Menu

I feel like I saw a unicorn today

I'm in the Raleigh area visiting family, and I went to the most amazing HS curriculum store! I have never experienced anything like it. To be able to actually see and touch all the materials I've only ever read about...I was practically giddy! I spent a shocking amount of money, kinda wondering how I can sneak that past DH :lol: I'm so jealous of those of you who have something like it near you. I went with my cousin, but I'm kind of thinking I might go by one more time on my way home!

We have a homeschool curriculum store about 45 minutes from my house. It's AMAZING. I try to limit my trips there because I always come away with things I wasn't planning on buying. I went last week and spent about $150. But it's so wonderful to be able to put my hands on the books I'm thinking about buying. My trip last week helped me decide between two science programs I was looking at and helped me buy a literature program. It's so nice to have it close enough to make a trip there every once in awhile.

We have one here in Houston and it is awesome! Actually, we kind of have two or so. There is The Homeschool Store, which I love. They have new and used curriculum as well as tons of used books and lots of other goodies. It is awesome. We also have a store called Mardel, which carries a good amount of new homeschool curriculum. I've only been there once, and it's nice and it's great having another place to go if I need too, but it's not as great as the actual HS. :)

Mardel also has a ton of toys and my son said it was the best store ever. However, THS has a nice play area that he loves too. I definitely prefer THS. It's so great.

Ahhhhhh, let me guess, Homeschool Gathering Place? That place is *beyond fabulous*!!! If DH is ever wanting to give me a treat, he keeps the kids and gives me an afternoon at HSGP, and a blank check ;-) It is the BEST gift he can give me! I've been to other HS stores in both Charlotte and Winston, but the HSGP is far and away my favorite, simply for the wide selection in both new and used curriculum. They carry nearly everything we use, including loads of classical stuff.

And HSGP knows their patrons well... the last time I was there for 4+ hours, they supplied me regularly with chocolate from their "Mommy Candy" jar! Homeschool curriculum and chocolate makes a splendid combination!

I have one about 45 minutes from where I live. It is in San Antonio. I like the store but way overpriced. Wish I could support the little man and spend money there but really, I just go and browse and take a closer look at the curriculum that I am eyeing at the moment. Then I come home and find it used online. I do spend some money there occasionally but only on deals. They don't have everything though, not much secular curriculum but still a nice store to visit. I do envy those who have a good priced Home school store near them with a huge selection. Glad to hear you got to visit one!

It was very, very kewl. We used to have a HS supply store, but it closed down in my first year or two of HSing, and the one time I did manage to get there, they really had very little I was interested in. This place was half new, half used (consigned) materials, and they had so much stuff! The prices of their used items weren't spectacular, but they were comparable to what you might pay to buy used items online, and there's no risk/shipping cost/wait time.

I've been to that one! It is great :) I am no longer living in that area but we have come back to visit family and stop by the store.

eta: I remember wishing there were more secular options.

Well, we are secular HSers, but I actually went in there looking for TOG, so it worked for me :lol: Really though, I saw lots of secular stuff--all PHP items, writing programs, plenty of secular math (Saxon, etc.). I even bought the first and third K12 Human Odyssey books, and when I go back, I'm going to see if they have the History of US books used (I definitely saw them new, but I don't want to pay $16 each for them). I was satisfied, and I'm pretty picky about my materials.

Ahhhhhh, let me guess, Homeschool Gathering Place? That place is *beyond fabulous*!!! If DH is ever wanting to give me a treat, he keeps the kids and gives me an afternoon at HSGP, and a blank check ;-) It is the BEST gift he can give me! I've been to other HS stores in both Charlotte and Winston, but the HSGP is far and away my favorite, simply for the wide selection in both new and used curriculum. They carry nearly everything we use, including loads of classical stuff.

And HSGP knows their patrons well... the last time I was there for 4+ hours, they supplied me regularly with chocolate from their "Mommy Candy" jar! Homeschool curriculum and chocolate makes a splendid combination!

Yep, that's the one :D It really was a great experience, and I decided I'm definitely going back when we head home in a day or so. The ladies there were so incredibly friendly and helpful, and I saw lots of stuff I wanted to look at (but didn't, because if I do, I know I'll just be throwing all of my decisions back up in the air!) I really wish I'd known about it a few weeks ago, because I just got a whole box full of stuff from RR.

I keep thinking maybe I'll go when I'm in Durham some time (my mom lives there). So it's worth the trip? It's in a part of Raleigh I don't think I've visited in ten years.

I definitely think it is. Of course the vast majority of the materials were Christian, but there were plenty of secular materials tucked in there too, both new and used. IMO, there's something for everyone.

Am I the only one who is sad? :tongue_smilie: I thought maybe you found a great American history spine for the elementary years. :lol: My personal unicorn...

LOL.... I am quite sure a unicorn is more likely to be found!! ;)

Wow, you found a GLITTERY unicorn! So jealous... Aside from a few lonely books on a shelf at B&N, there isn't a homeschool book to be purchased anywhere near me!

The Gathering Place is a great store!! I just love to browse through all the used stuff. I can snoop through it for hours. New stuff is great too, but I'm a sucker for all the great used stuff. Just got some great deals there a few weeks ago. My kids love to pick a free book or two from the box outside so we all leave happy :)

I'm in the Raleigh area visiting family, and I went to the most amazing HS curriculum store! I have never experienced anything like it. To be able to actually see and touch all the materials I've only ever read about...I was practically giddy! I spent a shocking amount of money, kinda wondering how I can sneak that past DH :lol: I'm so jealous of those of you who have something like it near you. I went with my cousin, but I'm kind of thinking I might go by one more time on my way home!

I hate it when we have a swim meet near that store and I get to stop in. NOT, lol. They have the best selection!

Georgia

We have one here in Houston and it is awesome! Actually, we kind of have two or so. There is The Homeschool Store, which I love. They have new and used curriculum as well as tons of used books and lots of other goodies. It is awesome. We also have a store called Mardel, which carries a good amount of new homeschool curriculum. I've only been there once, and it's nice and it's great having another place to go if I need too, but it's not as great as the actual HS. :)

Mardel also has a ton of toys and my son said it was the best store ever. However, THS has a nice play area that he loves too. I definitely prefer THS. It's so great.

I loved THS and went often when they were on the north side of Houston. I don't know why they had to go move all the way out to Tomball or Magnolia or wherever in the boonies they are. :glare: The new store is a 3-hr round trip drive (at best) and isn't worth the trip. I do miss them though.

IME, curriculum at Mardel is overpriced. Most of it is packaged and can't be opened to review either.

There's another homeschool store called HEP down on S I-45 and Fuqua. It's got both new and used materials and offers a discount to THSC members if you show your membership card.

I LOVE The Homeschool Store. Sadly, it is a four-hour plane ride away..... But I always bring an extra suitcase when I visit Houston.

I loved THS and went often when they were on the north side of Houston. I don't know why they had to go move all the way out to Tomball or Magnolia or wherever in the boonies they are. :glare: The new store is a 3-hr round trip drive (at best) and isn't worth the trip. I do miss them though.

IME, curriculum at Mardel is overpriced. Most of it is packaged and can't be opened to review either.

There's another homeschool store called HEP down on S I-45 and Fuqua. It's got both new and used materials and offers a discount to THSC members if you show your membership card.

They are still in North Houston, near the Willowbrook Mall (249/1960). I live in the southern NW Houston area and it takes me about 15 min or so to get there. We've only lived in Houston for a year though and, to me, it seems as if everything in Houston is a drive! I take classes at San Jac and last summer had an evening class on their south campus. I had to leave like an hour and a half early to get there on time. I really dislike that it takes so long to get somewhere within the same city.

I went to Mardel just to buy SOTW Volume 1 and I was lucky because they were 30% off at the time. :)

I had no idea there was another HS store here! I don't get down south too often, but I will store that bit of information away (like I need another place to shop.....). :)

We have one here in VA Beach, they actually buy/sell new/used curriculum. A lot of what they sell is Abeka or BJUP, but they have pretty much all of the PHP stuff, Saxon math, I think they even sell GWG now.

Yes Moore Expressions is Great and she actually does mail orders too

http://www.mooreexpressions.com/

They also have Sonlight stuff.

Are you on the local homeschooling in Hampton Roads Eloop?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschooling-in-hamptonroads/

I've been to one in Houston too, but I can't remember the name of it. and none look familar

okay I think it was the homeschool bookstore on Judiway

that was 2 years ago. I'm so near the end of my journey even though I'll be in TX in June I guess I'll skip going to the store.

We have one here in VA Beach, they actually buy/sell new/used curriculum. A lot of what they sell is Abeka or BJUP, but they have pretty much all of the PHP stuff, Saxon math, I think they even sell GWG now.

I went there once and loved it. Mainly because the ladies were so helpful and friendly and pieced together for me a set of Saxon K manipulatives so I didn't have to buy the whole Saxon K-3 set. They were so willing to help, and it was nice not feeling rushed and getting to browse through all the options I had read about in WTM. I also got a really nice set of handwriting wall posters for $1.

I did make a mistake there though. I was so excited to find SOTW1 there that I bought it and didn't remember until the next day when I got the mail I already had one coming that I had ordered from someone on here. Whoops!

I love the Homeschool Gathering Place. I haven't been in over a year, because it's a bit of a commute for me now, but the last time we went, one of the ladies working there helped me choose a grammar program for my older son. We ended up with Rod and Staff, and the lady spent time to talk to my son about it, and she basically had him eating out of her hand. He has never complained about grammar because she took the time to talk to him one-on-one, while giving me a little time to browse alone in the shop. I will forever be grateful.

I keep thinking maybe I'll go when I'm in Durham some time (my mom lives there). So it's worth the trip? It's in a part of Raleigh I don't think I've visited in ten years.

Very worth the trip. I used to live in Durham, and it's about 30 minutes or so from there. It's a straight shot down Hwy. 70.

ETA: Depending on where you are in Durham, you'd have to get to Hwy 70 first! :D

I lived around Southpoint Mall, so I'd get on Hwy 40 and get off at I-540, and take that to Hwy 70.

I've been to one in Houston too, but I can't remember the name of it. and none look familar

okay I think it was the homeschool bookstore on Judiway

that was 2 years ago. I'm so near the end of my journey even though I'll be in TX in June I guess I'll skip going to the store.

Yep, they moved from there to their current location. :)

Homeschool hangout in Alpharetta (north of Atlanta) is my Unicorn-we're there about twice a year for DH's work, and I try to do as much of my shopping there as possible, because it's such a great place. I just wish we had one in Memphis. Gateway has a small curriculum store, but it's far more limited and is open odd hours-and since it's done by volunteers, not even all of them.