Menu

i dont know how you do it!

kiwik

Today I did a second trial run to see what home schooling would be like for us (in case I win an obscene amount of money and can quit work).

I have 2 sons - ds1 is six tomorrow and ds2 is 4 in May.

We managed for ds1; one WWE1 lesson, 1 page of MM2A, 4 pages of a science encyclopedia,

Ds2; sight words- I wrote them, ds2 read them and ds1 made a sentence using them to stop him interupting, copy work - he did it while I helped ds1 with maths, 1 reader while ds1 finished his maths.

Together: bible stories.

Oh and an impromptu lesson on equivalent fractions using a carton of eggs because ds1 found a book that was too advanced for him.

Apart from that we managed church (good Friday here) and about half an hour vigorous exercise.

how do you get through everything?.

You don't have to do everything every day. There are certain things we do every day, but some are only done 2-3 days a week, on different days. Also, at age 4 for your younger one, relax. He's still a baby, and should learn through playing, not necessarily anything formal.

It can be overwhelming at first, but remind yourself that you actually don't HAVE to do it all, and just enjoy the fact that you are getting to see when your children "get" something and that they are getting a fa better education than they would if you sent them to school.

What time did you start? stop? Were there other distractions such as housework or cooking? Did you have their attention or were you spending time trying to get them to listen? At those ages, I would focus on short quality lessons. I don't think you need much more than 15 mins. of most subjects. Spend longer on the subjects they are drawn to so they'll associate good thoughts with school. Along similar lines, i remember SWB talking about quality over quantity for handwriting. It's better to have the word written in the best handwriting about 5 times than forcing the child to write more to the point where his/her hand starts hurting and the focus is no longer on the best work but just any work to hurry and get done. Good training focuses on quality. Or something like that. :)

Begin with 10 and then work up to 20 minutes max. per subject that involves "seatwork" - math, writing, reading. Other topics can be covered during snuggle time by mom reading short stories and board books. I think it was Charlotte Mason that recommended the 20 minutes. I agree that the four year old is along for the ride and no formal seatwork is needed.

Lots of singing and dancing to learn things, lots of reading to them and Asger reading to me. We only do "formal" math, phonics and handwriting with Asher. For his math drill yesterday, I wrote addition and subtraction facts on the driveway with sidewalk chalk and he went behind me checking or "x-ing" them. We did phonics flash cards on the trampoline. We did memory work in the car. We do Bible at breakfast while they are eating. I do read aloud at lunch while they are eating.

It took us a good five or six months to really transition to homeschooling. My sons were in 1st and 2nd grade then, and there were days when school was going to the zoo or a museum, or just hours at the park.... Don't make homeschooling in to a big to-do list for the day with boxes to check - at least not when they are little and the options can be so much fun!

The problem I see with a trial run, is that it is usually done while the children are expecting to be on break. It is typically done during spring break, Christmas break or summer vacation. Since the expectation (and excitement!) has already been set that they will NOT have to do school for x amount of day....trying out homeschooling during this time is typically not successful.

If you *really* want to do a trial run...call your kids in sick for a day they would typically be at school. Tell them they get to do school at home today and then see how it goes!

Well, formal work for k'er took about half an hour a day. Formal work for 1st grade took about an hour a day. It wouldn't have been a problem to find an hour and a half to school two kids separately at that age. I would have tried to do as much together as I could.

What exactly was the problem that it took too much time for you?

now I think about it, it didn't take much time. It was a holiday and by the time we had done church, lunch and quiet time, afternoon tea it was probably late afternoon. So yes it probably was between half an hour and an hour of which half an hour was me reading. The younger one only did stuff because he is one of those kids who is in a huge hurry. I write words for him to read every week or so because I am curious to see how many he has learnt while I wasn't looking and to remind him about sounding out. He copied some words because he has just decided to learn to write and it kept him busy.

I wish I could keep them home but I have to work. I am trying to arrange things so I can later if we all want to still.

Just exactly like you've been doing. A little bit, most days. You'd be surprised how much you can get done over time that way

Exactly! You don't have to do hours every day, or even everything every day. You just have to consistently move forward day after day, week after week, year after year. Luckily, as the work gets more demanding, the children get older and more capable. It evolves as a process.

If you *really* want to do a trial run...call your kids in sick for a day they would typically be at school. Tell them they get to do school at home today and then see how it goes!

That is a PERFECT suggestion! :thumbup:

Of course, most kids could manage to be Mommy's Little Angels in exchange for a day off from school... ;)

I have been thinking some more. I probably just would have to adjust to the differences between school and home. I know a six year old doesn't need 6 hours at school (I knee that when I was at school) but I would still keep thinking I wasn't doing enough. We did everything we needed to yesterday except I forgot footwork for the older and usually I would get him to do some of the reading but doing that would have added 10 mins max.

We did: maths, LA and science and enjoyed it so that should be a win and a good day.

Thanks.

I did keep the older one home when I was sick the other day and he did work at home for an hour or so quite happily and probably did more than at school.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about it!

At 6, my oldest was doing 2 hours max a day. And he is my advanced kid.

My youngest at 6 did about 1.5 hours.

Those didn't include reading aloud time.

Even now, I have a 7th grader and a 4th grader. We spend 3.5 hours in the morning, mostly for my 10yo. The oldest works independently and has another 1-2 hours of work in the afternoon. My younger has maybe 30 minutes.

PS isn't a good example to base your day on. Your student to teacher ratio is much smaller and you can get much more done in a shorter amount of time.

:) Enjoy this age! It's so much fun. I am getting my first teenager this year. I miss my littler. :)