Menu

Anyone ever tried hard boiled eggs this way?

Joker

Yes, I made them in the oven for last Easter's egg hunt, though I just put them on the rack (I did about 7 dozen at a time if I remember correctly). It made it easy to make a lot of hard-boiled eggs and they tasted yummy. The only downside is that they tend to develop little brown spots, that you can mostly wipe off. I recommend this method if you need to make a bunch of hard-cooked eggs or if you have the oven on anyway.

I've done that! I prefer actually boiling them, though I can't pinpoint specific things I didn't like about the baked ones... Works well if you need to do a large volume of eggs. I'd do mine when I was already using the oven to save time and energy.

I tried it after seeing it on Facebook a few months ago and it was great! There were brown spots, but they were minor and not important to me since I was just making them for egg salad. They DEFINITELY peeled more easily for me than when I boil them.

I've done it. They come out great. I had the same experience with the brown spots so I wouldn't recommend it for dying eggs, but otherwise yeah it's not a big deal.

Yep, I do it nearly weekly. We LC, my kids like HB and deviled eggs, and it is nice to not have to really watch them. In my oven, I do 330 degrees for 27 mins, then an ice bath. I put them right on the oven rack. Super easy.

My kids will eat 3 or more a day sometimes, so doing them this way is much easier for me than in a pot of water. Works great for us. Yes, it leaves a tiny brown spot (very very small) on ours.

Well, I tried it and it was a total failure. My eggs were still runny and the white part wasn't even set after the instructed period of time. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I was using eggs of all different sizes from our own chickens- some huge eggs, some tiny bantam eggs and everything in between. Regardless, it's so darned easy to boil them the regular way that doing them in the oven just seems overly complicated.

I prefer them this way--very creamy texture. I usually eat a boiled egg and toast for b-fast each day. While the bread is in the toaster, the refrigerated egg goes over the empty slot to re-heat it. When I cooked my eggs in the oven, they were missing the slight moisture between the shell and egg that makes it easy to peel. If I eat them right away, they are fine, but re-heating over the toaster makes a hard-to-peel egg. So if I'll be using them immediately, I make them in the oven. If I'm going to be refrigerating and re-heating them, I make them on the stove.

• 2 weeks later...