Menu

Do you ever feel like replying to an ad on Cr@igsList

my2boysteacher

With an edited version of the original post? Here is an ad I came across when looking for chickens:

I HAVE ONE YEAR OLD ROAD ISLAND RED LAYING HEN'S.FOR SALE 5.DOLLERS EACH.

Thay lay the big brown egg's some times dobble youkers.

Thay have shots and debeked. Verry dependable layer's.Can pick up here.

send ph and how many

Sigh....a few kittens just bit the dust.

With an edited version of the original post? Here is an ad I came across when looking for chickens:

send ph and how many

I think an entire litter bit the dust. That's just a crying shame. I'd say I wish it was a child, but that would really just quash all dreams of a bright future... :unsure:

I see unremediated dyslexia. Which is very sad. That's like something my oldest would write now, and we are working hard to remediate. My grandfather writes like that, but he was born in a different time to different parents and joined the military at 16 because he was bad at school. (And really, not many other options in rural Alabama to a kid with an alcoholic mother whose father died before he was born in 1933 without dyslexia, but I digress...) He's very bright and reads voraciously, but his writing sucks.

Yes. It looks like pretty typical dyslexic mistakes. Or as another poster mentioned a non-native English speaker.

I'm sure my attempts at writing in another language would be pitiful. And I witness daily the struggle a dyslexic goes through.

My husband just yesterday advertised for a newly available position in his office. We got a gazillion resumes, and a few notes attached. One said, "I seen you ad..." (Thus we didn't see her resume.) One gave us a link to a "video resume." (No we're not looking for actresses. This is an administrative job). One sent us a "photo" of her resume. It didn't all fit, so I imagined what the cut off parts might have looked like. There was one hoping we could give her a "fresh start." She had extensive experience in "social media." (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and a few I hadn't heard of) Then there was the Hooters girl. I would've been tempted to leave that OFF the resume. I resume hole would've looked better! That one talked about making the customers feel comfortable and relaxed, maybe it was just me, and where my mind wandered to...

Yes! Worse yet when it is an ad for employment. I want to write back: "Yes, I can see you do need office help!"

I've done that increasingly often lately; never had anyone respond back :p

Then there was the Hooters girl. I would've been tempted to leave that OFF the resume. I resume hole would've looked better! That one talked about making the customers feel comfortable and relaxed, maybe it was just me, and where my mind wandered to...

Totally disturbed by this. I guess I had forgotten all about the judgements people make about other people, and that employers are flawed humans like everyone else. Not that I'm about to lie on my already meager resume...

My favorite ad I can remember (when we were horse shopping) was the one where they said the horse could, "lops around barrels in a pool." We assumed they meant it would lope barrels and poles (we were looking for a starter barrel horse for my 5yodd at the time, but we didn't go look at that one).

yup. It seems pretty bad especially on the farm boards.

I get one or two typos or misspells, but ,,,ohhhh my.

Rather than get judgmental, I picture a 75 year old man who had to drop out of his back woods school at age 12 to work to support his widowed mother and 12 siblings. Now he's trying to make extra money to supplement his SSI. :)

Then there was the Hooters girl. I would've been tempted to leave that OFF the resume. I resume hole would've looked better! That one talked about making the customers feel comfortable and relaxed, maybe it was just me, and where my mind wandered to...

Not for nothing, but Hooters girls transition great into admin jobs! Those skills she shared were poorly worded, but we've found them to be totally true. (Caveat: I'm not hiring for my husband - I'm all for making customers feel comfortable and relaxed ... a husband, not so much thankyou!)

I love hiring former waitresses and bartenders. They've already spent time honing skills I can't as easily teach (the art of dealing with the public). I can teach anyone to do just about any other skill - especially office/admin work!

I actually love those ads on Craigslist. I snag the best deals from poor spelling (dinning tables), and from ads which sit due to those of you who skip by the poor grammar and photos :) We're not all great at everything, and I can forgive anyone who will give me a good deal on something I want. Their "bad" ad saves me the hassle of humping around garage sales and thrift stores, looking and over-paying LOL.

I've done that increasingly often lately; never had anyone respond back :p

Totally disturbed by this. I guess I had forgotten all about the judgements people make about other people, and that employers are flawed humans like everyone else. Not that I'm about to lie on my already meager resume...

True. If you're going to see people making judgments based on scant evidence (typos, resume presentation, current employment, you-name-it) an employer wading through 100+ resumes is certainly going to fall into that category.

Interviews started last night. Today someone showed up dressed in a hoodie and pajama pants.

Yup, there was a judgment made about that too!

True. If you're going to see people making judgments based on scant evidence (typos, resume presentation, current employment, you-name-it) an employer wading through 100+ resumes is certainly going to fall into that category.

Interviews started last night. Today someone showed up dressed in a hoodie and pajama pants.

Hoodie and pajama pants? No way! Bunny slippers too? Weeding through resumes and interviewing is torturous.

Guest submarines

Whenever I see bad spelling or grammar, it truly makes me sad.

Not every one had access to a good education.

Though anyone who posts on the Internet has access to educational resources.

Guest submarines

send ph and how many

Maybe she takes good care of real kittens. ;) In the grand scheme of things, real kittens and real chickens, doing what you love and growing your own food is infinitely more meaningful than grammar.

I cringe at poor grammar--in resumes, books, newsletters. I don't mind if a farmer doesn't spell well.

Though anyone who posts on the Internet has access to educational resources.

You actually need to know how to access resources before you can use them. Knowing how to access educational resources means you are educated enough to know those resources exist.

It has always bothered me when smart people laugh at others for not being as educated as themselves.

Don't you have to prove you are looking for work to stay on some government programs? When I hear of things like this, I assume he/she didn't really want the job.