Menu

Ouch! (school)

Dd7 asked me tonight what is swearing. I explained that it traditionally means making a solemn promise in the name of someone/something, but that nowadays it often means using offensive words. "Oh," she said. "Mr A told us that swearing is bad. And he said we should not use the F-word, but I don't know what he meant."

That would be because she didn't know that word. Thanks for that, school.

Yeah, well...if she is in public school, on the playground, on the bus etc., she will hear that and a whole lot more. Really, her teacher probably was hearing it from the kids way too much, which is why it was addressed. Maybe your dd was oblivious to what the other kids were saying....mine tend to be in their own world during playtime, not honing in on the words of the other kids, but just being in the game.

Shake it off, It is OK. If you wanted complete control over everything she hears or is taught by others, public school is not the choice....heck, home school is not the choice.....there are no little Buddahs anymore as far as I know. The outside world walks right into my front door everyday....and when I slam the door, it comes in the window.

Tell her she should not use harsh words...her teacher is correct and should have been more clear ( explaining, not sample words :-). ). Tell her she is a good girl for asking you and she can come and ask you anything, anytime....then drop it.

Shake it off, It is OK. If you wanted complete control over everything she hears or is taught by others, public school is not the choice....heck, home school is not the choice.....there are no little Buddahs anymore as far as I know. The outside world walks right into my front door everyday....and when I slam the door, it comes in the window.

Tell her she should not use harsh words...her teacher is correct and should have been more clear ( explaining, not sample words :-). ). Tell her she is a good girl for asking you and she can come and ask you anything, anytime....then drop it.

:iagree: This.

:iagree:

I learn all my swear words before preschool from the neighborhood. My kids heard swear words in the news on the sports commentary. We have been hearing more swear words in songs played on the radio's pop channel too. We end up listening to classical music on the radio in the car most of the time.

My kids hear swear words (they are 6). They know which words are swear words. But surprisingly, they don't seem all that scared to say them, for example, when telling me "so-and-so said ____." I hope they would not do that at school, as the last thing we need is another bad mark.

A little funny. Couple weeks ago, I asked my kids what they did in math class that day, and they said they hadn't had math class. I questioned them further, thinking that was highly unlikely. Then they told me "Mrs. H said a bad word." "Which bad word?" "The s word." Now they used to think "stupid" was the "s" word, so I pushed a little more. "Sh!t. She said, "Oh, sh!t, I forgot to do math."

This, my friends, is the pastor's wife. LOL. I wish I had it on tape in case I needed blackmail material. ;)

Now how a teacher forgets to do math is a whole other question.

Wait, did he actually say it, or just say "the F-word?"

My 7th grade Reading teacher taught me the C-word, because I was apparently the only student in the room who hadn't heard it. It was a lesson on the evolution of language, how words like "Bloody" used to be really terrible and over time get downgraded, how "gay" can mean something very different if it is found in an 18th century text vs 20th. And to be fair, I did pester him after class until he told me, and even then he just spelled it out, didn't say it. I had totally never heard it before. Even armed with this new knowledge, I didn't know what it referred to.

My 7th grade Reading teacher taught me the C-word, because I was apparently the only student in the room who hadn't heard it...And to be fair, I did pester him after class until he told me, and even then he just spelled it out, didn't say it. I had totally never heard it before. Even armed with this new knowledge, I didn't know what it referred to.

Wait--there's a 'C' word.... :confused1:

And I'm in college???

I have to laugh, because this reminds me of when my dd was in kinder (before I pulled her out), and the school had her sign an oath not to "do drugs". I was like, "whaaa?" My dd has no idea what this paper is talking about. Public schools are fun!

Don't even get me started about the drugs lessons targeted at little kids. I don't know about where you all grew up, but everyplace I've ever lived, nobody offers illegal drugs to little kids, and they don't happen to find them in various convenient places along the walk to school. Telling my kids not to take drugs is meaningless. They are going to take whatever drugs I tell them to take, no more, no less. Same with cigarettes and alcohol - they won't be having the opportunity to get addicted any time soon. So why does their 1st grade health book go on and on and on about these substances? Way to make kids focus on things they wouldn't even think about otherwise. :/

Wait--there's a 'C' word.... :confused1:

And I'm in college???

LOL . . . did you not have older brothers?

My older brother told us about this word so we could feel more "grown up." My sister and I were probably about 5 and 7 at the time. My mom then said something to my sister using the usual "baby word" for that part, and my sister chirpily corrected Mom with the "correct, sophisticated" word. Mom was horrified, and sister learned that the "C" word is not something you ever say in front of your mother.

Don't even get me started about the drugs lessons targeted at little kids. I don't know about where you all grew up, but everyplace I've ever lived, nobody offers illegal drugs to little kids, and they don't happen to find them in various convenient places along the walk to school. Telling my kids not to take drugs is meaningless. They are going to take whatever drugs I tell them to take, no more, no less. Same with cigarettes and alcohol - they won't be having the opportunity to get addicted any time soon. So why does their 1st grade health book go on and on and on about these substances? Way to make kids focus on things they wouldn't even think about otherwise. :/

My DS had a "anti-drug" week coinciding with "Red Ribbon Week" in PS (throughout school, so K was included). And the teacher was telling the kids to say No to drugs - I volunteered in the classroom that day and I heard what she was talking about - she said "drugs are bad for you. You need to avoid them to stay healthy. But there are "good" drugs that your doctor might prescribe and you need to take them as per a trusted adult's instruction!".

"good drugs" and "bad drugs"? Give me a break! I keep a hawk eye on my son and as a 5 year old, he does not even get to eat snacks that are not packed by me (not even my husband packs his food) let alone consume copious amounts of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes on a daily basis. I sat through 10 minutes of her lecture on cigarette smoke, alcohol and drugs. That day my DS came home and asked me what smoking meant and what alcohol was. He was getting an education from school, alright.

My little girl rode the bus when another kid gave her candies from a baggie. He was a 5th grader who was carrying his own meds cause his mom was too lazy to go to the school and sign the paperwork for the nurse to dose him. She was in the hospital for days on an overdose. I had drug dogs in my house and my kids questioned. Finally it all came out and the mother got in major trouble. Do not tell me little kids cannot get drugs because that is just not true.

You never know where anything comes from. The ciggerettes they find in public bathrooms the bigger kids around them. My son came home from church with alcohol once in a little sippy cup. He found it in the bathroom and thought it belonged to his little sister so he brought it to me. It was OJ and vodka.

My little girl rode the bus when another kid gave her candies from a baggie. He was a 5th grader who was carrying his own meds cause his mom was too lazy to go to the school and sign the paperwork for the nurse to dose him. She was in the hospital for days on an overdose. I had drug dogs in my house and my kids questioned. Finally it all came out and the mother got in major trouble. Do not tell me little kids cannot get drugs because that is just not true.

You never know where anything comes from. The ciggerettes they find in public bathrooms the bigger kids around them. My son came home from church with alcohol once in a little sippy cup. He found it in the bathroom and thought it belonged to his little sister so he brought it to me. It was OJ and vodka.

Wow, that's awful, but they don't tell kids not to eat candy given by their friends, at least in my kids' class.

In fact, don't even get me started on the drug "sugar" / "HFCS" that the school pushes on our kids constantly, without the parents' permission, often even against the parents' direction. I have a kid who reacts to sugar the way some adults react to excess alcohol. If they were telling the kids not to eat candy unless received from a parent, I would actually be a lot happier.

I understand that as kids get older, they will be in situations where older kids will offer them drugs, in some neighborhoods anyway. However, I don't see that the instruction is targeted toward what the child actually will have to deal with. It assumes the child knows what a so-called "drug" is.

I also don't like the way the lessons seem to encourage kids to second-guess their parents' choices as adults. I rarely use alcohol (and never tobacco), but what if I decided to have a beer at the end of a long day? What if Grandpa likes his pipe at the end of the day? I don't need my kids' teachers telling them that the people they are supposed to respect don't know how to make good choices. I also believe in introducing my kids to alcohol while young so they don't grow up thinking it's a big deal. I don't mind the school eventually teaching them the specific health risks of alcohol poisoning and alcoholism (as I was taught at a much older age than 6). The way they teach the first grade is not "here are the effects, make a good choice," but rather "don't ever touch this" or "not until you are an adult." This applies to all kinds of ridiculous things such as cooking, using a knife, or cleaning with a chemical. It's all black and white and that makes it pretty much all stupid IMO.

I don't think you understand the anti drug ed kids are getting bc it certainly is made plain to them the difference between mom and dad drinking a beer and another kid offering them one. And "drug" is definitely defined.

Of course there is not one uniform curriculum being presented to all kids nationwide. I have read my kids' health book from cover to cover, though. I find at least 50% of said book to be inappropriate for the 1st grade. Mostly just worthless, but sometimes problematic. I feel they present this stuff in the 1st grade so they can feel like they are doing "something," without giving much thought to whether it would actually be better if they did nothing on many of these topics. When I was a kid, first grade health focused on dressing sensibly, eating a good variety of food, doing a variety of work, and approaching things with a cheerful attitude. Drug education was appropriately saved for later.

My 7th grade Reading teacher taught me the C-word, because I was apparently the only student in the room who hadn't heard it. It was a lesson on the evolution of language, how words like "Bloody" used to be really terrible and over time get downgraded, how "gay" can mean something very different if it is found in an 18th century text vs 20th. And to be fair, I did pester him after class until he told me, and even then he just spelled it out, didn't say it. I had totally never heard it before. Even armed with this new knowledge, I didn't know what it referred to.

A couple weeks ago, my DS7 very solemnly told my cousin that he is only allowed to say one swear word, the "C" word.

She was all :scared: :ohmy: :mellow: . Until he said "Crap, I'm allowed to say crap." :laugh:

It depends on the C word you ate talking about, there are a couple that I did not know until college. I don't cuss, DH rarely does. My kids don't know those words. I would NOT want a teacher to tell my kids anything about the words. That is my job.

I don't think you understand the anti drug ed kids are getting bc it certainly is made plain to them the difference between mom and dad drinking a beer and another kid offering them one. And "drug" is definitely defined.

I am really not sure what to say to those who are appalled at the idea of a teacher mentioning swear words as something the child should avoid. I simply can not understand the level of naiveté that would make one unfamiliar with a C word.

1. Yes, I would expect the teacher to deal with it, but individually. Unless the whole class was running around saying the word(s) there is no need to address the issue with everyone. I deal with language in my dance classes. I do not male speeches to the whole class of they use a word I don't want said in class, I tell the student.

2. I meant to quote another post, but I can't multi quote on my phone. I was more appalled at the teacher who taught the meaning of the c-word to the student. Even though she was in high school, still not okay with me. I would prefer my child be directed to ask me or my husband what a word means. That is what should have been done. That is what I do. Just say ask mom or dad and live on, redirect.

Edited by Moderator
Removed quote from deleted post.

A few weeks ago here a bunch 5 to 10 of 6 to 8 year olds were taken to hospital by their school because they took a pill given to them by a child who found them in an unlabelled container on the way to school. They turned out to be some herbal pills that luckily were harmless but it could have been so much worse.

The good new was that some children had the sense to say no and someone told the teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 16 I worked part time in a local theatre doing office work and answering phones. One of the stars of a recent production was the husband of a fairly famous actress, who voiced a very famous Disney character. His paycheck was late and she called to complain. I was lucky enough to take that call and that's how I learned the "C" word. Now, whenever my kids watch that Disney movie and I hear her voice, that's what I think of!