Menu

Kindle or Nook for 9 y/o who loves to read but needs bigger font

Our 9 year loves to read. She is able to read at a much higher level than some of the books she keeps gravitating towards. The reason, she needs the font size to be larger. A lot of the great classics and books she would like read just have that smaller font.

She did complete 9 months of vision therapy - which got rid of her headaches.

We have ipads, but no kindle or nook. Which do you recommend for reading so that she can enlarge the font size? Also, my dh read somewhere that the color screen on the nook color one is actually harder on the eyes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

We have a nook tablet and 2 regular nooks, and our 9 year old avid reader uses our regular nook. We love it, and it is very user friendly. It is easy to adjust the font so it works best for you. I have used a kindle, and I just feel like the nook is easier to navigate. However, Amazon does have many more free books than I have been able to find on Barnes & Noble. So we just read those on my Kindle app on my phone. For real reading though, my dd prefers her nook over my nook tablet.

Have you had her eyes rechecked? She may need glasses or she may need more VT. She shouldn't be having a problem with font size. I know what you mean, because it was what got dd at that age, same deal. If your VT doc is blowing it off and saying she's done, I'd get her eyes checked by a different VT doc. Just saying.

Our older two kids, my husband, and I all have Kindles. We love them! Adric, my 6 year old, likes to read things on mine with the font really huge. We all (except my husband) have Fires. As little as the 6 year old reads at a time right now, reading on that is not a problem for him. For reading longer periods of time I much prefer the eink Kindles.

Since eye-strain might be a problem. Limit your choices to the e-ink technology. Otherwise, it is basically a computer screen. I love my Nook Touch, but if I were buying today, particularly for someone like your daughter I would get the ... I think it is called Paperwhite version of the Nook or Kindle.

Since she is a 9-year-old reading at a high-level, the Gutenburg project should keep her in free books for a long long long time.

My kids and I all have the Nook Simple Touch (mine has the glow-lite, so even though it is still e-ink and not backlit-- easier on the eyes-- no separate book light is needed). Adjusting the font is simple, and you can borrow from the library as well as everything else. These things are rugged, and the B&N customer service was superb when TSA made a concerted effort to deliberately shatter my original Nook.

Eventually you will probably want a Kindle, it is generally easier on the eyes than the iPad. However, if you download the Kindle app (free app) on the iPad, it works like a Kindle, just backlit. You can get the font size really big. I use the largest setting at night if I want to read without my glasses, several sizes smaller if I am reading with glasses.

I would test out both the Kindle and Nook with her and make sure that they both work well with her vision, different people will have better luck with different things. I know some people who have gone through vision therapy who prefer a Kindle, but some actually prefer the backlit of the iPad at a certain brightness, it really depends and there is no way to tell without testing it out.

Eventually you will probably want a Kindle, it is generally easier on the eyes than the iPad. However, if you download the Kindle app (free app) on the iPad, it works like a Kindle, just backlit. You can get the font size really big. I use the largest setting at night if I want to read without my glasses, several sizes smaller if I am reading with glasses.

I would test out both the Kindle and Nook with her and make sure that they both work well with her vision, different people will have better luck with different things. I know some people who have gone through vision therapy who prefer a Kindle, but some actually prefer the backlit of the iPad at a certain brightness, it really depends and there is no way to tell without testing it out.

Good point. I prefer the regular Nook, but my mother-in-law has been having some issues with her eyes, and she prefers something back-lit. It might help to let her try out several different things. I believe all of these are available at Target so you can play with them to see what she prefers.

My dd7 has a kindle paperwhite. She puts the font at its largest setting just because she likes it that way.

I do too. Well maybe not the largest. But about 70-80% of max. When I was nursing I switched to large print books because I could have my glasses off and have the book be a wide-range of distance from my face. Then I discovered that Large Print is just easier on the eyes.

I think the only thing that could improve my e-reader is a remote page turner clicker. I read in bed often.