Menu

Locks of Love...have any of you donated personally?

I'm just beginning to consider the idea. My hair is kind of long, and very thick. If I cut off the necessary 10" I'd end up with shoulder-length or a bit shorter than shoulder length.

I understand that they don't want highlighted hair. It's been probably about two years since I've had my hair highlighted. It's pretty much impossible to tell now that it was ever done, and the quality of my hair is pretty good. Would they still be able to use it?

I'm thinking that if I were to donate, now will be my only chance, since I'm starting to get just a few grays right around my face.

Any advice on this?

Maybe I'm just too old already (?).

Seems like they would be able to use your hair at this point. Great Clips here used to work with Locks of Love, but I'm not sure if they still do. They would be able to tell you if they could use your hair. I like the free cut, too. I let my hair get so long that it starts becoming a pain, then I get a bunch cut off and enjoy the short look for a while, and start the cycle over again. I'm starting to get gray -- just a bit! -- and I hadn't even considered that I might be nearing the end of my ability to donate. I figure it's like giving blood. My hair is in good shape, I don't miss it when it's gone, and it helps someone out. It hurts less to get a haircut than it does to give blood, too. :)

my DD has beautiful long hair, and people keep coming up to her and saying that she should donate it to Locks of Love, so often that she feels selfish for having it.

I have heard mixed things about the organization as well--from what I have heard, they often charge for the hair. I don't like the idea of giving freely and then having it be sold. I think it might be a bit of a rip off.

my DD has beautiful long hair, and people keep coming up to her and saying that she should donate it to Locks of Love, so often that she feels selfish for having it.

I have heard mixed things about the organization as well--from what I have heard, they often charge for the hair. I don't like the idea of giving freely and then having it be sold. I think it might be a bit of a rip off.

Sorry Carol, I didn't mean to touch a nerve. I would never tell anyone else they should cut off their beautiful long hair, I was just thinking that my hair's getting pretty long and that if I get it cut I should at least make it available for a good purpose.

I hadn't heard anything negative about Locks of Love, just that they sell the hair they cannot use in order to defray the costs of manufacturing the hair pieces. Thank you for the warning, I'll be sure to consider that angle when I make my decision. My hair hasn't been short for many years, and I'm still not positive I should get it cut that short!

My 10yodd did this 2 weeks ago. We went to a nice salon (Jon Alan) and found out that they would give the cut and style for free. Since dd's hair is very thick, we put it in two side ponytails. From what I understand, as long as your hair isn't bleached, and the color has grown out, it should be fine to donate.

I've done this once, I usually don't have the patience to let my hair grow that much before I cut it off, but I made it last year. It was very easy and my regular stylist took care of cutting it off in a ponytail. I mailed it off following the instructions from the group. HTH

I have donated twice and my daughter (by her own wishes) donated once. I know that Locks of Love does sell the hair that they can't use. I donate my hair because I wanted it to go somewhere that it can possibly be used for good. I would prefer to do that than throw it away. I haven't pressured anyone to donate their hair, but if someone is wanting a shorter do and they have enough to donate, I may suggest LOL as on option for their hair.

I did two years ago. I didn't go to one of the salons that gives free cuts, but some salons do. Here is a FAQ link for Locks of Love It says they can take colored hair, but not bleached. It also addresses the question about whether or not they charge the recipients for the wigs.

There is also a program by Pantene called Beautiful Lengths. I think these go to women, not children.

Hope that helps!

If you decide to donate it, you should post a before and after picture for us to see!

We've done it once (I use the term "we" very very loosely here, lol -- dd did it when she was 9 or so).

Another company that does this type of thing (if you're not happy with the "negative" part of LoL) is Pantene. I forget the name of their program, but I believe it's linked on their home page.

My dd and I want to do that, but our hair is thin, not sure it's worth it? See at 4, my dd's hair was still rather short! I've seen little ones with long beautiful hair, and it amazed me that they had such long hair at such a young age! DD's wanted to do this for a long time, and made a decision awhile back that she wanted to do it when her hair was long enough this time.

You think hair can be too thin to donate?

I just want to say thank you to those of you that have donated or are thinking of it.

I had radiation tx several years ago. Unlike chemo, you only lose the portion of your hair that was radiated. So I lost part of the hair on the back of my head, just the part at the base of the skull. I have enough hair that you could never tell.

However, it is a highly emotional moment the first time you pull out a handful of hair. I can't imagine dealing with that as a young child or even having to lose all of your hair as an adult. So :grouphug: I know these girls and ladies appreciate it.

I donated my hair through our local cancer center - I'm not sure if it was Locks of Love or not.

My hair grows fast and is very thick. I'd like to donate it again (it's down to my waist now) but dh really likes it long. Last time I did it without talking to him first and it was a bit of a shock.

I went to a local hair cut place and they cut my hair for free and donated the pony tail to Locks of Love. My hair went from lower back length to just above my shoulders. I think I donated about 12 inches and she still had some to work with. I did not have to do much and got a free hair cut.

I would call around and find out who donates in your area. I was effortless for me and well worth it!

I'm just beginning to consider the idea. My hair is kind of long, and very thick. If I cut off the necessary 10" I'd end up with shoulder-length or a bit shorter than shoulder length.

I understand that they don't want highlighted hair. It's been probably about two years since I've had my hair highlighted. It's pretty much impossible to tell now that it was ever done, and the quality of my hair is pretty good. Would they still be able to use it?

I'm thinking that if I were to donate, now will be my only chance, since I'm starting to get just a few grays right around my face.

Any advice on this?

Maybe I'm just too old already (?).

My dd8 is getting ready to do this. We're going to donate to Pantene's program. They only require 8" length, I believe, and no more than 5% gray (rules me out!!).

Both of my girls donated their hair to Locks of Love earlier this year. I guess they were supposed to get a card or acknowledgment, but we never did. The girls don't care, but it was my mother's idea, so she was a little disappointed. :) Oh well! It was a good cause!

My cousin's daughter is just a year or two older than my dd. When she was five, they found a tumor that required extensive radiation and chemo. Two years later, it came back and they about had to kill her to cure her (thankfully everything seems to be OK now). Both times she lost all of her hair and she got a wig through Locks of Love. I know my hair didn't go to her, but I thought of her as I was getting it cut.

My daughter and I are both growing out our hair, and will hopefully be able to donate together in another month or two.

I didn't read the other msgs, but I just got home from mailing my 11yo dd's hair to Locks of Love. My 13yo & I donated our hair last summer but 11yo's hair wasn't long enough then. My hair was to my waist, now it just slightly below my shoulders. :) It takes a long time to get a card -- 3-4 months. I had almost forgotten we'd donated when our cards arrived.

Boy, I'm sticking my neck out here... and I truly don't mean to offend anyone. This is just an issue that really bugs me.

I never tell people this in person because I don't want to pop their bubble, but I don't have a lot of faith in Locks of Love as a valid charitable organization. By their own public tax records their income is over $2 million a year, but they only provide just over 100 hairpieces a year (info from Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance). An estimated 1% of the hair they receive is actually used to make a hairpiece for a child. That hits me wrong and the cynical me says it's a front for moneymaking. They sell the "unusable" hair and make a lot of money doing it, then make a few hairpieces just to justify their organization. I'm not calling it a scam - just a questionable charity.

Read this NY Times article.

Here's a link with more info - Wiki article listing cristicisms. Google "Locks of Love scam" and you'll find scads more info.

:rant:

I respect that people give up their hair believing it's for a good cause. I'd rather donate to other organizations.

That is all.

Boy, I'm sticking my neck out here... and I truly don't mean to offend anyone. This is just an issue that really bugs me.

I never tell people this in person because I don't want to pop their bubble, but I don't have a lot of faith in Locks of Love as a valid charitable organization. By their own public tax records their income is over $2 million a year, but they only provide just over 100 hairpieces a year (info from Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance). An estimated 1% of the hair they receive is actually used to make a hairpiece for a child. That hits me wrong and the cynical me says it's a front for moneymaking. They sell the "unusable" hair and make a lot of money doing it, then make a few hairpieces just to justify their organization. I'm not calling it a scam - just a questionable charity.

Read this NY Times article.

Here's a link with more info - Wiki article listing cristicisms. Google "Locks of Love scam" and you'll find scads more info.

:rant:

I respect that people give up their hair believing it's for a good cause. I'd rather donate to other organizations.

That is all.

Glad you posted this. I couldn't remember where I'd seen it, or I would have.