Menu

Flu vaccine effective just over 1/2 of the time?

m0mmaBuck

This is the link to the news story: http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/50897691#50897691

I took a very non-scientific poll of my Facebook friends. I asked who had the flu vax and who has been sick. Most of those who got sick did not go to the doctor so there is no way to know whether they had the actual flu or not. However, what I saw was that 22 out of 127 of those who were vax'd had flu-like illness while 18 of the 139 who were not vax'd had a similar illness. That means 17.3223% of those who were vax'd got sick while only 12.950% of the non vax'd got sick.

So... I am assuming that for the CDC's numbers they are only taking into account those who actually go to the doctor and get tested. Do they just assume that everyone who got a flu vax stayed healthy unless they seek medical attention?

My assumption when I asked my friends was that it would come out about even, vax'd vs. non-vax'd.

I just wondered how they decide how effective the vaccine is given that almost no one I know actually goes to the doctor for flu-like symptoms. Out of the 268 people who chimed in on my FB poll, only 6 of the 40 that got sick actually went to the doctor and were tested.

A coworker was out almost all last week, and her son was confirmed to have the flu only a day or two before she started having symptoms. She did get the flu shot. I'm assuming that at least one of the rest of us who share an office suite will come down with it as well. But only two of us got the flu shot and so far she's the only one who's had the flu this season.

The only year I or my family fell ill with Influenza was the year that I had the vaccine, due to requirements at my work (I was a CNA). I had it first, followed by DH, then by DS. Dh and I both tested positive, they just assumed with DS b/c of that. None of us have had the vaccine any other time, and none of us have had influenza any other time either.

We almost always get the vaccine. The only year(s) any of us have had the flu is when we didn't get the vaccine. But of course that in and of itself proves nothing, 'cause it could be sheer luck. For all I know in all those years we all simply managed to avoid exposure. Or it could be the vaccine did protect us. Or a number of other variables.

FWIW, how effective the flu vaccine is depends in part on the individual's own immune system. A robust immune system will build a stronger immunity in reaction to the vaccine than a weaker immune system. My understanding is that's why the vaccine isn't as effective in older people. The older one gets, the less able the immune system is to respond robustly to anything.

I don't feel smug for not getting the vax. I very well might still get the flu. ;) My family hasn't been sick this winter (so far and I hope it stays that way) but my neighbor's family had the flu. They all got the vax but they all got the flu. They tested at the doctor.

I don't feel smug. I feel lucky. I just don't see the point of getting the shot if there's still a good chance you'll get the flu. But that's me. Each family needs to make their own decision of course.

My real question to the matter regards the data gathering of the CDC. I assume that the CDC only knows/recognizes the cases of flu that were confirmed by a doctor who ran a test to confirm them. That would mean that the only data that they have in deciding the effectiveness is from people who actually went to the physician after falling ill. Therefore the data is skewed. Is that correct?

I just don't see the point of getting the shot if there's still a good chance you'll get the flu. But that's me. Each family needs to make their own decision of course.

The protection isn't a guarantee. But it can help, so we'll keep getting it.

My husband and son both have asthma. The flu is going to be worse for them. More people die from the flu if they have underlying conditions. Any protection is worth it.

I had the flu in high school and again with the first wave of the swine flu. In both cases, I was absolutely wiped out. If the shot gives me any protection, it's worth it.

I do think sometimes that my son's severe food allergies that led to extreme hand washing in our family may also help us with flu and colds a lot. (Keep trying to look for that silver lining!)

I go back and forth on the shot. We got it this year and I'm well aware of the lack of effectiveness. We didn't get the shot last year and all of us, except me, did get influenza. We got the shot this year and no flu but I realize we could have gotten it even with the shot. My hope is that it would mitigate the effects given I have two asthmatics and one child with more complicated issues beyond. My understanding there is only well done study of the vax in asthmatics and it didn't significantly improve outcomes once infected in that study. So even that is sketchy. I just like to feel I've done something I guess. Also, I didn't want to have to tell the geneticist that I didn't vax for the 2nd year in a row should he have come down with it this year!