Menu

What can I use to disinfect ds's Sonicare toothbrush head after strep?

HappyGrace

Does it matter the percentage on the bleach/water solution? And that doesn't affect the internal mechanisms of the head? Or do you basically just dip the brush and stem part in the water (not the mechanism under the "dome" part)?

ETA: just saw the hydro peroxide responses-I assume that's straight, not diluted, and then just rinse after?

ETA: just saw the hydro peroxide responses-I assume that's straight, not diluted, and then just rinse after?

Yes. We use 3% hydrogen peroxide (which is the standard concentration sold at most stores). Rinse well after. But even if there's some residue left on the brush, you don't need to worry - a little bit of 3% HP can be safely ingested.

I soak mine in Hyd, peroxide. (20min) I don't know if it works, but I feel better.

I would use hydrogen peroxide as well.

We also soak ours in peroxide.

Peroxide. You can brush your tongue with it too. ;)

My dd's just had strep and this is exactly what the dentist said. Soak overnight in 100% peroxide, the let completely dry before use. Worked fine. :)

Equal parts peroxide and vinegar makes one of the best disinfectants possible. And it is non-toxic to boot.

To disinfect sinks, cutting boards, and the like keep two spray bottles, one with white vinegar, the other with hydrogen peroxide in an opaque container (spray tops generally fit on the brown bottles peroxide come in, so just use those) and spay surfaces with both bottles.

This the best disinfectant (more effective than bleach) and there are no chemical worries.

Bill