Menu

Brown sugar: dark or light?

Janie Grace

Dark or light brown sugar?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What shade of brown sugar do you buy?

• Dark
    • Light
    • Both because I use them for different things
    • Either, because I have no idea how they differ
    • Neither (don't use sugar, make my own brown sugar, etc)
    • Where I live, there is only one shade of brown sugar
    • Other

Even though I love to bake and do so pretty often, I never feel sure about what "color" to buy. I haven't read anything about how they differ in terms of final product, or if there are certain foods that call for a certain shade of brown. I always just end of grabbing one randomly. I think I have both shades mixed together in my canister right now. So, how about you? Dark or light, and why?

Light always. I can't even remember ever tasting dark, but just because I know it has more molasses (and I don't really mind molasses--I like molasses cookies), I just think I would prefer the lighter taste. Less strong. One of these days I should try the dark to see the difference!

Dark. But really what I get is rapadura, which is a block of what would become brown sugar if it were more refined. I love love love getting it in a big block and shaving off what I need; it is so much better.

Definitely a perk of living where I live, and I guess a fair enough trade off for crazy-expensive maple syrup. (I can get molasses, cheap, but not maple syrup).

I have come across recipes by the Cooks Illustrated / Americas Test Kitchen folk where light vs dark does make a difference but they're few and far between and they even say that the majority of the time they are completely interchangeable. In that case I prefer dark over light.

When I buy it, I use dark.

For the person who asked the difference, dark brown simply has a touch more molasses added back in than the light.

Brown sugar is simply white sugar that has had some molasses added back in. If it is just a bit, it is light brown. If it is slightly more it is dark brown. I often don't have either in the house but I do have white sugar and I always have molasses. I just measure out the amount called for in white sugar and then add a couple tablespoons of molasses.

I don't know how brown sugar is made in the rest of the world. In North America it is white sugar with the molasses added back in. I am guessing some of the nicer varieties of brown sugar are not made that way. During the holiday season my local grocery store used to carry a variety of brown sugars from the UK. I would buy a couple of them and use them as needed.

The sugar I really love is those brown sugar lumps for tea. I can't find them for sale around here.

My mom would usually buy dark so we'd put less on our oatmeal since it would turn darker and look like there was plenty of sugar. In Kyrgyzstan I used date sugar (or something labeled date sugar) which had a strong flavor and now I've gotten back in the habit of buying dark brown sugar because it's a little more like that sugar. I don't really have a strong preference though.