Menu

7/30 exercise thread

Hey ladies (and gents!)

How was your jaunt today? I was about to say this morning and then I realized, not everyone goes in the morning. Me, I'm a morning person. If I don't go in the morning, I don't go.

I'm testing a theory on my runs - I think I see a 1/2 pound loss the next morning when I run 30 minutes or more, but not when I run less than 30. I'm testing it. Monday I ran 28 minutes, no loss. Yesterday I ran 33 minutes, 1/2 pound. Today I ran 31. We'll see what it is tomorrow. It doesn't have much bearing on what I eat. I ate horribly last night!

Yes, I am trying to lose weight. According to BMI, I am overweight. I have 1 1/2 pounds (more) to lose to be at "normal". But then it's funny. I can lose 41 more pounds and still be considered normal for my height. I want to lose about 20 pounds. Then I am at a weight where clothes are easy to buy, for me anyway.

Funny thing about my poll - according to the poll, most wear cotton. According to the written out answers, most wear nothing!

So how was your jaunt?

Interesting theory! It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

I ran 3 miles this morning. It was SOOO humid it looked foggy. It hit me like a brick wall when I started. I wanted nothing more than to turn around and go back inside!! But, I ran! It was a sticky sweaty run, but I did it!! I ran through every sprinkler along the way too.

I'd love to lose a little more weight too. I've lost most of the baby weight (now that the babe is 2!), but I'd love to lose the last 10. I think my metabolism is changing because I'm only eating 1500 calories a day (or so) and not losing. And, my dd is still nursing. I lost the first 15 pounds by eating 1200 calories/day. And, I was hungry. I don't want to have to do that again!!

Anyway, great job!

I've been sitting here for 20 minutes waiting for this thread...:) I didnt want to start it myself because I did that Monday and even though I searched first I overlooked the one that was already posted.

Anyway!! I went 3.2 miles today! Walked half. I'm so excited. I got up at 5:30 and dh came a bit after me and caught up (show off). Our street is a hill of about a 20%...maybe even 25% incline. So we walk up and run down. Dh ran UP to catch up with me and he said it was very difficult.

I forgot to check my total time because I was about to drop when I quit. And then discovered dh had locked the door and I had to wait for him to unlock it.

I need to read up on warming up and cooling down. I know very little about proper exercise and I certainly do not want to hurt myself. No time for that.

And, my dd is still nursing. I lost the first 15 pounds by eating 1200 calories/day. And, I was hungry. I don't want to have to do that again!!

Anyway, great job!

My baby is 8. I nursed him until he was 2 and immediately gained 7 pounds which then crept up to 10 and finally 13 before I decided to lose it. You don't know how many times I've wished I could start nursing him again. ;)

Oh, to weigh 122 pounds again. Oh, wait...That would mean I gained 20 pounds before I started losing!! How depressing. Well, I'll be happy to get down to 127.

I've been sitting here for 20 minutes waiting for this thread...:) I didnt want to start it myself because I did that Monday and even though I searched first I overlooked the one that was already posted.

Anyway!! I went 3.2 miles today! Walked half. I'm so excited. I got up at 5:30 and dh came a bit after me and caught up (show off). Our street is a hill of about a 20%...maybe even 25% incline. So we walk up and run down. Dh ran UP to catch up with me and he said it was very difficult.

I forgot to check my total time because I was about to drop when I quit. And then discovered dh had locked the door and I had to wait for him to unlock it.

I need to read up on warming up and cooling down. I know very little about proper exercise and I certainly do not want to hurt myself. No time for that.

LOL! I was waiting for someone else to start it too! I was the other person who started this thread on Monday!

Awesome walk/run!!! I HATE hills. One thing I read about warming up was that it really doesn't do much good to stretch cold muscles. So, go out and start walking slowly or jog a bit and then stretch out. Since I started that my runs have been much better!

I ran 3 miles this morning. It was SOOO humid it looked foggy. It hit me like a brick wall when I started. I wanted nothing more than to turn around and go back inside!! But, I ran! It was a sticky sweaty run, but I did it!! I ran through every sprinkler along the way too.

I hate the brick wall effect of the humidity! Great job that you kept going!

I lost weight while running on 2000 calories before. Maybe you aren't eating enough and your body has gone into starvation mode??

Great job on the hills!

I am getting ready to head out the door for a 6 miler. :001_smile:

I hope you survive the heat!

I may be out in your neck of the woods in a few weeks. A friend invited us with them to Hatteras. Still lost of details to work out though. Of course I have no idea where on the coast you are!

This is my second week working out. Sixth day. I am doing the one mile Walk Away the Pounds. Since I am so out of shape and overweight it is the most I can do, but I am making all the way through!

Today my DS12 got up early and so I told him if you get up with me you work out with me!

My goal right now is to just get my body healthier by working out 5 days a week and walking(about 15 min. one way) to the park on Saturdays. So far so good.

Seems like there aren't many West coasters in our little accountability group. This thread is often just about done and buried when I chime in.:)

I'm off to run 3 or 4 in a bit here. Then tomorrow is a break day, Friday another short run, and Saturday my longer run. I tend to follow a 12-week half-marathon plan over and over again and I'm on week 4 of that right now. I'm way more consistent when I have a plan to look at and follow.

Yeah, the west coasters are still having breakfast or just getting up when you guys are all done with yours!

Even though my efforts are small, it's good to have accountability! I will be going out in a couple of hours I hope! In the mean time--Way to go ya'll!

The last few times I've run (treadmill), I've had pain behind my right knee the next day like I hyperextended my leg/knee whatever. Am I running off kilter or what?? I like to run every other day and today is my day to run but I don't want to overstretch that muscle even more. Still pretty sore.

What could be causing this? Did I just run too hard? (I'll admit that when I'm pressed for time I increase my speed so that I'll make a certain distance before I have to leave the gym...LOL)

Any remedies other than "don't run like a gimp??" :tongue_smilie:

We've had company and swimming finals. Now I need to get back to my routine. I ran/walked 1.75 miles. My achillies tendon hurt when I was done. I stretched before and again after I ran. I also put ice on it while I did my Pilates. This tendon is driving me nuts! It reminds me that I'm getting old. :D

Tomorrow I plan on doing something other than running/walking in order to let my tendon rest.

Interesting theory! It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

I'd love to lose a little more weight too. I've lost most of the baby weight (now that the babe is 2!), but I'd love to lose the last 10. I think my metabolism is changing because I'm only eating 1500 calories a day (or so) and not losing. And, my dd is still nursing. I lost the first 15 pounds by eating 1200 calories/day. And, I was hungry. I don't want to have to do that again!!

Anyway, great job!

My body always holds on to about 10 extra pounds until I've completely weaned and then it just falls off. I know some women lost it all while nursing, but I don't. It's like my body just "loves" that extra layer until it's no longer providing for baby.

Seems like there aren't many West coasters in our little accountability group. This thread is often just about done and buried when I chime in.:)

I'm off to run 3 or 4 in a bit here. Then tomorrow is a break day, Friday another short run, and Saturday my longer run. I tend to follow a 12-week half-marathon plan over and over again and I'm on week 4 of that right now. I'm way more consistent when I have a plan to look at and follow.

One of the reasons why I quit the last time (four years ago) was because I completed my 12-week plan and didn't know what to do next. I agree that having a plan to look at and follow helps with consistency.

Let us know how you do on your 3 or 4.

Hey ladies (and gents!)

Yes, I am trying to lose weight. According to BMI, I am overweight. I have 1 1/2 pounds (more) to lose to be at "normal". But then it's funny. I can lose 41 more pounds and still be considered normal for my height. I want to lose about 20 pounds. Then I am at a weight where clothes are easy to buy, for me anyway.

I am about in the same category as you. I would like to lose about 20-25 lbs and am just into the overweight BMI category, but I am small boned and really should be near the middle of the normal range. I hear you about the clothes buying. Couple that with a pear shape where the top and bottom are different sizes and you've got my shopping nightmare!

I began a personal challenge at the beginning of July. I told myself I would exercise every day in July. I didn't care what it was just as long as it was something at least 30 minutes each day. Mostly I have been doing brisk walking at our walking track. I have broken into a run a few times, but I have osteopenia and am afraid to run on pavement for fear of stress fractures in my feet. The extra pounds I am carrying make me a bit leery of this. When I don't walk I use my rebounder. We also have a rower I could use and a Y membership, but I usually only go there in the winter because I prefer being outside.

It has been great. I feel so much better energy wise and the exercise is getting easier and something I really look forward to doing. It has become a habit and I hope to keep it up. I have only missed three days and those were due to migraines.

I haven't lost any weight, but am more toned overall and my lower body feels much stronger. I could kick myself for not doing this sooner. I've put everything ahead of my own health and well-being for far too long.

So, now that I am at the end of July, I am excited to carry over my exercise plan into August. Even though I am a walker and not a runner or bicyclist, I wanted to share my results.

This is my second week working out. Sixth day. I am doing the one mile Walk Away the Pounds. Since I am so out of shape and overweight it is the most I can do, but I am making all the way through!

Today my DS12 got up early and so I told him if you get up with me you work out with me!

My goal right now is to just get my body healthier by working out 5 days a week and walking(about 15 min. one way) to the park on Saturdays. So far so good.

That's a great goal! I started out using the Walk Away the Pounds videos. Those are really good! I'll probably go back to them this winter when it would be dangerous to run outside.

Yeah, the west coasters are still having breakfast or just getting up when you guys are all done with yours!

Even though my efforts are small, it's good to have accountability! I will be going out in a couple of hours I hope! In the mean time--Way to go ya'll!

Yoohoo, Brindeeeeeeee . . . . We're waiting for an update!!! LOL

The last few times I've run (treadmill), I've had pain behind my right knee the next day like I hyperextended my leg/knee whatever. Am I running off kilter or what?? I like to run every other day and today is my day to run but I don't want to overstretch that muscle even more. Still pretty sore.

What could be causing this? Did I just run too hard? (I'll admit that when I'm pressed for time I increase my speed so that I'll make a certain distance before I have to leave the gym...LOL)

Any remedies other than "don't run like a gimp??" :tongue_smilie:

Maybe a ligament? I had that type of pain but on one side of my knee. I went to my dr who said it was the ligament and to rest it for a while. I iced it a couple times a day and worked on strength training. Then, I started walking and slowly worked back up to running. Getting new shoes helped mine.

My body always holds on to about 10 extra pounds until I've completely weaned and then it just falls off. I know some women lost it all while nursing, but I don't. It's like my body just "loves" that extra layer until it's no longer providing for baby.

Oh - I HOPE this is true!!!! It does feel like I have an extra "layer." I've been working out SO hard and eating VERY well. This is very frustrating. Now that you mention it, this did happen with my last child too. The weight did come off after he weaned. (I won't tell you how old he was! LOL)

I got up late(7:15) but I went anyway. Day 2 of my plan. It was harder today than Monday.

Great job!!! If I remember correctly, the first four days are a bit difficult. After that, it gets easier! Keep it up!

I tend to follow a 12-week half-marathon plan over and over again and I'm on week 4 of that right now. I'm way more consistent when I have a plan to look at and follow.

Sorry we're buried by the time you run. God for you for running!

Great idea about what to run. I hadn't thought of doing an actual training plan. I'll have to look one up.

So, now that I am at the end of July, I am excited to carry over my exercise plan into August. Even though I am a walker and not a runner or bicyclist, I wanted to share my results.

Keep posting!!! It's nice to keep everyone accountable! Congrats on your results thus far!

I haven't lost much weight either. I thought I would. I get down about it sometimes. But, I need to remember my bloodwork - ALL the numbers came down - even though none was high before. My resting heart rate is MUCH slower than before. And, I feel better. I need to remind myself of this every day!

Everyone is doing great!

Does anyone use a exercise ball for crunches? I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I think I can tell a difference in my flabby abs. I don't like the illustrations that came with the ball I bought though...anyone have a link to show some good uses for the ball besides crunches?