Menu

What is the appeal of a dress where your girls are showing?

gingersmom

There was a period when men showed a lot of chest. At some points it was the hairy chest (plus or minus large gold jewelry), then it became the muscly chest (often with washboard torso), a la Ricky Martin. Obviously, though, the man would have to radically reform the suit/tuxedo, aside from leaving his shirt unbuttoned, to show skin. However, the male outfit, esp formalware, is so standard, so uniform, that there's not much room for individuality besides color or maybe a bow tie.

Trust me when I tell you not to google for men with hairy chest images.

It's all about publicity and getting noticed. The more outrageous, the more publicity with the hope of more career opportunities - especially for aging celebrities. Women who've made their careers about being "hot" become obscelete as they age. To me, it looks like they are desperately clinging to that "hot" image without trying to invent themselves as someone more timeless.

This might actually look nice on somebody with the body to wear it well. On the person photoed it looks ridiculous.

Um, well, if Heidi Klum doesn't have the body to wear this, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be worn. :) (She's a 5' 10"...a model who actually has some slight curves)

It's all about publicity and getting noticed. The more outrageous, the more publicity with the hope of more career opportunities - especially for aging celebrities. Women who've made their careers about being "hot" become obscelete as they age. To me, it looks like they are desperately clinging to that "hot" image without trying to invent themselves as someone more timeless.

I'm not defending the dresses from the links in the OP... they're just hideous, the second in particular (who is that woman, anyway?). But why shouldn't older women be hot? What makes me uncomfortable is a desperate clinging to youth. Though as Seth MacFarlane so aptly and repeatedly illustrated with his vile "performance" during the ceremony, it is only youthful beauty the entertainment is interested in, and then only in a thoroughly objective sense. We saw Jodie Foster's boobs during a depiction of a gang rape... and that is... fun... lighthearted? Really? And how many Oscar nominated movies passed the Bechdel test? This year, three... it was a banner year.

Breasts are beautiful. Man parts are...utilitarian. Please, please, don't make me look at them on the red carpet!
Too funny...I find breasts to be nothing more than utilitarian. Why men (or women) find them appealing in any way is truly beyond me. I don't show my "girls" to anyone because I find them to be so unattractive! Even seeing cleavage makes me squirm as I don't see anything sexy or appealing about it. I don't want to see someone's "girls" (in part or in entirety/almost entirety) any more than I want to see guy parts.

I agree that those two dresses are not attractive. But, it is mostly a matter of personal taste. Someone on this very board said that I looked slutty in a dress. So...*shrug*.

Seriously??? :eek: :eek: :eek: (And would it be rude to ask for pictures, because I can't imagine you looking slutty!)

Breasts are beautiful. Man parts are...utilitarian. Please, please, don't make me look at them on the red carpet!

I don't think breasts are any more attractive than "man parts." Personally, looking at a woman's chest does exactly nothing for me, but a hot guy in a kilt on a windy day... :drool5: :drool: :drool5: :drool: