Menu

Talk to me about Fairy Gardens. :)

Juniper

I don't know about a fairy garden, but I'm building a sunflower/morning glory playhouse this summer. You dig a trench around the floor plan for a 4 x 8 room (at the largest), plant two packs of sunflower seeds (if you can get different heights). This makes the walls. You plant and train morning glori3s. This grows over the sunflowers and makes a roof. I think you have to tie strings to grow the roof across. First time trying it.

I made one for my daughter 2 yrs ago. There are alot of ideas online. I wanted ours to be portable so i used a rectangle basket with handles (it's also what I had on hand!) I put in a rectangle green artificial flower foam block. Glued down moss and flat smooth rocks for a path. I used felt to make a blue pond, some green felt to sew a "leaf chair". I also made a small red mushroom. I re purposes some doll house items to include as well. It was fun. If I figure out how to post a pic I will. Have fun.

We have a fairy garden in a barrel outside. We planted tiny bonsai sized trees, scotch and Irish moss, and other small leafed plants. We have a dollhouse sized arbor, bench and gazing ball... And DS made a stone patio with flat stones, plus stone paths. It's fun. :)

We also have a multitude of fairy doors a la the Urban Fairy Operations, and "they" decorate seasonally.

Apparently, I have way too much time on my hands.

My girls saw an idea for a little fairy garden in a Family fun magazine. Completely on their own, 6 and 8 at the time, they went and found a couple of shoe boxes, filled them with dirt, then spent an entire afternoon scouting little plants to transplant into the box. Then I gave them a few flower seeds from an old packet that was open in the fridge. They found some moss (I didn't know we even had any moss!) some little grass clumps, a low growing weed with a flower on it, some rocks and then put the plastic center from a box of pizza for little tables. For a couple of weeks they were really good about making sure it was watered, putting crumbs on the table for the fairies etc. Then they lost interest and it dried out on the back porch. My older daughter can't wait to make another one this year.

What about a terrerium? We used old juice bottles and sprouted and grew dried beans.

The kids made one type of fairy garden at a homesteading fair this past fall at a craft project booth. They were made out of disposable metal pie pans, with soil added to the pan first. Then the booth had all sorts of fun little bits to add to it and decorate: moss, glass beads (the type you put in vases) to make stepping stones, twigs and bits of bark to build little structures, even pennies. They had a lot of fun. We could easily sow some seeds in there now that it's warming up.

Erica in OR

My kids make these all the time. They gather outdoor stuff - rocks, bark, grass, feathers, etc - and arrange it all to look like a fairy's house. They make them all around our property under bushes and by trees and in other such places. It's very spur of the moment and holds their interest for a long time. I don't get involved other than to admire the creations.

My dd and her friend were SO into this! They got started with some of the books in this series and just took off from there. I was always so impressed with what they came up with and the incredible detail they included. So much fun-- I occasionally still stumble across a little fairy home when I'm working somewhere on the property. :)

We do something similar, and call them Moss Gardens. My mil actually had us make some up a few years ago and sold them at her local farmer's market--they are really nice for older folks.

•  

•  

The ki

The kids made one type of fairy garden at a homesteading fair this past fall at a craft project booth. They were made out of disposable metal pie pans, with soil added to the pan first. Then the booth had all sorts of fun little bits to add to it and decorate: moss, glass beads (the type you put in vases) to make stepping stones, twigs and bits of bark to build little structures, even pennies. They had a lot of fun. We could easily sow some seeds in there now that it's warming up.

Erica in OR