Menu

We got the Odyssey!

mamajag

I couldn't be happier. I am tech savvy and still trying to figure out all the neat things this van will do. :coolgleamA: My kids didn't know we were even looking at new vehicles, so I picked them up from the ILs in the Odyssey and they are in love with all the room they have now. They had been packed into the back of a Grand Marquis before.

I test drove both the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. The Toyota drove really well, but the interior finishes felt cheap. The Honda handles more like I expect from a van, but the interior finishes were much nicer, the seats more comfortable, it fit my husband (6'4") well, and a nicely loaded Odyssey was on sale for the same price as a basic Sienna. My mom had a C-RV with 180,000 miles and drove it hard on her mail route without problems so reliability tilted everything towards the Odyssey.

It's funny how the third child didn't make me move to a minivan, but I had an experience with one of my dogs getting bitten by a snake (she's fine) and if I hadn't had DH home to watch the kids I couldn't have gotten the kids and the dog to the vet. Between that and worsening electrical problems in the Grand Marquis, I realized it was time to get the minivan.

I'm such a dork...I came to the thread to find out whether you got Fitzgerald or Lattimore. Anyway, congratulations on your spiffy new ride.

Me too! Classical education moms are nerds.

I can beat that! I saw a post on a board the other day that said, "Help with Viking range" and I *immediately* started thinking, "Well, they went west to Newfoundland, east into Russia, south to..." Only to click on it and find out that the person meant the brand name Viking ovens.

Thanks!

The book never even crossed my mind. :blushing: I guess that means I'm a terrible classical homeschooling mom, huh? :lol:

I really needed somebody to be happy for me. A good number of my family gets an attitude when I get something new and it takes the fun out of it. I am happy whenever they get an upgrade and don't get how they can't be happy for me the same way...

Good for you! We get a new car(van, I mean!) every 8 or so years. This year was the year for us because we added our 6th child and needed more seats!! We chose an Odyssey as well and I LOVE it!! Still trying to figure out all the techy stuff. I love the bluetooth though and thought I would not care about it. It is a great van. Has so much room even though we fill up all the seats. It has a 10 year warranty, so hopefully we will not need a new vehicle for at least 10 years.

Ooh, what year did you get? I told my dad we are in the market for a new minivan sometime this year (our 2002 Sienna with 200,000 miles is starting to wear out). The next thing I know, he's forwarded me an ad for a 2014 Odyssey that has a built-in vacuum. :drool: The stinker. I can't afford a brand-new van. But I want one now....

Ooh, what year did you get? I told my dad we are in the market for a new minivan sometime this year (our 2002 Sienna with 200,000 miles is starting to wear out). The next thing I know, he's forwarded me an ad for a 2014 Odyssey that has a built-in vacuum. :drool: The stinker. I can't afford a brand-new van. But I want one now....

We got a 2013 because we couldn't wait for the 2014s with the electrical problems the Marquis had. I could really use the vacuum, though DH's question of where the dirt goes and how hard it would be to empty took all of the fun out of it.

Good for you! We get a new car(van, I mean!) every 8 or so years. This year was the year for us because we added our 6th child and needed more seats!! We chose an Odyssey as well and I LOVE it!! Still trying to figure out all the techy stuff. I love the bluetooth though and thought I would not care about it. It is a great van. Has so much room even though we fill up all the seats. It has a 10 year warranty, so hopefully we will not need a new vehicle for at least 10 years.

I am in love with the Bluetooth, especially since I can use the music on my iPhone without any wires and still use the handsfree for phone calls, too. I'm not too sure I could make the rear seat entertainment system work without the manual even though they went through the tech with me before we left. I had to get the manual out to figure out how to turn on the wipers, LOL.

The sad thing is I live down gravel roads so it's always dirty. It's kind of sad that I wash and wax it and by the time I get home it looks like I did nothing. :(