Menu

physics in elementary school?

MeganW

Is there such thing as a very basic physics curriculum for elementary age kids? My son in particular is ALWAYS asking me physics-type questions, and I never know the answers. We look it up, but I am thinking that would be a great thing to schedule for science next year if I could find an age-appropriate resource.

We really enjoyed doing various activities from the (I know, I'm a broken record) Boston Children's Museum Activity Books. They require some work to set up, but totally worth it. With a couple of exceptions, they are all about physics.

For younger kids, the "Science Book of..." series by Neil Ardley is a great easy experiment series that has good, simple things and there are several about physics topics.

There's also a book called, I think, Teaching Physics with Toys or Physics Through Toys or something like that which is supposed to be very good, but which I haven't used.

There are fewer book and video resources about physics for kids, but there are some - Bill Nye and Magic School Bus both have several episodes. For younger kids, Let's Read and Find Out has several books. And there is a great old cartoon series called Eureka! which you can find on Youtube that is perfect for upper elementary and middle school.

We did physics for first grade and I still think it was our best science year - the kids really got so much out of it. If you're curious what we did, I blogged about it a lot that year and there's a link to my science posts on my blog.

We are almost done with Mr. Q Physical Science and I love it. It is very straightforward, very relatable, and fun! We only do some of the activities and still get a lot out of it, but I also incorporate other science kits and videos. Eureka videos (linked on Basement Workshop) are quirky and fun, and we also watch Bill Nye episodes that match.

Sometimes my son reads it on the ipad, but other times I use the TV screen as a monitor. I just print out some of the worksheets if I want to use them for our portfolio or for the reviews/tests.

This class provides a great introduction to physics- very little math:

https://www.coursera.org/course/howthingswork1

DS and I don't take the quizzes, we just watch the lectures. Gotta love a professor that throws bowling balls out of windows. ;)

Is there info on how much this course is? Sorry, on my phone and I can't cruise around that website on it.

It's free. You can download the videos. The course just ended, so I'm not sure how long they will be up. Some Coursera courses keep the videos up while others are taken down and brought back up for the next round. I didn't take any chances and downloaded all of them.

If you like them, he has announced he's doing How Things Work 2 that continues to follow the book.

I hate to ask, but how did you save them? I don't seem to have an option unless I click on the icon on the far right of the list of videos and that is am mp4 file which requires a program that my computer doesn't have. Is that what you did? I also want to save these since we are planning on doing physics in the fall and this is a great resource and I don't want it to not be available when we want to use it. Any info is appreciated!