Menu

Really neat new type of Epi-pen called Auvi-Q

Nart

My son has a peanut/ tree nut allergy and had a doctors appt. yesterday. Instead if getting a refill with the Epi-pen, the dr. showed us the Auvi-Q. The active ingredient epinephrine is the same and so is the dose. It is made by a different company. I really like it because it is rectangular around the size of a deck of playing cards so it fits in my purse in the cell phone compartment. It also talks. I tried out the trainer and it tells you what to do. It says out loud pull off red cap, place black end against outer thigh for five seconds,then press firmly and hold in place for five seconds then counts 5, 4, 3,2,1 out loud. The real injector talks too. Anyone else seen it or has had to use it?

ETA- I forgot to attach a link to a YouTube video showing a demonstration

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DOgDd4rPXyI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDOgDd4rPXyI

That sounds awesome! I'm allergic to wasps and pretty sure that should I get stung, I will be in danger of hyperventilating from the pain requiring someone else to dose me. Also, sounds like this would take less space. It would be nice to have the option of a small purse but many I like are too small to hold two epi-pens. Thanks for posting this. I'll have to ask my doctor about it. So glad my scrip is up!

Thanks for posting! I saw a link for a coupon on the Auvi Q website.

Not sure if we'll try it. We have a hard enough time getting Epi-pens through our insurance and this drug is not covered at all. It looks like a good option, though.

That sounds awesome! I'm allergic to wasps and pretty sure that should I get stung, I will be in danger of hyperventilating from the pain requiring someone else to dose me. Also, sounds like this would take less space. It would be nice to have the option of a small purse but many I like are too small to hold two epi-pens. Thanks for posting this. I'll have to ask my doctor about it. So glad my scrip is up!

I have food allergies, and I also would likely require someone else to inject. (I did, actually.) IMO, anyone at risk for anaphylaxis should try to have someone with them who knows how to treat an emergency, when in a high-risk situation. I had no idea how incapacitated I would be until it actually happened.

We saw those at our doctor's office. The nurse thought it was perfect because of the smaller size and thought it would be better for my dd12 be able to use - she's had to use one (or had one used) 8 times in the last year. She said it was creepy and would rather have one that didn't talk. I hope they help some people, but it wouldn't work for my dd.

Thanks! My dh has an epi-pen and, although we've always taught the kids how to do it, I worry that we don't review often enough or that they'd forget in an emergency. This would be wonderful! Is it much more expensive?

The allergist gave me a coupon that the copay for someone WITH insurance would be no more than 25 dollars. I ended up paying 25 dollars for two units and one trainer (they all come in one sealed box). I think that is around the same price as I paid for a two pack of Epi-Pen. I think the coupon said that if you don't have insurance you would get 60 dollars off.

The allergist gave me a coupon that the copay for someone WITH insurance would be no more than 25 dollars. I ended up paying 25 dollars for two units and one trainer (they all come in one sealed box). I think that is around the same price as I paid for a two pack of Epi-Pen. I think the coupon said that if you don't have insurance you would get 60 dollars off.

Nm

I will have to ask the allergist about this. DD is so severely allergic, she has to carry multi epipens which means a big purse or a backpack, never a small purse. I know she would like a smaller option. I would also feel much better with the talking thing since as a teen, she is often around people who don't necessarily know what to do.

A talking epipen would be nice for when someone else is taking care of my DS. They always ask--now how do I use this thing again despite the directions right on the pen. Oh well.

I saw this a while back and called not really expecting much. But my coupon came in the mail a few weeks ago and I took it to the pharmacy to refill our epipens and my copay really was $0. So if you buy epipens and want to save up to $100 off your copay per epipen, call the number and get the coupon.

http://www.bargainst...-carrying-case/