Menu

What are the 5 TTC videos you couldn't homeschool without

There are a lot of good ones. In my experience, it's worth visiting the site and looking at the ratings. After listening to a few duds that scored less than four full stars, now I only buy or request from the library those with between 4-5 stars. FWIW, we only use the audio versions so that we can listen while we eat, do chores, or travel.

The favorites here so far have been Great Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt (Bob Brier's other course is also highly rated, but we didn't use it); all of Philip Daileader's courses on the Middle Ages (Early M.A., High M.A., Late M.A.); and Foundations of Western Civilization II.

We have not used any as videos, but prefer audio.

Our favorite courses so far:

anything by Elizabeth Vandiver, particularly Iliad and Odyssey

the three Middle Ages courses by Philipp Daileader

How to listen to and understand great music by Robert Greenberg

I could homeschool without all of those, but it's more fun to have them.

There are a lot of good ones. In my experience, it's worth visiting the site and looking at the ratings. After listening to a few duds that scored less than four full stars, now I only buy or request from the library those with between 4-5 stars. FWIW, we only use the audio versions so that we can listen while we eat, do chores, or travel.

The favorites here so far have been Great Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt (Bob Brier's other course is also highly rated, but we didn't use it); all of Philip Daileader's courses on the Middle Ages (Early M.A., High M.A., Late M.A.); and Foundations of Western Civilization II.

We also liked Great Pharoahs by Bob Brier. We tired his longer series about Egypt but didn't complete it. I think it was because we only had the audio version so it didn't hold interest as well.

I think it depends on you and yours. Some folks will want videos to go with their favorite subjects, others will want them to spice up disliked subjects or to help explain unfathomable subjects.

Also don't underestimate how cheap a set is when on sale and as the audio download.

I do think the Anatomy and Physiology course is good (used for ds2 and dd)...Vandiver (sorry I'll get back with the details) dd loved (ds3 was already out of the house), How to be a Superstar Student...Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition

Joan

This thread is going to make me want the Middle Ages set. We're doing Middle Ages next year.

If your budget is a bit tight for all three of Daileader's sets on the Middle Ages, Dorsey Armstrong has one whose name eludes me right now, but it is well-done and suitable for younger high school students and late middle school. I don't mean appropriateness, but level of sophistication.

Like regentrude, I could homeschool without them, but they do add extra depth and interest to our studies.

If you are going to read Homer, it would be helpful to have at least The Iliad from Elizabeth Vandiver. I think it would be too easy to miss significant parts of the work without the cultural clues that Vandiver provides. But then we are card-carrying members of the Elizabeth Vandiver fan club as I have yet to meet one of her lecture series that I didn't learn from and really enjoy. The good news is that when on sale this is one of the least expensive courses available.

TTC is The Teaching Company, or TheGreatCourses.com.

Hmmm, my favorites and my homeschooled student's favorites differ. I'd guess HE would say:

1. Physics In Your Life (9th grade science)

2. The Iliad, by VanDiver (ancient literature, 9th grade)

3. How to Write About Anything (English, 11th grade)

4. Augustine (middle literature, 10th grade)

5. Physics Beyond the Edge (9th grade science)

I picked those because I can't think of any others he's watched 100%. I've pulled in individual lectures from MANY other sets, but not had time for many whole series, or in a couple cases he balked (Shakespeare Word & Action taught ME a ton but he had an aversion to the theatrical style). He asked for a couple on fitness but I haven't seen him watch them, I'll have to ask. Two more I've watched and would really like to fit into 12th grade but they are so LONG:

1. Anatomy & physiology

2. Economics, by Tim Taylor

Julie

We've really enjoyed these:

Understanding the World's Greatest Structures -- Ressler

This course was some physics, mostly civil engineering, with some history thrown in. He uses a lot of great models and photos, so it's not available on audio only. If you look at the reviews, this course has 5 stars and 152 of 152 reviewers would recommend it. It was just superb.

Great Debate: Advocates & Opponents of the American Constitution -- Pangle

Tocqueville & the American Experiment -- Cook

We used both of these as the basis for our 1/2 credit American Govt course. They were also fantastic -- a much deeper look at the Constitution and our government than any standard high school text woud give. They explain the "whys" of the Constitution and how these manifest themselves in American institutions.

World's Greatest Paintings -- Kloss

We used this set as part of a high school art credit. This one is also very highly rated.

We also enjoyed the Vandiver audio lectures on The Aeneid.

HTH,

Brenda

SuperStar Student (we did the old one - don't know what the new one is like)

High School Chemistry (I swear, his stoichiometry lessons were the best we ran across, and we did a LOT of chemistry!)

Ferdinand & Isabella (You would not believe how much of this ended up on the World History SAT subject test this last Saturday...)

History of Mathematics (If you ever want to know the WHY behind things, this is it)

History of Western Civilization (absolutely huge, not for everyone, but DANG - how incredibly interesting! Got my kid completely hooked!)

a

Looking over the courses and drooling...but MAN they're expensive! Our whole year of schooling inclusive is 495.00.

If you get on their email list you'll get massive discount offers - 75 percent+ off.

a

Looking over the courses and drooling...but MAN they're expensive! Our whole year of schooling inclusive is 495.00.

I don't think anybody ever pays full price- they constantly have sales. 70% off is standard; you'll just have to wait for your course to be discounted. 85% off is a "good" sale, what you want to shoot for.

The lowest prices are just after Christmas.

Never pay full price for a TC course. It's all about (slightly) delayed gratification.

I don't think anybody ever pays full price- they constantly have sales. 70% off is standard; you'll just have to wait for your course to be discounted. 85% off is a "good" sale, what you want to shoot for.

The lowest prices are just after Christmas.

Never pay full price for a TC course. It's all about (slightly) delayed gratification.

I was watching this for ideas and wanted to also mention that you can often find them used on Amazon as well.

We love Bob Brier - pick any of his on Egypt. But number one would be a course by J. Rufus Fears. Doesn't really matter which one. He is a wonderful lecturer.

Other than directly from the company you can try used book and video stores, Amazon, ebay, and such. Prices do vary. Many libraries have or have access to them.

We've really enjoyed these:

Understanding the World's Greatest Structures -- Ressler

This course was some physics, mostly civil engineering, with some history thrown in. He uses a lot of great models and photos, so it's not available on audio only. If you look at the reviews, this course has 5 stars and 152 of 152 reviewers would recommend it. It was just superb.

DS is viewing this TTC video now and greatly enjoying it.

I have a tiny budget for Great Courses. Sometimes I've bought the deeply discounted ones, like 2.95 for the audio with a coupon. I prioritize why I want a lecture series and can I find something comparable for free?

We used Vandiver for Iliad and Odyssey this year and I know I paid less then 10.00 for each. Even though I had read both books before, the lectures made a world of difference for both of us.

One question I ask about choosing, is this something I believe is important but feel like I can't convey that importance to ds without helps?

I also take ds's level of interest in a subject into mind. A 48 lecture series on subject X may be too in depth for him, but a 12 lecture series may not be enough for a full year. I also look at contents of lectures, can I use it over multiple years, using only what I need? I'll be using the Masterpieces of Short Fiction in that manner, I think I paid 2.95 or 4.95 for it.

I also look for book titles by the same lecturer. I really want one of the series on linguistics for next year. It's not in the budget, even at the discounts I've been seeing. There is book that the lectures are based upon, it's 10.00, I can do that. It will take us longer to get through the material with similar coverage.