Menu

Food cultures and allergies around the world?

mommymilkies

I have a few International friends, but I have never been fortunate to travel outside of the USA, myself. I was thinking last night about travel with my kids one of these days. I have a friend from France (we met when she was an exchange student) and that went to college in Spain and now works and lives in Dublin. Besides my eternal jealousy, I can't help but notice what a non-issue food is with her when we talk. It seems like such a huge topic here in the states, but it's such a non-issue there for her.

We have a few food intolerances and allergies, so eating is complicated. But I'm eternally curious about eating habits and how food allergies/intolerances are dealt with in other countries. So even if you don't deal with allergies, can you satisfy my curiosity? :D Hungry Planet is a good book, but not as good as conversation.

1. Location-general is ok, don't worry about posting your GPS for us. ;)

2. Are kids usually allowed to eat free range or only what is set aside for them? (Yes, I know there is variation, but in general or where you are specifically.)

3. Do you eat three main meals a day or is there snacking allowed/encouraged?

4. Is the afternoon or evening meal the heaviest for you?

5. Are food allergies/intolerances often diagnosed? If so, do you know which ones are most common?

6. Is food allergy awareness common or is it brushed off?

7. Is gluten intolerance getting to be a "big deal" where you're at?

8. What's a general day's food commonly like in your area? For example, for most people I personally know here in the states, it is Breakfast-cereal, Lunch-sandwich and chips, Dinner-pizza/spaghetti/hamburger sort of theme, snacks-packaged crackers, cookies, apples, bananas...

9. Any idea what the most common illnesses are by you (non-contagious-things like asthma/diabetes/etc.)?

Great topic!

1- Location- Bangalore, India

2- Children (above 3/4) eat the same food as adults. I don't know what free range means in this context? If it means children can choose what/how/when of eating....sometimes yes, sometimes no.

3-My DD eats bfast+lunch+dinner that iscommon to all in the family. She can choose her own snacks most of the time (unless she has gone overboard on junk). These food habits are followed in families in the same demographic.

4- Afternoon

5-Asthma is common here (environmental reasons...pollen, dust). Food intolerances are unheard of. In fact, I got to know of 'peanut allergies etc.. when I moved to the U.S.

6- I don't know of any Indian with a food allergy. (I've lived in 2 multi cultural metros)

7- Haven't met an Indian with a gluten intolerance yet.

8- snacks are traditional in smaller cities. Depends on the state/region because food habits vary *widely*.

Usually, every meal has carbs (rice, roti) a vegetable (a curry) and dal. Common to lunch and dinner. Breakfast is usually something made with grains.

9-diabetes runs in my side of the family. So does a genetic marker for thyroid disease. DH's side has been blessed with great genes and fantastic health (knock on wood)

1. Location

Germany

2. Are kids usually allowed to eat free range or only what is set aside for them?

Kids (except for very little ones) eat the normal food everybody eats. There are some special kid foods (cereal yoghurts), but mainly they eat the normal stuff.

Three main meals, two smaller meals (2nd breakfast, afternoon meal)

No. The midday meal is the big meal. (Changes slowly, more families start cooking at night, but traditionally, lunch is the warm cooked meal. Kids can eat a meal at school, adults at the cafeteria at work. )

5. Are food allergies/intolerances often diagnosed? If so, do you know which ones are most common?

Much less frequently than in the US, judging from how few people I know who have allergies in Germany vs US (of the people I know in Germany, only a single person has food allergies)

The statistics I have seen for Germany list 1-2% of adults suffering from a food allergy, and 8% of children.

The numbers are higher for food intolerance as opposed to allergy.

The most common ones seem to be dairy and eggs.

People are aware, foods are labeled, but it is not a big public discussion, presumably since they are not as wide spread.

No.

8. What's a general day's food commonly like in your area?

Breakfast: bread/rolls with butter and jam/honey; cereal, yoghurt, milk

2nd breakfast (what kids take to school): sandwich, apple, vegetables, yoghurt

lunch: meat/fish, potatoes/pasta/rice, veggies/salad

afternoon snack: cake/ rolls

dinner: sandwich with cheese, ham, salami, cold cuts; salad, vegetables

9. Any idea what the most common illnesses are by you (non-contagious-things like asthma/diabetes/etc.)?

Cardiovascular. High blood pressure.

I am an American living in Malaysia.

2. Are kids usually allowed to eat free range or only what is set aside for them? (Yes, I know there is variation, but in general or where you are specifically.)

Well, kids eat what their parents eat. In my house and in the community at large, I don't see anyone making different meals for each child in the family. Most people here do not have that kind of money.

3. Do you eat three main meals a day or is there snacking allowed/encouraged? Both. We have 3 meals but snacks are common and allowed.

4. Is the afternoon or evening meal the heaviest for you? No. Dinner is still the biggest meal.

No, almost not at all. In fact, my son's peanut allergy is almost unheard of here and I had to get Epi-pens from the states because they don't have them in this country.

I wouldn't say it is brushed off... Just so uncommon that no one really thinks about it.

Only among the American ex-pats. The locals think the gluten-free thing is really weird.

8. What's a general day's food commonly like in your area? For example, for most people I personally know here in the states, it is Breakfast-cereal, Lunch-sandwich and chips, Dinner-pizza/spaghetti/hamburger sort of theme, snacks-packaged crackers, cookies, apples, bananas...

Breakfast- oatmeal, congee, Nasi lemak, dosa, bee hoon, roti canai

Lunch- rice, chicken, veggies, noodles, fish, mutton, eggs

Dinner- same as lunch but larger portions

Diabetes is a HUGE issue here. But obesity is not. There are very few overweight people here. Also, lactose intolerance is big among the Asians here so they don't get a lot of calcium and they seem to get broken bones really easily. I am shocked how many students have broken arms in one year here after very minor falls!

1. Location Don't live there now, but grew up in Japan and still have friends there..

2. Are kids usually allowed to eat free range or only what is set aside for them? (Yes, I know there is variation, but in general or where you are specifically.) Kids are encouraged to eat a wide variety of foods - usually presented in small amounts. Foods are not what we would call "kid friendly". Ironically, Japanese parents are shocked that we would require our kids to eat such difficult foods as peanut butter.

3. Do you eat three main meals a day or is there snacking allowed/encouraged? 3 main meals as well as snacks.

4. Is the afternoon or evening meal the heaviest for you? Not totally sure on this one. Lunch and dinner are pretty similar in content.

5. Are food allergies/intolerances often diagnosed? If so, do you know which ones are most common? Food allergies have become more common in recent years - milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts, soybeans, sesame and buckwheat are what are listed as the top allergens by the Ministry of Health.

6. Is food allergy awareness common or is it brushed off? Not brushed off. 30 years ago, I only knew of one child with a food allergy - to rice of all things. Now as food allergies have become more common, food allergy awareness is growing.

7. Is gluten intolerance getting to be a "big deal" where you're at? Wheat allergies but not gluten.

Varies. But this might be typical:

Breakfast - miso soup, rice, natto (fermented soy beans), a bit of grilled fish if you are eating "traditional". 1 inch. thick toast with butter and jam, yogurt, eggs, green salad if you are eating "modern style" (AKA - what they think of as American).

Snack - pudding cup

Lunch - (even at public school) - rice, pickled vegetables, chicken curry, milk, small mandarin orange

Snack - perhaps some rice crackers or an ice cream cup or fruit

Dinner - spaghetti with tomato sauce, salad

9. Any idea what the most common illnesses are by you (non-contagious-things like asthma/diabetes/etc.)? ,cancer, strokes, diabetes is increasing

UK

Not totally sure what you mean. I know a lot of people give their kids child friendly food like smiley face potato things and chicken nuggets and alot whose kids eat the same as the adults from when they are weaned. There is a trend towards healthy eating and most foods don't contain artificial colours or flavours etc anymore.

3 meals plus something mid afternoon normally.

Evening meal though I personally prefer a big meal at lunchtime it's just harder to do.

Lots of kids I know have allergies but It seems to have exploded recently. I don't think I knew any kids other than my sister with allergies/intolerences growing up. Peanut, gluten and milk seem common allergies.

6. Is food allergy awareness common or is it brushed off? Common

7. Is gluten intolerance getting to be a "big deal" where you're at? yes.

Probably this except a less fast food dinner. More meat and two veg or lasagna & salad or something.

9. Any idea what the most common illnesses are by you (non-contagious-things like asthma/diabetes/etc.)? asthma, type 2 diabetes, Thyroid things, liver disease, Heart disease. Just going from people I know.

South Africa

2. Are kids usually allowed to eat free range or only what is set aside for them?

Children eat what the family eats.

A middle-class family would have three meals a day with morning and afternoon snacks.

In our circles, typically the evening meal except where the father is close enough to go home for lunch.

5. Are food allergies/intolerances often diagnosed?

I don't know of anyone with a food allergy here, but interestingly two of our friends (seperate families) who have emigrated to Aurstralia are now gluten intolerant. I'm not sure that the gluten is more 'potent' in the wheat there, but there is also more wheat added to things like sausages and more processed food available, so that people who are susceptible get more than they can cope with.

It is not common, but it would not be brushed off. There are still very few gluten-free products available in the grocery store (compared to what I've seen overseas).

No, its not a big deal here.

It depends a lot on ethnicity (so our friends of Indian heritage would eat differently to a traditional Zulu family), but for us it is breakfast cereal or eggs for breakfast, sandwich or leftovers for lunch, dinner varies, but typically does include some meat. Fast foods and eating out are seen as a treat by most. Convenience foods are a lot more expensive than cooking from scratch.

Heart disease especially hypertension, diabetes.

1. Location-general is ok, don't worry about posting your GPS for us.

Recently left Kyrgyzstan.

Kids eat what adults eat.

Limited snacking, but basically three meals a day.

Depends- often the afternoon meal is the largest, but that's not necessarily a rule.

5. Are food allergies/intolerances often diagnosed?  If so, do you know which ones are most common?

Not common. In fact, practically unheard of unless you spend time with foreigners.

I get the sense that food allergeies would be seen as an unaffordable by most. Also, doctors aren't often trained to recognize them. Diets are pretty simple though already. It would be a major harship for many families to eliminate a staple because there literally would be nothing with which to replace it.

7.  Is gluten intolerance getting to be a "big deal" where you're at?

No.

8.  What's a general day's food commonly like in your area?  For example, for most people I personally know here in the states, it is Breakfast-cereal, Lunch-sandwich and chips, Dinner-pizza/spaghetti/hamburger sort of theme, snacks-packaged crackers, cookies, apples, bananas...

Breakfast might be hot cereal or potatoes or leftovers, lunch and dinner are usually the same with noodles, rice, potatoes, and root vegetables. Meat is traditional but usually a luxury now. Depending on the time of year, people eat more fruit and a wider variety of vegetables. Diets are very seasonal in Kyrgyzstan.

9.  Any idea what the most common illnesses are by you (non-contagious-things like asthma/diabetes/etc.)?

Not really sure.

I'll answer for Scotland and China

In Scotland children eat what their parents eat, or 'kiddy food' (fish fingers, sausages, etc.) I think most children browse the kitchen if they want to.

In China, children mostly eat exactly what their parents eat. Most would not take food from the kitchen - snacking is not common.

Scotland - lots of snacking

China - very little snacking

Scotland and China - evening meal normally heavier.

Scotland - some food allergies diagnosed, but I don't hear as much about it as I do on these boards.

China - allergy diagnosis is rare and serious allergies are not well understood. I do not recommend that people with severe allergies travel to China for this reason. ETA: a lot of people know themselves to have a problem digesting dairy; I've also heard lichee allergy being mentioned.

Scotland - fairly aware

China - barely aware

Scotland - the only person whom I know who avoids gluten (I don't know if it's an intolerance or a lifestyle choice - I respect it anyway) is American

China - never heard it mentioned

Scotland - similar to the US

China - breakfast congee (rice porridge with toppings), bread or yoghurt; lunch noodles or rice with veg and perhaps a small amount of egg, tofu or meat; supper a variety of stir-fried and stewed dishes, mostly veg-based and served with rice or noodles.

Scotland - similar to the US: diseases of affluence and poor diet/little exercise. Recent reports of high levels of MS, possibly linked to low light/Vit D levels.

China - diseases of patchy health care. Probably some deaths from allergy which are not fully reported. Lots of respiratory problems due to air pollution in cities. Health problems due to physical overwork in the countryside.

L

I'll answer for Slovakia although I don't live there now.

Usually what is set aside for them - kids eat like the adults. The wealthier or more westernized the family, the more this will change to be more free-range. But even then it's much less than in the US.

3 main meals with some snacking but not it isn't like clockwork or expected.

Somewhat based on lifestyle but traditionally the noon meal is the biggest & then a light supper.

Not common at all. People don't eat a lot of fish (mostly carp) or peanut products & milk isn't a staple like it is here - soy either. Lots of wheat is eaten.

In more urban areas its more known but it is pretty brushed-off.

Don't know but I suspect it isn't a big deal. Potato is a more common starch than wheat - except of course bread.

breakfast - hb eggs, bread & butter, tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe a hot cereal

lunch - potatoes with some sort of thick stew or meat, sometimes noodles with the same, chicken schnitzel, all with bread

dinner - lighter soup, smaller portion of lunch

snacks would be like a pastry (not as sweet as here) or a red pepper, fruit

diabetes & cancer primarily that I'm aware of, lots of smoking & alcoholism so disease from that is also common.

I'll answer for Morocco though I live in the US right now.

They eat what their parents eat (plus whatever else they want, in some families lol)

Typically 3 meals a day but snacking is allowed.

Afternoon, except in Ramadan.

No. Actually, I don't know any Moroccans with regular food allergies. A lot are lactose intolerant or may have mild dairy allergies but most continue to consume dairy anyway as it is often in the diet.

My observation has been that it is mostly brushed off though I've found people understanding if I reference lactose intolerance or dairy allergies.

No. I've only met a couple of people who were familiar with gluten intolerance.

Breakfast: tea, coffee, pastries, m'semmen, baghrir, eggs, yogurt, bread and jam/butter, amlou, sometimes a special type of soup dish...etc

Lunch: cold and warm vegetable salads, tagine and bread, couscous, or bastilla...etc

Dinner: same type of thing as lunch, harira, chabakia, and briewat in ramadan at first to break the fast.

Snacks: tea (often served multiple times throughout the day), pastries, fruit, smoothies/juices...there is also a lot of street food.

Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease are what I see a lot of. A lot of people have asthma that is going untreated as well.

It'd be interesting to know the differences in the preparation of wheat and dairy. Perhaps in the countries where it is uncommon to be allergic or intolerant of those things, the quality is better? I'm thinking about differences in bread. It's very difficult to find a bakery making good quality bread here, so I'd expect more wheat intolerances here than somewhere you can buy a good sourdough without additives on any street corner.

1. Location-

NC, US

No free range, they would only eat fruit and cheese

Breakfast at 7:00, fruit and cheese at 9:00, lunch at 11:00, veggies and dip at 3:00, dinner at 5:00.

We do both, if we are going to the pool at night, I make dinner for lunch

5. Are food allergies/intolerances often diagnosed?

If so, do you know which ones are most common? Red dye for us, we have a few friends with dairy allergies and one family that gluten issues

Common, I guess, we really don't discuss it that much

No, we only know one gluten free family out of probably 100

B: hot cereal, cold cereal, or bagels, L: sandwiches, or something bean based (toastados, burritos, quesadillas, chili), vegetable and fruit for kids and salads for adults, D: meat, two veggies, fruit, sometimes another carb for the kids like pasta or rice

We know two families with Type 1 diabetes, one family that has asthma, one family with cough variant asthma

This is fascinating! I live in the US but have lived overseas (Netherlands) many moons ago. Lots of bread and toppings plus sweets. I think that is one reason I Hate candy now.

Sounds like my kinda place! ;)

It'd be interesting to know the differences in the preparation of wheat and dairy. Perhaps in the countries where it is uncommon to be allergic or intolerant of those things, the quality is better? I'm thinking about differences in bread. It's very difficult to find a bakery making good quality bread here, so I'd expect more wheat intolerances here than somewhere you can buy a good sourdough without additives on any street corner.

This is one of the things I've been researching in my free time. It seems a lot of the wheat in the USA, in particular, are strains that have been bred more recently and vary hugely from a lot of what has been traditionally used around the world. Take the difference between Einkhorn wheat and modern wheat, for example. Italian studies have shown that even people with Celiac's can tolerate Einkhorn. Makes you wonder what we've done to the rest of the food. Such as ultra-pasteurization, using a few select heavy milking breeds, and growth hormones and antibiotics in the dairy industry.