Menu

I quit!

chocoholic

Pain from shingles is reason enough to call off the week.

You don't have to hate homeschooling. You don't have to hate yourself or your kids or feel guilty. Just call off school for the week, or until your doctor shares your opinion that you are well enough to work. Homeschooling is work.

Shingles is nothing to sneeze at. I'm so sorry you are sick.

(((Hugs))) Shingles is no joke! You need to rest. You can't expect things to be decent and in order if you are sick.

I just found out we have to move next week and its totally unexpected and on top of that everyone has had ear/sinus infections and I'm coming down with a cold. I cannot keep everything together, and it's just going to be a fact of life that the next few weeks will be taken as they come.

Btw will someone tell me what b&m is? I see that a lot so I'm curious. I'm assuming its something different than PS.

Chocoholic please take care of yourself. Your kids need you to be well. Happy thoughts heading your way!

Sorry that you aren't feeling well.

Is b&m school something that you would consider for your kids? Maybe if they finished out this year there (while you healed), they would appreciate being home next year.

Unfortunately I don't think that is an option. My kids have never been in school, only homeschooled. Which makes me feel even more trapped. I do hate my life right now.

HUGS!

I would take a break. A long one if you need to. Public school kids get three months off in the summer. There is nothing saying you can't take three months off in the winter! We took January, and a good part of February off. I do not function well in the winter time.

Hope the shingles go away soon. It's no picnic.

I hope I get really sick so I can't homeschool anymore. Seriously.

If you really are serious, this is reason enough to stop.

Unfortunately I don't think that is an option. My kids have never been in school, only homeschooled. Which makes me feel even more trapped. I do hate my life right now.

Lots of kids who have always been homeschooled end up in PS at some point. You're not trapped. Continuing to homeschool when you hate it isn't good for you or your kids. Or fair to anyone.

:grouphug:

I know what you mean! My 8yo asks every single day if tomorrow is a school day. About an hour ago, he asked me if the day after tomorrow was a school day. I said indeed it was, and he ran off crying up the stairs!!! Apparently, dh made him think he didn't have school this Friday and he was really looking forward to it. Not sure how he gathered that information. Neither of my kids like school. I just deal with it. I am trying different things to change that though.....it's likely they will never appreciate what I do for them. Oh well, hang in there!

I know what you mean! My 8yo asks every single day if tomorrow is a school day. About an hour ago, he asked me if the day after tomorrow was a school day. I said indeed it was, and he ran off crying up the stairs!!! Apparently, dh made him think he didn't have school this Friday and he was really looking forward to it. Not sure how he gathered that information. Neither of my kids like school. I just deal with it. I am trying different things to change that though.....it's likely they will never appreciate what I do for them. Oh well, hang in there!

My 8 yro dd got involved with some campus classes at a local charter one day a week and that's all she lives for. She asked if today is "the day" and when it's not, she crumbles.

We are working on fixing this though! Just introduced lap booking to her and she is thrilled so we will see how it goes. :)

Sounds like a wonderful time for the kids to do a documentary film fest. Get a huge pile of DVDs from the library, or spring for netflix? Some online classes that they pick? TimezAttack?

To be clear, I agree with you taking a break! But in my experience bored, unoccupied kids bug mom, so set them up with something absorbing enough that you have the space to rest.

Sounds like a wonderful time for the kids to do a documentary film fest. Get a huge pile of DVDs from the library, or spring for netflix? Some online classes that they pick? TimezAttack?

To be clear, I agree with you taking a break! But in my experience bored, unoccupied kids bug mom, so set them up with something absorbing enough that you have the space to rest.

:iagree:

My 8 yro dd got involved with some campus classes at a local charter one day a week and that's all she lives for. She asked if today is "the day" and when it's not, she crumbles.

We are working on fixing this though! Just introduced lap booking to her and she is thrilled so we will see how it goes. :)

Haha, I forgot about that. My ds does a Thursday co-op. I am forever being harassed about that as well.

I just came back here and realized that you have / had shingles. I had shingles, too, and the pain is truly terrible. The other, and in my opinion, even worse part of the disease is that it can be accompanied with insomnia and depression, especially if it isn't diagnosed immediately. I had those fun symptoms, and I well remember the days of pain, despair and feeling trapped. They were awful.

You need, need, need to take a break. This isn't a stiff-upper-lip sort of situation where you can get through it if you're just strong enough. Your body is worn out and is going to force you to take a break one way or another. Take it seriously. Get help in, send the kids to a local school for a couple of months, rely on DVDs ... whatever it takes to get you healthy again. Find a sympathetic, but no-nonsense friend or family member who will understand your values and can talk to you about this, but who will gently steer you away from "I'm trapped" feelings. There are always options, but you may need someone else to help you find them -- I sure did.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Wow, my husband had shingles a while back and it was horrible for him. I can't imagine how hard it is right now to keep the home straight and keep the kids in order when you are in pain. The kids will be fine if you take some time off. Take it easy and resume school once you feel better and yes, stress can let shingles in. Have a serious talk with your kids about your health and tell them to help you out. They are old enough to help out and to try to make your life a little easier while you get over your sickness. I have 3 girls and they are always bickering but when I feel sick, I have a serious talk with them and they behave for a few days until I have to talk to them again but atleast I get piece of mind for a few days.

I am reading what you are using. Perhaps they need a little temporary switch in curriculum plans for now. Classical Conversations can get tough and boring at times...I have heard. Can you drop everything you are doing right now until Summer?

Maybe do a unit study on Chocolate or whatever excites your kids from Amanda Bennett. Do one of those lapbooks or prairie primer or something more hands on. Or even just unschool for awhile. Your kids are entering preteen/teen--those are tough years regardless if you are homeschooling or not.

I had sent my kids to b and s school and man it was still pretty horrible. I am hoping by homeschooling this second set that preteen years will be easier. So far it is proving that to be the case.

Shingles--no fun. I had Bell's Palsy and the pain was awful too.

It is ok to drop whatever you are use and change up.

I had shingles in my back that was on the right side and wrapped around to the front on the side of the breast and it was so painful! I had it for 3 months and was on prednisone during that time. It came on because I was under the worst stress of my life - severe stress - which activated it for me. You need to 1. take a break, maybe even a long one 2. Get some help from friends/family 3. destress somehow! Don't give up entirely - this too shall pass!!

I've been there -- ready to quit -- without the shingles!

I strongly agree with the give-yourself-a-much-deserved-break suggestions.

What can the kids do all day? Documentaries, board games, audio books, more documentaries, classic-films-that-everyone-should-see, music days (I let my kids listen to music and play whatever they want for their music practice and they LOVE that and can fill hours with it), art days, write book reviews for Amazon, create stop-motion videos, photography days (give them the digital camera and let them create something), more audio books, more documentaries, etc. etc.

And you just stay on the couch and take something to help with your pain.

Hang in there!

Guest aurstarr

Shingles means you get to take as long as you want off. Find the kids some kids and books, have them go and do things with friends, but you need to rest.

I get shingles in my face/near my eye and across my scalp. It's horrible. Try taking lysine. I didn't find this out the first time I went through it, but mananged with the antivirals from the doc, but after that I did some research. Lysine can help suppress or reduce the severity of the herpes viruses. Both the cold sore type and herpes zoster (shingles/chicken pox). I used lysine to fight off the start of an outbreak earlier this year- I was stressed and my hair started the special tingling and my eyelid was starting to swell- characteristics of shingles for me. I immediately started 1,000mg lysine 3x's a day for 2 weeks then backed off to 500mg for another week. My doctor was pretty impressed as he'd never seen the study (I want to say it was University of Maryland). You also want to avoid arginine during an outbreak- meaning nuts and chocolate- because it helps the virus spread/work. Also consider upping your B12 which I have found since then (I developed a sun allergy a few months after shingles) is excellent for reducing skin reactions, irritation, and inflamation. I've even used it for my 4 year olds recently developed food allergy, within an hour or so her skin rash will go away if I catch it while developing, otherwise it cuts the time in half. With shingles it is very important to rest and heal as quickly as possible, the longer you are going through it the higher your risk for the nerve damage syndromes, which can last years.

Just call school good for the year- the good part of homeschooling is flexibility. Everyone needs a break right now, especially you. If you aren't ready to pick it back up by fall consider public school. I know several children who have gone on to ps after homeschooling. Some decide to stay, others realize how good they had it, come back home and start taking a more proactive role in their education.

Good luck!

If you really are serious, this is reason enough to stop.

Lots of kids who have always been homeschooled end up in PS at some point. You're not trapped. Continuing to homeschool when you hate it isn't good for you or your kids. Or fair to anyone.

Yes. Hobbes went to school at 10 having always been home educated. It worked well.

I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time.

Laura

I too have been helped by Lysine. It sounds silly, but look at the symptoms of Scurvy and Beri Beri. Vitamins can cure things.

I think you need some time off, TOTALLY off, for a little while.

I've homeschooled through some serious illness. As one other poster said, bored children don't allow rest. Sometimes it is easier to give them some work, whether that is chores or school, if they are not good at entertaining themselves.

If and when you do start, for ME a combination of school-at-home for the skills, and DVDs for the content was the easiest for me. Arts can be done by DVD for awhile too, and then just by handing the children resources and telling them to go to it. Everyone is different, though, about what is easiest for them. I learned a few things by seeing how Art Robinson did things when his wife died. I don't use the curriculum, though, but have just have gleaned from people who use it.

Thank everyone. I feel completely burned out and I'm sure my stress is what brought all of this on. I have been researching/planning/worrying about a "the perfect" high school homeschooling curriculum/plan for my daughter ALL SCHOOL YEAR LONG - literally. (Subject for a different post - I am completely afraid & intimidated to continue to homeschool through high school.) I am sick and tired of worrying about it. I am a tutor at Classical Conversations, we host and lead a small group once a week (from our church) in our home, and I have one or both of the kids in 2 art classes, swimming lessons 2x/week, youth group and speech therapy every week.

I know others have more kids & more on their plates & much tougher circumstances, but for me, this = maxed out. I do nothing to refresh myself. Well, I get a pedicure about once a month.

I am tired. And it is February. In Chicago. Which means no freakin' sunshine. (That alone is all it takes to send me over the edge.)

I truly need some rest.

This Saturday I am planning to get a nearly hotel room, by myself, and have a personal retreat to pray through these things all alone.

Everyone's kind words have meant the world to me. Thank you.

The weather here is killing me, too. I hate winter! I am not homeschooling yet, but will be starting next year with my 10yo DS who is in 5th grade and my 12yo DD who is in 7th grade right now. It sounds like we have kids the same age and I know how hard just regular life can be let alone homeschooling on top of it. I am still at the delusional (ha ha!) stage where I think everything will be happy and fun when we start homeschooling but in reality I know I will have days and even weeks where it's not working for us. I think, though, that since my kids have been in PS up until this point they will realize that homeschooling is still better than what they had in PS.

Are you in the city of Chicago, or suburbs? We are in Northbrook. I haven't found too many homeschoolers in my area. None, actually :) There are groups in Evanston and Skokie, Arlington Heights and Mount Prospect, but none in Northbrook.

A friend of mine in CT is doing Classical Conversations and is also a tutor. She says it is a ton of work, so maybe you could take a break from it for a while? I know it's hard to say no to people sometimes, but you need to take care of yourself first otherwise you won't be able to take care of anyone else.

I'll be thinking of you jealously while you are having your personal retreat :) DH and my son are doing a boy scout sleepover at the Shedd Aquarium tomorrow night, so DD and I will have our own little retreat.

Well, shingles really heals best if you nourish your soul and body. You need to call of all commitments and take a rest. Your body is telling you to take a rest.

Have you considered your family is not a rigorous family and that Classical Conversations is not a good fit? I have found, in our journey, that rigorous classical education was a poor fit. I was begging, pleading and dealing with all sorts of behavior issues. I would rather have a good relationship with our family then a Classical Education. Once you deal with roots of the issues, you might find a thrist for learning in your children.

I just recommended this book on another post http://www.amazon.com/Families-Where-Grace-Place-Manipulation/dp/0764207938.

Not all parents and/or children are a good fit for a cookie cutter classical education, especially for high school, and especially for 1st generation homeschoolers.

My oldest used American School correspondence school, went out to work, and attended family worship time.

My youngest studied a lot of math, Latin, Greek, and KJV Bible. In his later years he studied some shakespeare and the Loeb Classics. In his earlier high school years he did American School, but I was shamed into giving him "what he deserved" and I shot for the moon and got lost in outerspace, because I didn't have the resources to get him to the moon. He ended out with a GED.

Neither of my sons had anything like a typical TWTM high school experience.

For my tutoring students, they get some TWTM grammar and logic stage, with a bunch of shortcuts thrown on top that will prepare them for their tests and/or junior college.

For 1st generation families, many will never accomplish more than the grammar and logic stages of a classical education, and that's okay. Building a strong foundation is all some of us are supposed to be doing. To attempt more often models poor self-care, and that is harmful for EVERYONE. Not only does it hurt us, but it hurts the kids in the long run. They learn to see mom as expendable, and treat her badly, and then also treat themselves as expendable later on.

First and foremost take good care of YOU right now, for all sorts of reasons that will benefit your entire family. My story is sprinkled all over these boards about what happens when mom tries to do it all and doesn't take good care of herself.

High school is so scary. I know. I was scared poopless. I made some good choices and some bad ones. I made my worst ones out of fear, and my best ones when I wasn't afraid. We don't realize that we have more options than we think we do and we are CHOOSING to make this harder than it is.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• 3 weeks later...

" To attempt more often models poor self-care, and that is harmful for EVERYONE. Not only does it hurt us, but it hurts the kids in the long run. They learn to see mom as expendable, and treat her badly, and then also treat themselves as expendable later on."

I agree with this strongly. I'm going through a similar decision and am struggling. Thank you for saying this so cogently.

I really hope you are able to rest and heal quickly. It sounds like your plan to take a little retreat for prayer is a good one.

If you decide to try B&M school for a bit, let me encourage you. My middle child had a really poor attitude about homeschooling, and I finally couldn't take it anymore. We sent him to school a year and a half ago. He did just fine at school, but guess who is begging to come back home again? A little classroom school fixed his attitude about homeschooling.

At the very least, though, you do need a break to heal. Everyone else had some great suggestions. And not all kids are cut out for classical education. I gave up on classical education with my freshman at the beginning of this year. She's doing online school through a local charter school, and it's working really well. It's no classical education, but she's happier, and she's doing well. And therefore I'm happier, too.

" To attempt more often models poor self-care, and that is harmful for EVERYONE. Not only does it hurt us, but it hurts the kids in the long run. They learn to see mom as expendable, and treat her badly, and then also treat themselves as expendable later on."

I agree with this strongly. I'm going through a similar decision and am struggling. Thank you for saying this so cogently.

:grouphug: Welcome to the boards, newbie! :party:

I'm just warning everyone that this is an old thread, and that the OP may not be watching it anymore, or be in the same frame of mind.