwave but I just have a hard time spending money on something I can almost count on breaking!

We bought an LG microwave/convection oven - best kitchen purchase of my life! When it is hot outside, I can still make muffins for the kids and the kitchen doesn't get all heated up like it does when we use the oven. If I could get a turkey or a pizza into that thing I would never use my oven. There is no button to open it, just tug the handle.

We bought an LG microwave/convection oven - best kitchen purchase of my life! When it is hot outside, I can still make muffins for the kids and the kitchen doesn't get all heated up like it does when we use the oven. If I could get a turkey or a pizza into that thing I would never use my oven. There is no button to open it, just tug the handle.

I have over-the-stove microwave, also. We have not had one last 2 years yet, and we've been in the house for 9 years. We are on our 5th. The first one came with the house and they tried to fix it under the home warranty, but couldnt, so they offered us one from them at a discount. But no installation. We tried to install it ourselves, couldnt, hired a handy man . .. i think everyone put too much pressure on it, because the handle started to fall off, and then the whole door. The next one had electrical problems. The light stopped, some of the numbers wouldnt work. Eventually it totally stopped. The last one started sparking and leaking liquid. they dont make them like they used to, i think. The spare, in the laundry room, is over 10 years old . . .

I have over-the-stove microwave, also. We have not had one last 2 years yet, and we've been in the house for 9 years. We are on our 5th. The first one came with the house and they tried to fix it under the home warranty, but couldnt, so they offered us one from them at a discount. But no installation. We tried to install it ourselves, couldnt, hired a handy man

When we had this house built we had the wiring done for an over-the-stove microwave (thinking resale down the road), but we chose to get a counter top model in order to avoid the extra hassle of replacing a built-in when the time came. 'Cause we knew given our lack of luck with microwave longevity ours would need replacing frequently. And that's been true--we've lived here seven years, are on our second microwave and it's making weird noises. I'm glad when we need to replace we don't have to worry about finding one to fit or paying anyone to help with installation.

I have an Amana Radarange (Spelling?) purchased in 1996 and still working. I like it so much that when we built our home in 2003 I insisted that we just put our microwave on the counter and not purchase a new built-in. I have been so happy with this one that I would purchase another if it gives out.

The same thing happened to us with a Panasonic microwave oven that we bought this year. And we're apparently in good company...try googling something about Panasonic microwaves and door latches. In some cases people have been able to fix the latch and they explain how they did it. (My dh tried to fix ours after reading the stuff online but it didn't work for us, and I bought an Oster with a handle at Bed Bath and Beyond.)

I refuse to get one with a button door-opener. When our last one died after 8 years I had the worst time finding a counter-top model in white with a handle. I finally did find one, but it doesn't have a "minute" button - we always have to program in the time even for very small increments. There are a couple of other features that I don't like about it, but it still works after 3 years. It is a Hamilton Beach.